Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Default Bunk Bed Retrofit?

Brand new member here and this is my first post.

I don't own one just yet but will be looking at a few in the coming weeks. The Hi-Lo's are not very common here in Canada.

If the Hi-Lo does not come with a bunk from the factory, my understanding it can be added with the factory hardware and parts. However, finding one seems to be the difficult task.

My question is... has anyone ever built one and retrofitted it in the space above the dinnette?

I'm looking to see if it's possible to build one for a Towlite 17T. I believe the bunk measures approx. 85x45 inches.

Can someone take some detailed measurements and pictures of the bunk bed? If I do end up building one, I will post a how-to with pictures.

Thanks.

TDIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #2

Wecome to the Forum. I added one to mine that I bought from someone getting rid of their's. I know J&R repair sells them too and will ship them to you. Mine already had the hardware in the walls and ceiling so mounting the new one was just a matter of bolting it into place. Good luck!

boater454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIer View Post
Brand new member here and this is my first post.

I don't own one just yet but will be looking at a few in the coming weeks. The Hi-Lo's are not very common here in Canada.

If the Hi-Lo does not come with a bunk from the factory, my understanding it can be added with the factory hardware and parts. However, finding one seems to be the difficult task.

My question is... has anyone ever built one and retrofitted it in the space above the dinnette?

I'm looking to see if it's possible to build one for a Towlite 17T. I believe the bunk measures approx. 85x45 inches.

Can someone take some detailed measurements and pictures of the bunk bed? If I do end up building one, I will post a how-to with pictures.

Thanks.
TDI,

I am attaching a couple of pictures of our bunk bed in the up and down positions. We just began cleaning, loading, and making the permanent bed [our dining table] for our trip to the Texas Coast next Monday so I ran out right quick to take a couple of pics. Your measurements are right on; the mattress is 80" long and 44" wide. The frame is about 85 x 45 inches.

I like your new HiLo. It has an aura of times past, the good old days. Enjoy your rennovation, and good luck.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
Fredericksburg, TX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 (3).jpg (92.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001 (3).jpg (93.1 KB, 156 views)
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

boater, thanks for the info. Used bunks are hard to come by and a new one is too expensive. That's why I'm thinking of building one myself.

jcurtis, thanks for the pictures and measurements. Hope you enjoy your trip out east.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

Now that I have the measurement of the bed itself, I can start building the bed frame. I'll still need the measurements of the "dog legs" brackets and the kickstands.

Can someone provide close-up of "dog legs" and how they connect to the bed frame, along with the length of the leg itself? I'll need the same for the kickstand as well.

TIA.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater454 View Post
... Mine already had the hardware in the walls and ceiling ...
boater, does it mean you have an extra set of hardware for sale? That will make my project a lot easier.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIer View Post
Now that I have the measurement of the bed itself, I can start building the bed frame. I'll still need the measurements of the "dog legs" brackets and the kickstands.

Can someone provide close-up of "dog legs" and how they connect to the bed frame, along with the length of the leg itself? I'll need the same for the kickstand as well.

TIA.
Here is some information for you. I will also attach some pics of the bunk in its down position and of the areas you wanted.

Measurements of metal frame:
81" long; 46 1/2" Wide
Kickstand is 17" in length
Wall mount; length of hanging swing/arm is 12"
The frame has [5] cross members [including the end members]
1/8" Luan covers the metal frame [under the mattress].

Pic#
1. View of framework from underneath
2. Right kickstand deployed
3. Left kickstand mount view
4. Roadside Swingdown & Mount view
5. Roadside Swingdown & upper mount view from top

Hope this information helps.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metal Framework.jpg (92.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Kickstand in use position.jpg (92.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Roadside Kick stand.jpg (90.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Roadside Swingdown mount.jpg (76.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Upper Swingdown Mount & Bracket.jpg (90.3 KB, 111 views)
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Thanks curtis for the detailed dimensions and the pictures. These for sure will help a lot!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
sam

Default Hardwear for the bunkbed.

Just curious if JR has a supplier for the bunkbed hardwear? Is the mattress that is supplied with the bunkbed comfortable for children and or adults?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Our two Grandkids (ages 12 and 9) have slept on it with no complaints, but it's pretty thin and I doubt an adult would find it comfortable.

- Jack
Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
sam

Default Bunk mattresses.

The bunk is good for up to 200lbs. Same scenereo with our daughters bunkbed. Thin uncomfortable mattresses came with it. We replaced the mattresses and all is well.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #12

How did it come out? I need to build one also. Did you use aluminum or steel? Thanks.
caliphat71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #13
sam

Default Bunk bed

This in an older post. I was refering to my DD bunkbed in our sticks and bricks. We don't have a bunkbed in our HiLo. DD sleeps on the dinette bed. We leave it made up as a bed all the time.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #14

I just removed the bunk from my 1990 model which I recently purchased. It was at the front of trailer over the couch. Wife and i do not need six people in small camper and removing it really opened up the area, or so it looks more spacious. If you come near Fort Worth I will give you this one and the mattress, hardware and all. In excellent condition.

We have only taken two trips in our camper but really love it. Tows like a dream.
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #15
sam

Default Bunk bed

So nice of you to offer this as a freebe. I am sure someone will take you up on your generous offer.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #16

Thanks for the generous offer. I live in Phoenix though. If I can get a descent quote on shipping, would you allow a shipper to pick it up and ship it? If so, what your zip code so I can get a good estimate? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #17

Zip code 76137. I had rather someone get use out of it, rather than put it out on the curb.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #18

I forgot to ask you for the dimensions of the frame. If it works, can you post or send some pics of it and the hardware and estimate a weight? I will contact a packing/shipper in Fort Worth and get an estimate on them going to you to pick up, pack and ship. If it's not too expensive, then I'll coordinate with you to get it picked up. Appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks. Chris
Old 11-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #19

Chris,
I weighed the stuff the best I could with hanging scales. Frame= 22 lbs., Hardware= 3 lbs, mattress= ( a guess ) about 6 to 8 lbs. and the padded front decorative piece that screws to side of bed frame about 2 lbs. Think over all you are looking at 33 to 35 lbs.
Most important is that the space width at ceiling level needs to be about 88" and at the top of the railing running flat ( horizontal ) on top of the bottom wall partition needs to be approx. 85" on center for the support legs on front of frame that drop down.
Wife trying to download pictures for me to send. Also, am retired and here at house most of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB110027.jpg (205.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PB110029.jpg (206.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg PB110034.jpg (215.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PB110033.jpg (251.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PB110032.jpg (202.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #20

Chris,
forgot overall measurements of frame. 85" X 46 1/2" X 4"