Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Default 09 - 17T-hilo

After traveling, with fridge is on DC power, there isnt' enough power to raise the hi-lo.

The battery isn't charging while traveling.

Any advice? Does something need to be replaced?

-hzel44

hzel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

The first thing you need to check is to see if there is power coming through on the charge line connector on your tow vehicle. Then check at the junction block where the wires come into the battery compartment. Charge lines, depending on the tow vehicle, may have a relay that only allows power to pass through when the ignition is turned on. Also, charge lines are notorious for providing very little power because they use too light of wire. You should be getting at least 13 volts or up to 13.6 volts.

How long did you have the fridge switched to DC? If you are on a short trip and everything is cold at the start you can go four or five hours with the fridge turned off and things will still be cold.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Site Team

If you find no power coming through the charge line, the likely culprit is the fuse in the tow vehicle. This is usually a 30 A fuse, but it is easily blown if you try to raise the top of the trailer while the trailer is electrically connected to the tow vehicle and the refrigerator is also running on DC.

If your fuse has blown, replace it. Then, always remember to disconnect the electrical cord from the tow vehicle before raising the top of the trailer. I went through three fuses in two different tow vehicles before I learned of this technique.

- Jack
Old 08-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #4

Thumbs down 09 - 17t-hilo

thank you for your reply.. i do not know how to check the incoming power to my trailer battery. i think , i will take it to a electrical shop to check it out. i also will take your answers about my little problem with me.. thanks again hzel44
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #5

Hzel44,

What is the make and model of your tow vehicle?
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Default 09 - 17t-hilo

i have a 07 tacoma - 4l engine
Old 08-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzel44 View Post
i have a 07 tacoma - 4l engine
I noticed you are towing with a tacoma. We discovered that the factory tow package wiring is too small to run the refrigerator while towing.

I tow with a 2006 Toyota Tacoma DC V6 Prerunner. It came with a factory tow package with a 7-pin connector. The charge lead was a 18 gauge wire that only put out about 5amps, so towing with the refrigerator on 12v I was draining my house batteries. The refrigerator requires at least 12 amps in the DC mode.

I disconnected the factory 18 gauge wire on the truck, installed a 30amp circuit breaker and a 10 gauge. wire running from the alternator to the rear bumper mounted 7-pin trailer connector. The factory 7 pin connector was sealed and I couldn't increase the wire size, so I had to change it.

I replaced it with an aftermarket 7-pin connector on the truck, and I soldered all the connectors and then used heat shrink tubing.

With the larger gauge wire, I am supplying the trailer with enough amperage to run the refrigerator and charge the batteries while we are under way.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #8

Smile 09 - 17t-hilo

thank you for all your help..i took the easy step first and replaced the fuse..it was blown. bought a small 12 volt tester and checked the pin at the conector and it lit up. i will try it first on my next trip, which will be in a week. after this i will consider replacing the wiring, like it was suggested.. hzel44
Old 08-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

Default frig

hzel44
Good Luck with it there are several posts and threads that talk about towing with the frig running. Most seem to say use ac power for 24 hours before leaving and put some ice in the frig to lower the amount of usage.

Good Luck

Later Tim

69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, travel