Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Default Towing 31' Hi-Lo with F-150

I have a '13 Ford F-150 Platinum 4x4 6.2L its a 3.55 gear. It has the 7700lb towing package. Would I be crazy to try to haul a 31' Hi-Lo Classic that weighs 7,000 lbs? I'm worried it may be too much for the transmission. This would be my first travel trailer, so please be kind with your answers.

Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #2

I vote "yes", you would be crazy, in a kind way! Trade in that F-150 for a diesel F-250 and hit the road with confidence that you won't be broke down on the side of the road. You'll never regret having too much power, but you'll always regret not having enough.

Where are you in TN? I grew up just outside of Memphis. If you need a good diesel shop, I've done business with the Diesel Dr. in Whiteville. Excellent work and fair price. My F-250 Powerstroke is awesome since they fixed it!

piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 PM   #3

PiperJim,

Thank You! I ran the calculations and it looked like it would be really close and at 92%, actually over with a couple of people in the truck. Thank you for confirming my concerns. I'll think I'll buy a 21' Hi-Lo that I am also looking at. Thanks Again!
Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Farris, I'm with PiperJim too. I actually think it's not the overall weight of the trailer that would be the problem, but the tongue weight would likely overload your truck's axles and wheels. A SuperDuty class truck would take care of that problem.

But, you should still have a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) even if you get the shorter trailer, so that all the tongue weight is not placed on the rear axle of your truck.

- Jack
Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #5

Hi, I have a 31' Hilo and besides the rarity of this unit, I truly love it. Up to this year, I had been using a Suburban with 5.3 liter engine and tow package. On steep inclines (Major highways) I would end up doing 40mph by the summit. I have since purchased a 2001 Ford Excursion XLT with the 6.8 Liter V10 and couldn't be happier. This truck doesn't break a sweat towing the 31 footer.
bernard is offline   Reply With Quote