Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Other stuff wanted Looking for something for your Hi-Lo? let us know.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #1

Default Factory Air Conditioner Cowling for Emmerson Quiet-Cool 1100

I have restored my 1998 Funmaker but one sore point still remains - the air conditioner cowling has become brittle from sun exposure and has broken in several places. I would like to replace it with original equipment but I can't find the cowling for an "Emmerson Quite-Cool 1100". If anyone knows where I might locate one (even a used one in good condition), I'd appreciate a reply.

If I can't find a factory replacement, does anyone know of another brand that fits and where I can get one?

mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #2

If not too far gone, you can repair it yourself.

Our A/C cover was getting pretty bad, with cracks growing from the mount holes, forming on the edges and also spider cracks in one corner. The mount hole cracks were probably due to stress, but all the others were from sun exposure.

I used a fiberglass repair kit. Comes with a pint of resin, hardener and about one square yard of special cloth. Just followed the directions on the container and it was actually pretty easy. I did drill all the cracks to prevent further spread. The patches I installed went on the underside, for appearance. Several months into the camping season I noticed some new edge cracks forming where I hadn't patched, so I went back and fiber-glassed (with the cloth) the entire inside edge of the cover. Now, after about 18 months, everything still appears stable without any new cracks and I'm a happy camper!

Another HTF member submitted a message describing how he had repaired end cap cracks the same way.

The repair kit can be procured at auto parts stores, boat shops, and most RV parts stores. Typically costs less than $20.

Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #3

Mikew -- If you wish to replace the entire AC, the one that came on my 2009 25-foot Classic (when I purchased the camper new in November 2009 from the factory in Ohio) was a Dometic 13,500 low-profile AC. However, dear husband and I have not been exactly happy with this AC. We live in very hot and humid South Carolina, and when this particular low-profile AC is working itself silly during the summer, the condensation does not efficiently flow from the AC channels to the roof and onto the ground. We get some backflow of water onto the floor in the camper. Dear husband has been working to solve this problem. The old standard size Dometic AC we had on our 2000 Jayco popup was very good.

So if you decide to replace the entire AC, see if you can find the old standard Dometic AC (13,500) off of a salvaged popup camper if the owner is selling parts from the camper. Of course, you would need to check out the AC first.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

I appreciate all the feedback. I would think there are several of us out there who have snagged a low slung limb, or shanked a Titleist, and have had to deal with this problem. I just needed to try once more to find a factory replacement before giving up and looking for an alternative.

My shroud is way beyond repair. It looks a lot like a wide grin on a snaggle-toothed kid. The entire back side is missing, and several of the side vents are broken out. I actually made an internal frame out of some old aluminum scrap to hold the pieces together, then attached nylon window screen to keep leaves and debris out. It's functional, but it look awful.

I can't really afford to replace the entire a/c unit. Besides, the old a/c still works (a little) and the strip heat works great. I replaced the back window and installed a built-in window a/c that'll get it down to a comfortable meat-hanging temperature in Florida July, so I don't really need the rooftop a/c. I just need to dress-up what's there.

Has anyone replaced their factory shroud with a newer "generic" one, and can you suggest the make, model, size, of anything that is an exact fit?

If not, the a/c unit sits in a metal pan, and the old cowl attaches to this pan along the bottom edge. As long as the "generic" replacement is the same size or larger than my pan, and is tall enough to conceal the duct work and condenser, I could probably make it work. What make, model, size did you use?
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #5

So true Dee. Our 2004 Classic 31ft has the low profile Dometic Penguin AC and it doesn't cool any where close to the Dometic Brisk Air standard profile one does on our 1996 Classic 26RD which our kids and grandkids are now camping in. The Dometic Brisk Air standard one gets so cold you could hang meat in there my hubby says. You can still purchase the old standard profile ones. Jim at J&R told me the one reason they used the low profile ones on the newer classics is because they had the sleek design and they thought they looked better. Looks better maybe cools better NO. If ours goes out we will be replacing it with the standard Dometic Brisk Air one.

Mikew: Just look it up on the Dometic website Dometic Brisk Air standard. We live in Nebraska where the temp can get over 100 with humidity of 80% so I know exactly what your talking about.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #6

Deb i have the brisk air unit also and like you said that you can hang meat in there . I had the shroud broke on mine also and mended it with fiberglass sheets and epoxy. looks ok can't tell the difference from the road so who cares right as long as it works.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

Hi Mike,

Les (campthewestcoast) has completed some real cool sheet metal projects on his Hi-Lo. Inspired by his ingenuity, here's a suggestion:

Why not check out a sheet metal shop or a local A/C and Heating repair/installation outfit (most do sheet metal ducting fabrication), and see what it would cost to have a new cowl made. Might not be as aerodynamic as a molded plastic cowl, but it would get the job done! Essentially a cowl is a five sided box...should be relatively easy and cheap to build out of aluminum sheet metal.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
sam

Default Replacing plastic Air conditioner shroud

We had to replace our air conditioner unit several years ago. We always keep an adco cover on it as the sun and elements can do a number on it. Our Ac is so cold we have to turn it down in our 25ft. Classic. Wife always wants it colder DH freezing wants it less cold. Answer: send hubby outside to get some sun/heat.Our make is a carier (sp).
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #9

Paul,
I agree as long as it cools and cools well who cares. My husband was really disappointed with the air conditioner in the new Hi-Lo after having the another one in the old Hi-Lo. We use a couple of smaller box fans to move the air alittle more but sure wish we had the other air conditioner on those hot humid days.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #10

DebW and all -- I need to make a correction to the name of the AC on my 2009 Hi-Lo Classic. It is a low-profile Duotherm and not Dometic. My old standard Duotherm on our 2000 Jayco popup was the one I was praising.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 AM   #11

Dee,
Not a problem we are talking about the same air conditioners. The Duo-Therm is made by Dometic. There is the Duo-Therm by Dometic Brisk Air which is probably the one you had on your 2000 Jayco and now you have the low profile Duo-Therm Penguin which is by Dometic also on your 2009 Hi-Lo. The Duo-Therm Brisk Air seems to be a better air conditioner is regards to cooling. The low profile one just doesn't seem to work as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #12

Mikew. Remove the AC and replace it with a 14" roof vent. You will lose the heat strip but it will look a lot better than a busted up AC shroud on the roof.

Cheers
Garyk
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

I know this is an old post, but did you ever find a shroud to replace your Emerson Quiet Kool 1100 shroud? I have the same thing on my HiLo and it still works great, but the shroud is literally in little bitty pieces. I also would like to replace the shroud. Thanks in advance for any input.

Dennis H
Goldwinginterstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #14
sam

Default Fyi

I was able to buy a fiberglass repair kit at Walmart. It is usually cheaper than an auto supply store. Try Jay at Manteli Trailer sales and see what he can do for you. 1-716-625-8877.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote