Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > Curious about Hi-Lo Campers?
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Default Hi-Lo lift mechanism

I joined this forum a little bit ago in order to get information on the Hi-Lo.

Currently, I have a 1996 Roadtrek 210P with 130,000 miles on it.

In a couple of years, I plan to retire and then take an extended trip to California. To be honest, I'd prefer to have a newer B, but they may be "bank breakers". I have a great tow vehicle, so I might go the trailer route instead.

I love the concept behind the Hi-Lo. My current question is about the lift mechanism.

How hard is it to service and lubricate the lift cables and pulleys?
Are the lift cables that go across the bottom of the trailer protected from road grime and foreign objects?
In other words, are the cables protected inside a compartment?
The cables that go up the walls, how hard is it to see and lubricate them?

Thanks for any help. And if there are any other "differences" between a Hi-Lo and regular hard sided TT let me know. In 2005, I had a R-Vision Traillite 21ft trailer.

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Do a search on cables and you'll know everything you ever wanted to know about cables....and then some. Not hard to keep lubed at all and a very dependable system. Keep up with the preventative maintenance and they will last a long time.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f32/cables-932/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

Hi Atlee
I am west of you near Charlottesville if you want to see a Hi-Lo lift system. Be glad to show it to you and answer any questions. We have put over 20,000 miles on our Hi-Lo in the last 2 years. The longest trip, Alaska. Love it.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Hi Atlee
I am west of you near Charlottesville if you want to see a Hi-Lo lift system. Be glad to show it to you and answer any questions. We have put over 20,000 miles on our Hi-Lo in the last 2 years. The longest trip, Alaska. Love it.
I have sent you a private message.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM   #5

@LEE- One big difference between a Hi Lo and other trailers is I get 13 to 14 MPG pulling a 22 ft trailer with a Dodge Dakota. 17 MPG without it. Makes a bigg difference to me with the price of gas. I think everyone on this forum loves the Hi-Lo so you might not get an objective opinion. I wonder if different brands get the same loyalty from owners?
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #6

Default cables & pulleys

After doing a complete re-work of lift cylinder and cables I can tell you some answers I have observed.

1. You can get at all the pulleys and cables for inspection and lube work. You crawl under the trailer and you will clearly see them. Inside the unit just remove the trim strip of the top portion and you can get at all the upper pulleys.

2. The lower cables and pulleys are somewhat protected on the bottom but are exposed to some dirt and road debris. A occasional look-see and wipe off does the trick.

3. Take off the top trim strips for a good look see at the top pulleys.

See the Lift Mechanism portion of this web-site for exhaustive data on the entire system.

GOOD LUCK ! !

edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote