Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Curious about Hi-Lo Campers? Thinking about buying a Hi-Lo camper, curious, have questions? Ask them here

Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #1

Default Wind tolerance and extreme heat.

Hello all. I am coming to hi-lo from a 17' casita fiberglass travel trailer and a lance 19' truck camper. I have been reading the archives along with using the search but have several questions I haven't been able to find the answer for.

#1 How well does the trailer tolerate winds in the up position? Does dust and sand get blown inside through the seal? Will the lift mechanism be damaged at all in high winds?

#2 How well does the trailer stay cool in temps over 100 degrees and can it be used in temps below freezing (A true 4 season camper)?

#3 Will I need tow mirrors on my 06 toyota tundra to pull a classic or even a towlight?

#4 Has the 2 piece door caused anyone an inconvenience? It seems like it would be a pain to open the door then shut it, twice.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

57 views and no one has camped in wind nor heat?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Probably, no one has encountered the situations you ask about.

1. I've never camped in a sandstorm, but it does just fine in a thunderstorm. It's noisy in heavy rain, but that's all. I cannot see how the lift mechanism would be damaged in high winds, unless you're talking about a tornado. Driving, with the top down of course, over dirt roads will put dust into the trailer. Janet notices that right away.

2. We've only used the trailer in temps above 100 degrees in full service campgrounds where we had AC for the air conditioner. Our lowest camping temperatures were in the upper 30s, and the trailer stayed in the 50s without using the heater.

3. I have CIPA tow mirror extensions on my F150 to help see behind it. I think, unless your truck mirrors telescope out, you'll want auxiliary mirrors too.

4. Never saw this as a problem or inconvenience.

Hope this helps!

- Jack
Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballsocal View Post
Hello all. I am coming to hi-lo from a 17' casita fiberglass travel trailer and a lance 19' truck camper. I have been reading the archives along with using the search but have several questions I haven't been able to find the answer for.

#1 How well does the trailer tolerate winds in the up position? Does dust and sand get blown inside through the seal? Will the lift mechanism be damaged at all in high winds?

#2 How well does the trailer stay cool in temps over 100 degrees and can it be used in temps below freezing (A true 4 season camper)?

#3 Will I need tow mirrors on my 06 toyota tundra to pull a classic or even a towlight?

#4 Has the 2 piece door caused anyone an inconvenience? It seems like it would be a pain to open the door then shut it, twice.
1, not sure what you mean, I had a scamp, and this is not a scamp or casita, it will be like a flat sided solid trailer (wind profile) when parked and setup (raised), so if a regular camper is affected by wind conditions, so is the Hilo. Just plan on if you travel down dirt roads, you will get more dust inside than the sealed up egg, depending of course on condition of the Hilo you buy. it can be drastic, mine is slight. It is one of those trade offs you get used to to have a camper than has half the wind profile when pulling (easier on tow car and pocketbook).

2, again pretty much just like class c motor coaches I helped build in the 80's. Its a square tubing frame with insulation sandwiched with fiberglass outer and thin paneling on the inside. if you park in shade it will be cooler inside, if you park in sun it is hot, just like your camper. Roof AC keeps this thing cool in summer, not sure it has been years since I camped in 100 degree weather without AC, it seems cooler after the sun goes down, than it did sleeping in the old van, that I slept in when I camped without AC in hot weather... Obviously, your mileage may vary.

3 Yes, the camper is obviously wider than your fiberglass egg camper.

4 yes, in the strictest sense, but really, how much of an inconvienience can you put up with, to have a trailer that folds in half almost, in height? I think you'll adapt to it. The door thing is so MINOR, the bottom half has a catch that you dont have to push a button to open or anything to move it. kid of like some storage doors do in many campers, that dont have a manually operated latch on them. the top half keeps everything closed with a latch though.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Probably, no one has encountered the situations you ask about.

1. I've never camped in a sandstorm, but it does just fine in a thunderstorm. It's noisy in heavy rain, but that's all. I cannot see how the lift mechanism would be damaged in high winds, unless you're talking about a tornado. Driving, with the top down of course, over dirt roads will put dust into the trailer. Janet notices that right away.

2. We've only used the trailer in temps above 100 degrees in full service campgrounds where we had AC for the air conditioner. Our lowest camping temperatures were in the upper 30s, and the trailer stayed in the 50s without using the heater.

3. I have CIPA tow mirror extensions on my F150 to help see behind it. I think, unless your truck mirrors telescope out, you'll want auxiliary mirrors too.

4. Never saw this as a problem or inconvenience.

Hope this helps!

- Jack
Thanks Jack. I ride motorcycles in an area of sand dunes called Glamis. I was worried about sand being forced into the trailer in the rare windstorm I encounter. I am a little surprised that the trailer gets dust blown in from the road while in the down position as I seem to remember reading that the seal being active both in the fully up or fully down position. I guess not.

I will have a generator with me to provide power for the AC unit. My favorite time to go is in the cooler summer days when the crowds are gone but I have to deal with temps up to 115. The camper and casita would stay reasonably cool as long as I kept the ac running but if I shut it off then tried to cool the RV back down after several hours, it would never get as cool as it was till the sun goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
1, not sure what you mean, I had a scamp, and this is not a scamp or casita, it will be like a flat sided solid trailer (wind profile) when parked and setup (raised), so if a regular camper is affected by wind conditions, so is the Hilo. Just plan on if you travel down dirt roads, you will get more dust inside than the sealed up egg, depending of course on condition of the Hilo you buy. it can be drastic, mine is slight. It is one of those trade offs you get used to to have a camper than has half the wind profile when pulling (easier on tow car and pocketbook).

2, again pretty much just like class c motor coaches I helped build in the 80's. Its a square tubing frame with insulation sandwiched with fiberglass outer and thin paneling on the inside. if you park in shade it will be cooler inside, if you park in sun it is hot, just like your camper. Roof AC keeps this thing cool in summer, not sure it has been years since I camped in 100 degree weather without AC, it seems cooler after the sun goes down, than it did sleeping in the old van, that I slept in when I camped without AC in hot weather... Obviously, your mileage may vary.

3 Yes, the camper is obviously wider than your fiberglass egg camper.

4 yes, in the strictest sense, but really, how much of an inconvienience can you put up with, to have a trailer that folds in half almost, in height? I think you'll adapt to it. The door thing is so MINOR, the bottom half has a catch that you dont have to push a button to open or anything to move it. kid of like some storage doors do in many campers, that dont have a manually operated latch on them. the top half keeps everything closed with a latch though.
Thanks sting32. I wasn't worried about wind blowing the camper around so much as the sand getting in. I had read in the trail manor site about drafts being prevented by using foam water noodles to block em and knew the trail manors don't seal up well to the outside.

I boondock maybe 90% of the time. Both the casita and lance camper had points that I loved and points that I would like to change and I expect the hi-lo to be no different. I can put up with some inconvenience of course. Knowing about it before hand verses being surprised seems to make it easier of course.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #6

I don't think you will ever get an RV that will completely seal out blowing dust or sand unless it is built like a refrigerator.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:

I am a little surprised that the trailer gets dust blown in from the road while in the down position as I seem to remember reading that the seal being active both in the fully up or fully down position. I guess not.

Thanks sting32. I wasn't worried about wind blowing the camper around so much as the sand getting in. I had read in the trail manor site about drafts being prevented by using foam water noodles to block em and knew the trail manors don't seal up well to the outside.
Hey,

Im a trials rider but I camp mainly with mine on hot days at the lake, then cood days boondocked at trials events around our region. in KS (you know up to around 104 is possible but NOT all the time like you do in deserts). Yes, AC is hard to catch up with heat, most campers, especially nowdays.

My 1972 Eldorado, 24ft motorhome that I sold to buy this Hilo, had one OLD original AC roof unit. it would freeze you out if it was below 100 degrees outside, another camper I had, had newer AC and it struggles to keep cool.

My Hilo is a 29ft Hilo 5th wheel version, with a toybox custom made by the guys at J&R Repair (when they were the factory repair shop) in about 02. It has the Heat pump and it stuggles a bit during heat of the day at lake spots without shade.

Mine has the toybox part, and as such has to use a clam shell design to make a ramp door, and upper door. this part doesnt seal as well as "normal" models, so I get a little MORE dust in there than usuall. I use twin bed sheets and blankets to help seal to keep the AC in.

