Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Default Frames Wood vs Steel

When we're the wood framed rigs replaced with steel framing?

I would think the the Classics had them first then it trickled down in later years to the other lines.

Any info would help.

Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

My old 2176B has a steel frame, so don't know when they went to wood, unless it was earlier?

Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Don't quote me on this but I believe the wood framing was used primarily on the first Towlite trailers then they converted to steel in the very late nineties. I just looked up in the brochure collection and 1998 was the first year the steel framing was mentioned. What other models, other than the Classic, may have had wood but that would have to be researched.

Added note: Towlite was built at what was the new factory then the old Hi-Lo factory moved to the new one. I would guess that is about when the wood changed to steel.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #4

Rich, my 1976 is an "older" Classic, and through my own partial Remodeling of the Rear Bath Walls (except the forward Side walls) & Ceiling years ago, it was All 1"+ Rectangular Steel Tubing! So, at least Some of them were Steel?

Perhaps sometime After, Hi-Lo tried doing it with wood, and returned to Steel?

I know that a OLD 40s mobile home our family used at the Lake in the 60s was wood framed, but was so heavy we had to use a Dolly to pull it the 80 miles to the Reservoir. Because it was so Heavy, we rented a storage spot and left it all year, just moving it closer to the lake when we were using it. Worked great until a Tornado took it out.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

My experience with my 2000 24' Classic is that it is tubular steel ... but it has a wooden frame rail around the lower part of the top section. I've seen some pictures of later HiLo classics that seem to have gone to metal as a replacement for that wood 4" by 4" frame.

Also in the garage, some stuff to pull it:
1999 3/4 ton 'Burb
1993 Roadmaster wagon (well, it probably won't pull it)
r67northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

If you look at the brochures, by 1975 they explicitely state steel frame construction.

The 1950's models don't discuss the frame, but are heavy on advertising aluminum use, and given the era (POST-WWI so lots of aircraft aluminum manufacturing skill and production available), I wouldn't expect wood framing. Some wood use for sure, since plywood was hi-tech at the time, and wood has advantages in certain situations.

Perhaps with the advent of fiberglass/composite construction wood became viable. IIRC from seeing reconstructs on here, wood is used in the ceiling as support and provide attachment surface.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
Rich, my 1976 is an "older" Classic, and through my own partial Remodeling of the Rear Bath Walls (except the forward Side walls) & Ceiling years ago, it was All 1"+ Rectangular Steel Tubing! So, at least Some of them were Steel?

Perhaps sometime After, Hi-Lo tried doing it with wood, and returned to Steel?

I know that a OLD 40s mobile home our family used at the Lake in the 60s was wood framed, but was so heavy we had to use a Dolly to pull it the 80 miles to the Reservoir. Because it was so Heavy, we rented a storage spot and left it all year, just moving it closer to the lake when we were using it. Worked great until a Tornado took it out.
From what I have researched only the Towlite before 1998 had wood.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote