Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Best hi lo

HI--New to this forum. Am kicking around the idea of purchasing a Hi Low trailer. I did a search for "Best HI LO" and nothing came up so am starting a new thread. I've had several pop ups, travel trailers and motorhomes. Did a lot of time in tents also. You might say that a guy my age would look for something bigger and less work to set up and such. But i'm looking for something to get the wife and myself into the woods further. I only have a couple needs when purchasing a rig. I'm 6'-4" tall and I need a bed that I can actually sleep in. I also need a little head room to move around. I think this limits me to the 24' models but not sure. Be nice to find a model that is less likely to leak--ha. Weight is no problem. Durability and functionality are pluses. So, if you can steer me in the right direction here that would be great. I can travel for right deal. Oh yea--The wife is picky so cleanliness is desired. Think I've covered everything here. Glad I found this forum. Sure can't find any forums for the travel trailers I've had in the past. Thanks much

hunter100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Team

hunter100, Welcome to the Hi Lo forum. At six-four your head WILL scrape on just about any Hi Lo. And the roof A/C shroud will be a head banger for you. I'm an even 6'er and I still duck under the A/C. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the 24'ers have a queen bedroom. My 27'er does and those bigger also. BUT, these are RV sized queens, meaning they are just a bit shorter. My IS fitted with a full sized queen, and we have no problems. You can check the floor layouts on the net I'm sure. Also there is a link in the "reference" section of the forum.
That should get you started.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

I am shrinking with age. Maybe one will "fit" someday--ha. I even hit my head on the AC in our current motorhome. I've seen some Hi Lo's with 77" ceilings--just not around here.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
hunter100, Welcome to the Hi Lo forum. At six-four your head WILL scrape on just about any Hi Lo. And the roof A/C shroud will be a head banger for you. I'm an even 6'er and I still duck under the A/C. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the 24'ers have a queen bedroom. My 27'er does and those bigger also. BUT, these are RV sized queens, meaning they are just a bit shorter. My IS fitted with a full sized queen, and we have no problems. You can check the floor layouts on the net I'm sure. Also there is a link in the "reference" section of the forum.
That should get you started.
Tree
Thanks Treeclimer
Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Team

hunter, Back again. Also under the "reference" section, the is one labeled "Hi Lo owners manual". These are about 32 short videos describing the need to know systems of the Hi Lo. Pretty good info for the Hi Lo beginner with questions.
Please be patient (sp), as this is non-camping season for most of the US, people aren't real avid about checking the forum daily. So any questions you have will surly be answered soon.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 01-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Site Team

hunter, BTW, 2019 Hi Lo Rally will be in your state this year, June I think. We went to the Branso, MO this passed June. Wonderful seeing old to new Hi Los. Prior to this, the most we ever saw at one time was three at St Andrews CG, Panama City, FL. These are truly RARE birds.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 01-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #7

I see your eagle/flag and Andrews, NC address. Were you at Andrews Air Force Base? I did 2 month at Lejune way back when before going to Nam. I look for things to buy out of season hoping to get a better deal. Tax time coming up soon and people need money. I'll explore the different sites here soon. I did find a wanted section so far. Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #8

Hunter:

Check the Library section on the homepage and look for the "Hi-Lo Brochure" button. The brochures will give the specs for the various years and models. I believe the Classics have more interior headroom. For example, in the 2004 brochure, a 24LT interior height is 75.25 and the 24C (Classic) is 78".

Welcome
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #9

Thanks Piperjim. I'll do that right now.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

I really can't add anything. You have been given some good advice. What will your tow vehicle be?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #11

Hi Sam. I am wondering if over the years some Hi Lo's had better construction or did they skimp on later years. Also, i'm wondering if the roof material changed and if so, are some years more prone to leakage. A trailer with less upkeep would be desireable if there is such a thing. I have an older Chevy Suburban 2004 with an 8.1 liter engine. It's a workhorse but only gets 10 mpg no matter what your pulling or not pulling. I have this same engine in a 2002 30' class C motorhome that weighs in at 10K pounds and both the car and motorhome get the same gpm. Did some looking last night around the country to see what is available for Hi Lo's. Some get pretty spendy. I did learn that i need a "classic" style for more headroom inside. I also see some models where the dinette can be turned into a king bed which would be great. I see these trailers that sit low to the ground. Most people here move the springs on top of the axles for more ground clearance. Almost a given for back country camping here. Another reason i'm looking at Hi Lo's is because i don't need to climb a ladder to inspect the roof. I just need reliability and comfort and low maintenance--ha. I was looking at older Holiday Rambler travel trailers for awhile but there are no parts available for these. I see alot of sources on this forum for parts and help that people are willing to supply so thats good. Can;t find much of this for a regular style camper. Thanks
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #12

