Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Question 1995 Palomino T-195 Repairs

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and new to the RV world as well. I recently purchased a 1995 Palomino T-195 (Thoroughbred?). I got what I still think was a good deal @ $700 even considering it had what appeared to be slight damage to the roof. I have experience with carpentry, so I figured it was within my abilities to repair.

Upon further inspection of the roof/ceiling, I realized that I'm going to have to replace the wood between the two metal flashing panels (in two sections out of four or five) of the ceiling itself. Also, I will have to replace the crown of the "cap" along one side of the trailer.

I still feel as though I am capable of making those repairs with the help of a few friends/case of beer.

I am at a crossroads though:
Can I make it permanently a Hi trailer? It seems like a whole lot of work in the first place... why not make it custom, eliminate the low setting and make the soft sides hard (They've seen better days).
Am I losing gas mileage if I do convert it... and would it be significant? I towed it home with a 2008 Tahoe and couldn't see over it anyway.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I hope I posted this in the right forum.

-Ken

KennyDunscomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Palomino soft side trailers are totally different than Hi-Lo brand trailers. Are you sure that you are posting in the right forum?

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
Palomino soft side trailers are totally different than Hi-Lo brand trailers. Are you sure that you are posting in the right forum?
Well, when you Google Hi-Lo Trailer Forum, it does say, "www.hilotrailerforum.com/‎Cached
SimilarHi-Lo camper travel trailer forum. ... Howdy campers! you don't have to own a Hi- Lo camper to be a part of our forum. If you wish to post (write) to the forum you'll ..."
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Well, when you Google Hi-Lo Trailer Forum, it does say, "www.hilotrailerforum.com/‎Cached
SimilarHi-Lo camper travel trailer forum. ... Howdy campers! you don't have to own a Hi- Lo camper to be a part of our forum. If you wish to post (write) to the forum you'll ..."
I fully understand this. My point was that he may get a better answer if he posted to a different forum.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyDunscomb View Post
Hello,

I am new to the forum, and new to the RV world as well. I recently purchased a 1995 Palomino T-195 (Thoroughbred?). I got what I still think was a good deal @ $700 even considering it had what appeared to be slight damage to the roof. I have experience with carpentry, so I figured it was within my abilities to repair.

Upon further inspection of the roof/ceiling, I realized that I'm going to have to replace the wood between the two metal flashing panels (in two sections out of four or five) of the ceiling itself. Also, I will have to replace the crown of the "cap" along one side of the trailer.

I still feel as though I am capable of making those repairs with the help of a few friends/case of beer.

I am at a crossroads though:
Can I make it permanently a Hi trailer? It seems like a whole lot of work in the first place... why not make it custom, eliminate the low setting and make the soft sides hard (They've seen better days).
Am I losing gas mileage if I do convert it... and would it be significant? I towed it home with a 2008 Tahoe and couldn't see over it anyway.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I hope I posted this in the right forum.

-Ken
You may want to go to PopUpPortal and pose your questions.
PopUpPortal
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
palomino roof repair