But I know from friends that have regular ones, as you shake rattle and roll down dirt roads, the seal can let slight amounts of dust in, that is all I am saying. The design of a HIlo is like a shoebox lid on a shoebox (the older type shoeboxes, the ones that tops can come off you know..) then a rubber strip all the way around lid, (maybe think of it as an O-RIng). Plus hilo has a lip on top of box botom, so when up the rubber is pressed to the lip as well as the side. I think when up if the seal is good, it is better than down, though it seals pretty good, this next week will me my colder experience Only bought this thing in June. The draft thing, I have extra blankets to place around (looking for those things you described though). My mom likes sewing and my solution is like one of those old stuffed animals from the 70's the snake. Im thinking a good heavy stuffing with 4 snakes totaling 80 ft would be a good project for her. LOL

On mine, the seals are one thing I want to update soon, near my normal door at least, it seems worn out around there. Mines a 95 model, so wear and tear is surely the reason for most of my observations. My buddy has a 95'sh model about 25ft one, said same things about long drives down rough gravel roads "can" let some dust in, nothing major you know. Windy Kansas days I havent noticed a draft except where seals are worn.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #8

Thanks Sting, that sets me at ease a bit. I think I have my mind set on a 22 foot towlight, 2003 or newer. Those years have 15" tires as standard. If I find a slightly older model at a great deal, the age wouldn't be a deal breaker though. I would love the extra room of the tip out on a 24' model but am worried about the seals letting in sand as well as the extra surface are that would get hot in the sun.

I've always wanted to try trials riding. I am better going faster than slower though. Tend to tip over alot. Are you on a newer gas gas or are you running a vintage machine?

Has anyone added a generator platform to the rear of their hi-lo?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
Hey,

Im a trials rider but I camp mainly with mine on hot days at the lake, then cood days boondocked at trials events around our region. in KS (you know up to around 104 is possible but NOT all the time like you do in deserts). Yes, AC is hard to catch up with heat, most campers, especially nowdays.

My 1972 Eldorado, 24ft motorhome that I sold to buy this Hilo, had one OLD original AC roof unit. it would freeze you out if it was below 100 degrees outside, another camper I had, had newer AC and it struggles to keep cool.

My Hilo is a 29ft Hilo 5th wheel version, with a toybox custom made by the guys at J&R Repair (when they were the factory repair shop) in about 02. It has the Heat pump and it stuggles a bit during heat of the day at lake spots without shade.

Mine has the toybox part, and as such has to use a clam shell design to make a ramp door, and upper door. this part doesnt seal as well as "normal" models, so I get a little MORE dust in there than usuall. I use twin bed sheets and blankets to help seal to keep the AC in.

But I know from friends that have regular ones, as you shake rattle and roll down dirt roads, the seal can let slight amounts of dust in, that is all I am saying. The design of a HIlo is like a shoebox lid on a shoebox (the older type shoeboxes, the ones that tops can come off you know..) then a rubber strip all the way around lid, (maybe think of it as an O-RIng). Plus hilo has a lip on top of box botom, so when up the rubber is pressed to the lip as well as the side. I think when up if the seal is good, it is better than down, though it seals pretty good, this next week will me my colder experience Only bought this thing in June. The draft thing, I have extra blankets to place around (looking for those things you described though). My mom likes sewing and my solution is like one of those old stuffed animals from the 70's the snake. Im thinking a good heavy stuffing with 4 snakes totaling 80 ft would be a good project for her. LOL

On mine, the seals are one thing I want to update soon, near my normal door at least, it seems worn out around there. Mines a 95 model, so wear and tear is surely the reason for most of my observations. My buddy has a 95'sh model about 25ft one, said same things about long drives down rough gravel roads "can" let some dust in, nothing major you know. Windy Kansas days I havent noticed a draft except where seals are worn.

Good luck.
It could have been the change from R12 to R134a Refrigerant.
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #10

cant speak for newer hi-lo's . my 78 is -21' 8" long weighs 4000 lbs. and the only reason i knew there was a small tornado passing through this summer was the sound of the wind outside. solid as a rock. again as far as air conditioning goes . i can only tell you what i hear since mine didn't come with one. the older ones are supposedly the best but most hi-lo owners say it;ll freeze you out. old or newer. i'm looking for one to install in place of the pop up vent. that and an awning for it and i'll be set.
FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #11

Thanks FHILO. I have made up my mind and will own a hi-lo and hopefully soon. I have looked at so many other TTs and truck campers but the hi-lo seems to have the most of what I want. I could really go for some of the ultralite TTs but they have so much wind drag and the slab sides will get blown around badly by the cross winds. As every RV'r knows, there is no perfect RV.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
TJM

Default HiLo for sale

Hello. I have a 1996 22' Hi-Lo in great shape for sale. My wife and I pull it with our 2001 Toyota Tacoma, V6 4wd, automatic. We have 123,000 miles on the truck and it tows like a champ. We could send you more info along with pics if you may be interested. Let us know. Tom and Judy oor email address is murphy_tom@sbcglobal.net
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #13

Tom, I am looking to buy around tax return time but thanks for the post. Good luck on the sale and if it is still round when I am ready to pull the trigger, we will talk.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:

Update: I camped in moderate winds blowing directly at the side of the trailer this weekend in my new to me 2203T. I made sure to use all 4 stability jacks however I was uncoupled from the truck. Other than the vent covers rattling when open, the trailer was perfect. No dust entered and there was no drafts coming in through the seal. The trailer didn't rock at all.

I was able to tow safely without tow mirrors on my tundra. I do own some and would prefer to use them however you can drive without them if you are carefull. I would think the classics would require tow mirrors being even wider.

The 2 piece door wasn't a problem either. It was very easy to get used to, either with the screen door only or the main door.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
TJM

Quote:
Update: I camped in moderate winds blowing directly at the side of the trailer this weekend in my new to me 2203T. I made sure to use all 4 stability jacks however I was uncoupled from the truck. Other than the vent covers rattling when open, the trailer was perfect. No dust entered and there was no drafts coming in through the seal. The trailer didn't rock at all.

I was able to tow safely without tow mirrors on my tundra. I do own some and would prefer to use them however you can drive without them if you are carefull. I would think the classics would require tow mirrors being even wider.

The 2 piece door wasn't a problem either. It was very easy to get used to, either with the screen door only or the main door.
I am not trying to sound ignorant or abusive, but why are you shortcutting S-A-F-E-T-Y? Mirrors,WD hitch, etc? I am just asking a question and am not trying to be a smart aleck,by no means. It is always better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
I am not trying to sound ignorant or abusive, but why are you shortcutting S-A-F-E-T-Y? Mirrors,WD hitch, etc? I am just asking a question and am not trying to be a smart aleck,by no means. It is always better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.
Also, isn't California one state that requires additional,wider mirrors on a tow vehicle? SAFETY-SAFETY-SAFETY
Old 03-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Also, isn't California one state that requires additional,wider mirrors on a tow vehicle? SAFETY-SAFETY-SAFETY
No, not true. As far as I know, Ca. leaves it up to the driver to use their own discretion.

As far as safety, I hope you understand I feel absolutely safe towing as I have been. I wouldn't be towing otherwise. I am one that likes to know I need something before buying it. There are so many gimicks out there, marketed to RVers under the disguise of safety or necessity that I would rather use my own judgement. I hope you do as well.

Using a WD system and/or tow mirrors may be safer but am I unsafe for not using them? I can tell you absolutely not. I look at it as towing my trailer with a Ford F650 would be safer than with my tundra but is my tundra unsafe? No. Is an F650 necessary to tow my trailer a given distance safely? No.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
TJM

Quote:
No, not true. As far as I know, Ca. leaves it up to the driver to use their own discretion.

As far as safety, I hope you understand I feel absolutely safe towing as I have been. I wouldn't be towing otherwise. I am one that likes to know I need something before buying it. There are so many gimicks out there, marketed to RVers under the disguise of safety or necessity that I would rather use my own judgement. I hope you do as well.

Using a WD system and/or tow mirrors may be safer but am I unsafe for not using them? I can tell you absolutely not. I look at it as towing my trailer with a Ford F650 would be safer than with my tundra but is my tundra unsafe? No. Is an F650 necessary to tow my trailer a given distance safely? No.
WOW. I am sorry that I opened up a hornets nest. I had a Wilderness travel trailer years ago that I pulled with a Chevy conversion van. Yes, I did use a WD hitch with it also. It most definitely makes a difference, but to each is own. Again, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. If I did, I apologize.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #19

"To each his own" ... the American way, right? Or, is it "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

It comes down to one's sense of risk aversion and a cost benefit analysis.

Personally I try to error on the side of prevention, so just in case I have to avoid a deer or another vehicle by performing a quick panic braking or lane change I put the WD and Sway control on my trailer.

Oh! it's "Better safe than sorry".

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
"To each his own" ... the American way, right? Or, is it "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"?

It comes down to one's sense of risk aversion and a cost benefit analysis.

Personally I try to error on the side of prevention, so just in case I have to avoid a deer or another vehicle by performing a quick panic braking or lane change I put the WD and Sway control on my trailer.

Oh! it's "Better safe than sorry".
John,

That's my feeling too.

Tom