In my opinion look at a classic 24 to 28 footer since you have a TV to pull it
Both models have tip out couches
The 28 footer has the larger bed and because of layout you could enlarge the bed in widith and length and still have a couch
The 24 or 25 footer uses the dinette for the bed but is easier to get into smaller campgrounds
I would look at 2001 to 2009 years because of fiberglass front and rear caps and a rock shield protecting the front window if drive on gravel roads
All hi los I believe have torsion axles which are very good but if you need to raise the height you have to weld on box tubing to the frame and then bolt axle to these
Roofing is either alumnium or rubber both types need to be maintained
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #13

campthewestcoast--thanks much. Good information here. I didn't know about the torsion axles--good to know. There are a lot of campgrounds that only allow up to 25' rigs. Hell of it is there is also the car that adds another 15 foot. Good to know about the fiberglass caps. Sounds more durable and prevents dings etc. from thrown gravel. I will be looking for a classic model. I'm sure the 24' model is in demand and might be difficult to find. Thanks for your help here. Was 2001 a big style change for Hi-Lo's?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #14

For 2001 the towlite switched to aluminum framing from wood framing not sure about the classic models I think they switched from steel framing to aluminum but not sure
How far would you travel to find the right trailer and would you want a tip out couch even if it was a 24 footer? Just wondering to keep a look out
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
For 2001 the towlite switched to aluminum framing from wood framing not sure about the classic models I think they switched from steel framing to aluminum but not sure
How far would you travel to find the right trailer and would you want a tip out couch even if it was a 24 footer? Just wondering to keep a look out
What price range do want stay in, I'm always looking to see what's out there
I've had my 22' 06 towlite for 8 years and could never part with it I just keep improving it
Old 01-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #16
sam

Default Getting a HiLo

You have been given some good advice. Your best bet would be to purchase one from a private buyer to get a better price. Probably more available in the spring. I hear you about getting 10miles to the gallon. Our gas hog truck get 10 miles per gallon. Love our 3/4 four door F250 anyway. Think of a trailer like a house. It has all the same parts that will wear out. Many HiLo parts are common to all rvs. Use the buyers check list when checking out a used RV. All trailers eventually leak and need repairs. Seems like you have checked out some back posts concerning repairs. Are you handy?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #17

Hunter, I have a 1999 22' Classic and it seems to me the bed has a lot of length to it beyond my 6' frame, the bed length set up side to side. TowLights are narrower. Of course, some people don't like sleeping on the bed you get by converting the couch. We do OK with a foam mattress cover on it, but it's definitely no more than double bed width, if that.

Another thing to note is the lift cables will stretch over time and they need to be adjusted properly to get the full interior height. When I bought mine the cables needed to be tightened a couple of inches.
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
anchorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #18

Campthewestcoast--for now i'm hoping to find something with in a few hundred miles of home. I have purchased and shipped 1 car, 1 jeep, 1 trike and flew to Virginia and picked up a van. Shipping is getting expensive even though I always use USHIP. Last night I nailed down some 2000 plus models. Appears they quit making the classic for one year then came back with only longer classics, and some models with shorter beds. In 2005 and 2006 there are 23C and 25C models that look nice. In 2003 there are 27C and 29C but beds are too small. In 2004 there is a 24LC with good ceiling height and longer beds. In 2002 there are no models with taller ceilings. And 2001 there is the 2201 and the 2401 that have longer beds. Done my homework last night. If a really good deal would come up on one of these and there was a way to check them out I might bite on one. Thanks for your offer to watch for one.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #19

Sam--I have 3 gashogs here. Probably why I don't get out much. We have a barn here for cover and this prolongs the life of our past rv's. My past experiances with travel trailers and such leads me to wanting to acquire one locally. We usually have a lot of snow so trailers are mostly sitting around all winter and hopefully covered with something. Less wear and tear. Lived in other parts of the country where things would rust or be milldood (spelling). Seen a lot of campers that are year around campers so I just figure these will need more mechanical repairs. But it also seems like campers are more expensive here. I did read a lot of threads here and am learning a lot about Hi Lo's and will probably be getting one when the right one pops up. Gonna have to build another barn soon. Thanks for your reply. For some reason I am not getting notices by email so am just checking forum here and there.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #20
sam

Default Seems like your research is paying off.

I'm sure their is a HiLo with your name on it. Just have to be patient. Go to the HiLo Rally and I am sure owners will let you have a tour of their RV. Breaks my heart when I drive by a storage lot and see just about all the RVS without covers. Pay now or pay later. I don't believe a four season trailer would be in need of more repairs. I have been studying Out Doors RVS that are four season. Doesn't cost anything to dream!! Sounds nice..a big barn for all your stuff.