Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Default Differences in Grades

Can someone point me to a recap of the construction differences between the TowLite, FunLite, and Prestige (Classic?) of the mid-1990's? I have been thru the Library here and the standard features and options all appear to be much the same. I'm interested in the differences in construction, etc. For example I understand the siding on the TowLite is aluminum but is fiberglass in the FunLite and Prestige? Is the FunLite a solid fiberglass panel like the Prestige appears to be? What about roofs and other differences between the models of that generation? I'm planning to look at a FunLite soon. Thanks for the help!

Joe Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

I ain't gut no clue (sic).

With that said, I think it'd be more helpful to compare whatever your current options are on a specific case by case basis.

My point is if you find five exact models there would be differences in them today - after several years of use and different owners.
Alternatively, just because one model was better (when new) a lesser one today may be better - again due to years of use/abuse.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

The Towlite was the economy model, the Classic the luxury model, and the Funlite was a cross between the two. The Towlite back then had a wood framework, the Classic metal, and the Funlite I'm not sure. They all had metal roofs as far as I know. Some early 2000s models had rubber roofs, but they went back to metal.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
sam

Default Differences in HiLo models

Our 1990 25ft. Classic has a rubber roof. You can call the parts manager at Mantelli trailer sales. He will be able to tell you exactly what a funlite is. Jay Simon at 1-716-625-887. Use the check list for buying a used unit. What is your towvehicle? Keep us posted. We will answer your questions and helpin any way we can.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
The Towlite was the economy model, the Classic the luxury model, and the Funlite was a cross between the two. The Towlite back then had a wood framework, the Classic metal, and the Funlite I'm not sure. They all had metal roofs as far as I know. Some early 2000s models had rubber roofs, but they went back to metal.
Thank you Rich. Exactly the type of info I'm looking for and I will take Sam's suggestion below and call Jay Simon about the FunLite. When reading the brochures such as the 1999 brochure in the Library it is easy to see that most standard features and options were available on all 3 grades, but that doesn't tell me what the differences in construction might be. For instance I would prefer the one piece fiberglass siding over aluminum siding, but what is in that wall? Besides wood vs tube frame are there differences in insulation? What are the other differences. I realize there will be upgrades in cabinets, fixtures and appliances. But I am most interested in construction differences. All 3 models of that era do have aluminum roofs, by the way.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Our 1990 25ft. Classic has a rubber roof. You can call the parts manager at Mantelli trailer sales. He will be able to tell you exactly what a funlite is. Jay Simon at 1-716-625-887. Use the check list for buying a used unit. What is your towvehicle? Keep us posted. We will answer your questions and helpin any way we can.
And thank you too, Sam for the contact info on Jay Simon. I will be contacting Jay for further differences concerning the FunLite. The FunLite I am considering is a 21 footer. According to the 1999 brochure in the library it should have a UVB of 3412# and a GVWR of 4400#.

My TV is a 2013 F-150 4x4 Supercab 145" WB with the 5.0L V8; 3.55 rear axle; and the 7350# GVWR tow pkg. Ford's specs on it are 7800# max trailer wgt; 13,500# GCWR. I have added a cap on the bed weighing ~180#.

It's probably the wrong time of the year to be checking out this trailer since it has already been winterized, but we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
sam

Default Construction of classic HiLo

Joe Yankee You may want to look at this back post to see the construction of our 1990 HiLo 11-7-2012. 1990 HiLo restoration. It is a word description and Photo bucket pictures of our restoration. Hope this helps you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #8

Yesterday I looked at the mid-90's FunLite 21' and a late model TowLite 22T. I have to say that I was impressed with the quality of the FunLite and it is in very good shape and has been well cared for. So has the TowLite but it is virtually new. Both have been stored inside and/or covered.

One problem became apparent that I am so used to that I hadn't really given it a thought. I'm over 6' tall (6'5) and I had to duck when going in or out the door and had very little overhead clearance inside, especially around the AC unit. I would have to sleep below on the converted couch, sleeping at an angle and taking up most of the room. My wife who is 5'5 and petite would have to sleep above on the swing down bunk, which both of these TT's had. It would probably necessitate a step ladder for her to get up there.

To consider "upgrading" to a bigger model with a Queen size bed would tax both my budget and my TV.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

If I where you I would look at a 2001-2009 towlite because of the alumium framing in the walls. A 27ft towlite might fit your needs better because of the walk-around queen bed. Your F-150 would not have a problem pulling it because of the wieght of the trailer is light enough for your truck. Don't give up on hi-lo yet, I think it's possible to move the A/C to a different vent location so its not in a direct walk-in path because of your hieght.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
If I where you I would look at a 2001-2009 towlite because of the alumium framing in the walls. A 27ft towlite might fit your needs better because of the walk-around queen bed. Your F-150 would not have a problem pulling it because of the wieght of the trailer is light enough for your truck. Don't give up on hi-lo yet, I think it's possible to move the A/C to a different vent location so its not in a direct walk-in path because of your hieght.
I do like the 27ft with Queen size beds and a slide out. There are several on YouTube. Unfortunately that's not in the budget. I'm afraid that will effect my plans in the short term. But I do appreciate your comments and opinion.