Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #1

Default Hilo behind an EV

Hi, I'm getting a Tesla model 3 and am thinking a used Hilo might be a neat addition.

I think 16-17 is going to be the largest I can go, and it might be too big. I suspect this car will be like a BMW 3 series in what it can tow.

I'm wondering what campers (up to 16-17) people have, vehicles people are towing them with, and how well they do.

Thanks for your time!

Tedkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

I have never seen anyone towing with a Tesla. I don't think there is a hitch made for them unless they have their own. The towing capacity would determine what you can do.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Hi Rich!

Lots of people towing with Tesla's. Here's a more famous example: https://teslaxcanada.com/about-2/

Power is not a problem. Tesla does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds. Faster than any other production vehicle. A luxury sedan faster than any Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Aerodynamics, as you might imagine, are much more important for EV towing than ICE vehicles. This is where HiLo might have an advantage.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

That's very interesting. Please keep us posted as to what you find out. I guess what the towing weight capacity is on the Tesla that would be the determining factor for towing a small Hi-Lo.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Team

That's a nice little trailer! I have the 17 ft HiLo (Towlite) and it weighs about 3500# with no fresh water in the tanks. That's a bit over twice what the Alto weighs. And, the shape of the Alto is aerodynamic too. I suspect the aerodynamic drag of the two trailers are similar.

I think your big limitation will be the availability of charging stations on camping trips. You will be quite limited, I think in your choices of places to stay.

- Jack
Old 04-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #6

I can recall looking up similar info out of curiosity. I found (was it from a forum? don't recall) the towing capacity was not that great and very VERY bad when actually pulling (much worse the manf had claimed). I'd shy away.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #7

There's a whole lot of difference between a teardrop camper and a 15' Hi-Lo. My first thoughts on towing with the Tesla are when www.etrailer.com doesnt list any hitches for them, nor does Trailer Life list Tesla in their towing guide, I would guess they are not suited for towing in the USA. Maybe yes in other countries.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #8

my camper is 15' hi-lo voyager, home made, and it weighs 480 lbs. plates and all lol
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #9

My 1810 is #3500 empty. I pull it with a 2012 Silverado crew 4.8 2wd and I've struggled in the hills of west Virginia.
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #10

Tesla semi-truck debuts in September, pickup by 2019 | Fox News
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
That's a nice little trailer! I have the 17 ft HiLo (Towlite) and it weighs about 3500# with no fresh water in the tanks. That's a bit over twice what the Alto weighs. And, the shape of the Alto is aerodynamic too. I suspect the aerodynamic drag of the two trailers are similar.

I think your big limitation will be the availability of charging stations on camping trips. You will be quite limited, I think in your choices of places to stay.

- Jack
The model X tows up to 5000 pounds. I'm hoping the model 3 will tow 3500....
Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
There's a whole lot of difference between a teardrop camper and a 15' Hi-Lo. My first thoughts on towing with the Tesla are when www.etrailer.com doesnt list any hitches for them, nor does Trailer Life list Tesla in their towing guide, I would guess they are not suited for towing in the USA. Maybe yes in other countries.
There's a funny towing video somewhere that showed a model x beating an alfa romeo in a drag race while towing an alfa romeo.

For those curious about towing with Tesla Bjorn has done a lot of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland

The current big drawbacks of towing is you can't use autopilot, and it uses a lot of electricity.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedkidd View Post
The model X tows up to 5000 pounds. I'm hoping the model 3 will tow 3500....
I had also reserved a model 3 but have since canceled my order. I had similar questions regarding towing, as well as whether the model 3 could be towed by a motorhome. According to Elon, the model 3 will have an optional tow hitch but capacity is unknown at the present time.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/716708661024804866

I think the 2nd reveal is in July so more info may be known then. If it were me, I would wait for the pickup model allegedly coming out in a couple of years!

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote