Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 06-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Need 2nd opinion on buying a vintage Hi Lo

Hi All,

Am looking at buying a 1967 Hi Lo 14 ft. Any suggestions on what I should check on an older Hi LO.

Thanks.

Donna

donzerby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #2

We own a 1963, As with any vintage trailer, the problem areas tend to be around the windows around the vent (if it has one), and at the seams where the top meets the side walls. Look for water stains on the wood paneling....that is always a telltale sign of a deeper issue. Sometimes, minor staining around a window can just be condensation. Make sure everything goes up and down properly. Do your research to make sure all necessary glides as well as pulley system is there and in working order. Also check the floor for any soft areas.

MossyOakLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #3

Crazy question, but does it happen to be the one in Stockton? If it is, keep on eye on that pulley system, as it looks like they might have a board propping the top up. It's also going to be hard to judge about possible water damage because it is painted.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerby View Post
Hi All,

Am looking at buying a 1967 Hi Lo 14 ft. Any suggestions on what I should check on an older Hi LO.

Thanks.

Donna
This was taken from NDgent's post here on the forum. It is a great go-by list. You can do a search of "thinking about buying" and find his post to read it first hand.

Basically, start with the visual items –
1. Exterior
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
2. Interior cleanliness of the unit-
• Look for water stains and discoloration on inside walls and around ceiling anywhere vents, skylights, windows, etc. exist.
• Push and prod with your hand on the inside walls for soft spots (which could indicate a water leak and a damaged or rotten interior wall).
• Check for bubbles in the wallpaper (a sign of delimitation or water intrusion)
3. Test appliance functions –
• lights
• fans
• refrigerator
• air conditioner
• heater
• water pump
• range hood
• stovetop
• oven (if equipped)
• microwave (if equipped)
• stereo (if equipped)
4. Lift System-
• Does the unit raise and lower properly
• Check the lift system for hydraulic leaks (puddle under the trailer)
• Check the lift cables to see if they are in good shape and not frayed
• Check the seal between the upper and lower body halves for tears or damage
5. fill the tanks to the top and check for leaks
6. Battery
7. Solar Panel (if equipped)
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #5

Thank you everyone for all your help. I owned a 1995 18TD. But looking at the older Hi Lo's is different.

Yes it is the one in Stockton. Based on everything you have shared with me, I have decided it is a "Leave it."

I was interested in this Vintage Hi Lo because it is small, and I have an SUV to tow a camper now.

MossyOakLane how did you find your 1963?
Old 06-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

Thank you Rueben for the super checklist to check out a Hi Lo.

Am looking for a 14ft or 16ft , I check all the usual places craigslist, oodle, yakaz, rvtrader, and the hiloforum.

Do you have any other suggestions where I can look for a little Hi Lo?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerby View Post
Thank you Rueben for the super checklist to check out a Hi Lo.

Am looking for a 14ft or 16ft , I check all the usual places craigslist, oodle, yakaz, rvtrader, and the hiloforum.

Do you have any other suggestions where I can look for a little Hi Lo?
Hi, Donna -

HiLo DID make some small trailers in the early years, but in more recent years, the smallest lengths were 15' and 17'. HiLo measures their lengths differently than other trailers though. My 17' trailer is that length from tongue hitch to back bumper. The "box" you live in is only about 14' long. I think a 15' trailer would have a 12' box.

The 1707T we have is perfect for my Wife and me. We can get it into small, Forest Service campgrounds with very little trouble and that's where we prefer to camp. It's bigger and more comfortable than a tent, which is what we used to use.

I'd be very careful about a "vintage" trailer though. There are lots of things that can and do degrade over time if the trailer is not well maintained and you will need to be VERY "handy" to repair these items.

Personally, if I were you, I'd try to limit my searches to trailers made in the 21st Century. They ARE out there, and are not necessarily expensive.

- Jack
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #8

If you are close to the one in Stockton it still might be worth checking out. Don't pass on it quite yet. The board could just be sitting there...but it is suspicious to me. You can still check the paneling....its just hard to tell. push on it, look for flaking or bubbling. I just wanted to point hose things out because they would be my first worries. It could be the perfect little trailer. We found our 63 up in Washington. We went up there without even seeing it. We had been looking for one for 2 years. My husband is a carpenter, so not much scares us though when taking on a complete project...and that's what our is.....but we only paid $300 for it.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #9

I live in which is a 12 hour drive to Stockton.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #10

I live in AZ which is a 12 hour drive to Stockton.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #11

If our weekend wasn't booked I would say we could check it out for you. I am going to call them in a bit...just because I have been curious about it as well.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #12

You are great!. My number is 480-987-3995
Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #13

The owner sent me 27pics to look at. Can you look at these and see what you think?
Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 AM   #14

I had a friend look at the pictures here. It's a "leave it."

Thanks for everyone for all your help.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #15

She finally called us back this morning. It turns out, we are pretty familiar with it, as we looked at it several years ago when the previous owner had it. We unfortunately didn't have space for it at the time. Under the paint should be in pretty good condition The previous owner was moving it and put the forks of his forklift through the front, so there is a patch. I can't vouch for what has happened to it in the past few years. She did not send us the additional pictures. She says the grand kids like to go in it, and the boards are there just for safety. I do know that the pulley system was in tact and in working order when we looked at a few years ago. The phone was breaking up, but I believe she said she had some repairs made around the vent.
The funny thing is....this is the trailer that made us fall in love with the vintage Hi-Los
Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #16

Default I've found a 1968 Hi-Low 15' for sale, for $500.00

It has been sitting for 15 years. She said it was in excellent shape when they parked it behind the barn. My question is: Is this a good price? & what do I need to look for besides mice. She said I need to bring a battery to raise it up, also needs tires. I saw in the manuel on here that it takes 75 X 14? what does that mean & where do I get them? I know the 14 is 14" tires, but shouldn't there be another # besides the 75? Help please, I'm a widow & do not know a lot of what to look for. If these are dumb questions, forgive me, I have to go look at it in the morning to buy & put on tires. She said there's several ppl besides me wanting it, but I was the first caller so she's giving me first dibs. Thanks in advance.
DaynaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #17

15 years stored behind barn
In wet Missouri
Dont spend a nickle until you look at it. I was just in MO for vacation and saw my cousins 2000 Play Mor that was destroyed by water leaks. Such a shame but all he could do was scrap it.
IMO $500 is pricey for such an old unit stored so long. Giving it away would be more in line, maybe $100 max.
I can assure you it will need at least $2000 in parts before your first camp trip.
Here is a short list of probables:
Ram seal
Tires
Battery and cables
Water leaks galore (check closely)
Green mold (washes off or paint over it)
Wires underside eaten by mice
All lights destroyed from age
I paid $1,500 for my 1981 a few years back and put close to $2000 in parts in it. Barely worth it compared to spending a few grand more and getting a newer and much nicer unit.

Check back and post pictures regardless of decision.

Rick

slider is offline   Reply With Quote