Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Trading Post > Hi-Lo's for sale
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hi-Lo's for sale Selling a Hi-Lo or links to Hil-Lo's for sale

Old 04-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Choosing Between a Hi-Lo & a Tow-Lite

I need Help in a decision. Have to replace a seriously in need of a nearly complete restoration of my 2176B Hi-Lo and have two choices priced relatively the same.

The 1st is a 1994 Hi-Lo Classic 26BR,which looks to be in excellent condition. The only problem is that it is around 670 Miles away.

The alternative (which has yet to be confirmed as still available) at only $300 more is only a little more than 100 miles away. It is supposed (not in Hi-Lo inventory) to be 2000 Tow-Lite 2600TFB also 26' with a Bedroom.

Can anyone assure me that a Tow-Lite is as good an RV as a Hi-Lo? And, judging from the configuration, it would appear that the Hi-Lo has better air flow in transporting?

Does anyone have any advice between the two choices?

Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Site Team

I'd stay with the Hi-Lo if it were me. But, I'm a bit confused. My 2007 Hi-Lo is a "Tow-Lite" model (1707T). Are you sure the 26' one is NOT a Hi-Lo?

I'd look at them both, before making your final choice. Are they more or less in the same direction?

The reason I'd stay with Hi-Lo is due to the much lower wind resistance while towing.

- Jack

Old 04-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Yes, it's a TowLite, as usual, with "TowLite" on the side. It's shown on the Hi-Lo "Past Trailer" site too, although no 2000, but as a 2001.

Thanks for your opinion on the wind resistance. That could be a deciding issue. However, my old 2176B front is of similar configuration as the TowLite. and I know it towed better than a much smaller Pop-up. But, in a head wind it definitely slowed me down and took more fuel mileage.

The TowLite is nearly straight East, and the other is in Minnesota. I'm in S/W Kansas.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
Yes, it's a TowLite, as usual, with "TowLite" on the side. It's shown on the Hi-Lo "Past Trailer" site too, although no 2000, but as a 2001.

Thanks for your opinion on the wind resistance. That could be a deciding issue. However, my old 2176B front is of similar configuration as the TowLite. and I know it towed better than a much smaller Pop-up. But, in a head wind it definitely slowed me down and took more fuel mileage.

The TowLite is nearly straight East, and the other is in Minnesota. I'm in S/W Kansas.
One of the bigger differences in a Hi-lo and Tow Lite is the width, A tow Lite is 98" wide and I think the Hi-Lo is 5 inches wider. I have a 2005 27T and I specifically looked for a Tow Lite because of the width. The storage on the side of my house would not accommodate a Hi LO, but the Tow Lite I purchased had all the bells and whistles of a Hi- Lo. Going by Hi-Lo specs, the Hi-Lo is a little heavier than a Tow-Lite, but that is only on paper.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
sam

Default What to buy

No offence to either towlite owners or Classic owners. HiLo is the best aerodynamic trailer to tow. The towlite has lighter materials. The dinette cushions are cheap and it maynot come with a front shield on the front window. Look in the library for the specifications and layouts. The Classics come with upgraded appliances,cupboards and weigh more. Depends what your tow vehicle is. We have a Classic and would replace it with another classic. Use the buyers check list when checking out units. The units tend to come with cheap mattresses. Get what you really want and don't worry about travel distances. Keep us posted with your questions.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #6

Neither the Hi-Lo or Tow lite have especially good aerodynamics, what makes them good is even though they are a box, they have less frontal aera. The front of either doesn't matter much as it will be completely in the wake of the tow vehicle just a little wider. If the Hi-Lo is wider that will be a bigger penality than any little bit smoother the front and rear caps are. The rear caps don't matter at all, the air has already detached with that quick of rounded edges​. What they both need is less gap between the tow vehicle​ and a boat tail or Kahm back type of overhang on the back. Like you see on some semi trailers now. I think it would actually be able to improve the aerodynamics of your tow vehicle if done properly. I messed around with my Tow-lite and was seeing 14 mpg towing with a 5.7 Hemi SUV. The thing couldn't get better than 18 mpg without the trailer.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

I thank you all for your responses thus far. They are all helpful! Looking at the Hi-Lo Specs on both of them, they are both supposedly 94" in width (My old 2176B is only 91"), with the TowLite over 400 lbs lighter in axle weight. Then, the big thing, and I don't really know why (possibly the Holding Tank locations), is the tongue/hitch weight of the Classic Hi-Lo is 700 lbs vs. 570 for the TowLight. I think "that" my be the deciding factor, because I really do load mine down with many chairs, etc., for being a 2 week gathering place for an international music festival every September. I don't even sleep in it myself (my old 82 Chevy Sport Van has an enhanced rear Couch Double bed with padded extension/storage space behind), but normally have at least to 4 or more with one of these choices sleeping in the Hi-Lo.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #8

Interesting post. I tend to go with the tow-lite vs the "classic" , here, in terms of descriptions. They are both, indeed, "hi-los" with the difference being already discussed. I agree that a difference in width isn't a discernible factor in terms of wind resistance but weight will effect mileage though, between the two, I doubt the difference is much. The tongue weight, however, is a factor with regards to the capacities of your tow vehicle and I don't trust published "weights" on any trailer. The tongue weight is going to be what it is once you have it loaded. Without water , but with two groups 27 batteries and stuff loaded for a trip my tongues wight is close to 750 on my 2001 22 ft tow lite. My guess is the classic would be more.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote