Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #41

Sorry sam, not to rub it in, but today is an air conditioning day, 80+ all week. My Hi Lo is in NC, otherwise I'd be waxing and other maintenance.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #42

I have not heard of may folks replacing axles. I put "spacers" under mine to raise the overall clearance and that is a popular mod. I have a 2001 22' , by the way, and feel the bed( couch conversion) is long enough, but Im just 5'11" . Wife is about 5'4" so it works for her. If I DID replace an axle it would be because of their rating. My trailer is a double axle and the weight rating of them together is below the gross weighting for the trailer, meaning the engineers decided the tow vehicle should carry some of that weight. There is no good reason to do this other than to save money. Speaking of all this- my 2001 came with 13 inch tires and the way the axles are spaced you cannot put larger tires on. Later years accomodated 14 and 15 inchers. That might be something to pay attention to.

I have to go out now and chip ice. good luck.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #43

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Think I need to type faster because I have been cut off for the third time. Not sure why it says i'm logged in and then when I post a reply everything is lost and it asks me to log in again.
hunter100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #44

Hunter, that sounds like an ISP connection problem to me. It's probably timing you out too early for "inactivity".

Rick, my single axle, rated at 3500# is below the GVWR of 3800# for my trailer too. When I called Dexter Axle about having one with a higher rating installed, they told me it wouldn't fit. So far, the axle has not given me any problems though, now that I've had it moved a bit.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #45

FYI-- etrailer sells bolt on torsion axles rated at up to 5200# Part Number TASR5200S03
$$$
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #46

Been searching for a leaf spring conversion and found none. Did find a 1982 model hi lo with a spring axle though. Hope to find the guy that had leaf spring conversion that I read about. Didn't save it to favorites.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #47

Jack & Janet--Thanks for that. There is a source for axles sold by the inch somewhere I've read about. Why did Dexter say that a new axle wouldn't fit? Was it the conversion or maybe the length available?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #48

I think the length was too long, but I'm not sure. I was told the wheel clearances would not be correct. AND, she may well have been wrong about that. If I needed a new axle, I'd certainly try to get one with more than a 3500# rating.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote