Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisakjcowgirl2016 View Post
Yes Jack it is for the interior lights.
Good, so now, I have no good guesses on why your outside lights don't work.

I lost my left hand brake and turn signal, because a mouse or rat had chewed through the wire, somewhere behind or under my refrigerator (before I mouse-proofed my trailer). I spliced in a new section of wire to bridge that gap and things are fine now. Do you have mice where you live? (Stupid question I guess, kind of like, "Is the Pope Catholic?").

Anyway, the wires to those outside lights are in the wire bundle that goes from the bottom half to the top half in my bathroom. They are joined in that bundle by wire nuts. You can separate them (one at a time by removing a nut) and then test the lower half end for voltage using a multimeter. If you get no voltage, you know the break is somewhere between that point and the front of the trailer.

You can also check for voltage at the connectors on the side of the battery box with the trailer hooked to your tow vehicle and something like a turn signal activated. If there's voltage there, the break is between it and the wire nut point.

But, if there's no voltage in the front, there might be a problem in your tow vehicle. I've bought (online) a simple plug-in, 7-pin trailer plug tester. It has lights in it to show if each circuit in the trailer plug is good. I think this is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58270-12.../dp/B001EOWQY4

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #22

Mr. Jack,

I have went on line and purched the 12V tester. Thanking you once again. I was pulling the trailer and low and behold I have one light on the right side only. Think it might be from my truck. I pulled a low bar trailer and only the right side was working. So I went back to the place that installed my 7-way and brake controller. They said it was a ground issue and said they fixed it. But I think when the top fell down on the left hand side it might of pinched a wire. Having an electrian look at it next after this trailride is over.

lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #23

Use a 12v automotive turn signal flasher unit. This will use the trailer battery for power and turn on all outside lights if lights are working and bulbs not burnt out. This will tell you if the problem is in the trailer or tow vehicle. With the 12v power cord (one that plugs into your truck) hold it with the flat side up at 12 o'clock position. Insert the 2 prong 12v flasher unit into the slots at the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock position on the plug. This will activate the lights. Happy hunting................

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Site Team

That sounds a neat trick, Bob. Thanks for posting it.

- Jack
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #25

Thanks Jack. It is also a great safety tool. If you ever have to pull over on the side of the road, particularly at night, the trailer shows up better with all lights flashing rather than just the tail lights. Gives other drivers more visibility of your trailer.

Bob
Old 03-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Thanks Jack. It is also a great safety tool. If you ever have to pull over on the side of the road, particularly at night, the trailer shows up better with all lights flashing rather than just the tail lights. Gives other drivers more visibility of your trailer.

Bob
I hadn't thought of that, Bob - Good on you! I'm going to buy a flasher next time I'm in town. I assume you have to use a 2-blade flasher? I notice some of them have 3 blades.

- Jack
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #27

Yes, only use the 2 blade flasher unit.

Bob
Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Yes, only use the 2 blade flasher unit.

Bob
It was probably a stupid question, but I was thinking maybe one could cut off the center blade.

- Jack
Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #29

Found one source of the problem. The top bulb where it roiches rhe connector was broke. As soon as I toich rhe buln ro check it, it fell off. It is the one over rhe license plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170301_075600.jpg (221.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #30
Site Team

Lisa, that one looks to me like your Brake/Turn/Running light (if it's the one on the right). The other one looks like a single filament bulb and should be the one for the license.

Neither bulb looks like it has good electrical connections to me. You'd have to take the fixture off the back of the trailer to check the wiring I think. I suspect it is held on with 2 or 4 screws.

- Jack
Old 03-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Lisa, that one looks to me like your Brake/Turn/Running light (if it's the one on the right). The other one looks like a single filament bulb and should be the one for the license.

Neither bulb looks like it has good electrical connections to me. You'd have to take the fixture off the back of the trailer to check the wiring I think. I suspect it is held on with 2 or 4 screws.

- Jack
Jack,

It is located on the drivers (left) side. I need to replace it because of corrosion. The new one have five wires but different colors than the one I have. My old one has 2 yellow. 1 white, 1 red and 1 black. The new one have 2 white 1 red, 1 green and 1 black
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170305_232635.jpg (130.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170305_235453.jpg (158.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #32
Site Team

Oh dear. Is there any installation pamphlet with the new light that says what these wires are for?

The two white wires are almost SURELY ground wires, one for the brake/turn/running light and the other for the license plate light. They should be connected together with a wire nut to the white wire in the trailer.

I suspect the two yellow wires in your old fixture were the "hot" wires for the running and license plate light. If the green and black wires go to different light holders in the new fixture, they are probably the same as the old yellow ones.

And, I think the red wire would be the brake/turn signal input. It should be running to the upper light in the fixture.

These are my best guesses. If you can see which receptacle the old wires go to, find the corresponding connections in the new one.

- Jack
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Oh dear. Is there any installation pamphlet with the new light that says what these wires are for?

The two white wires are almost SURELY ground wires, one for the brake/turn/running light and the other for the license plate light. They should be connected together with a wire nut to the white wire in the trailer.

I suspect the two yellow wires in your old fixture were the "hot" wires for the running and license plate light. If the green and black wires go to different light holders in the new fixture, they are probably the same as the old yellow ones.

And, I think the red wire would be the brake/turn signal input. It should be running to the upper light in the fixture.

These are my best guesses. If you can see which receptacle the old wires go to, find the corresponding connections in the new one.

- Jack
Mr. Jack,

this is what the website installation video states:

Wiring connections

RED wire - Reverse Light Circuit
GREEN wire - Tail Light Circuit
BLACK wire - Blinker and Brake Circuit
White wire - Ground wire to trailer frame.

I downloaded the manual that someone supplied me with a link on this forum. I will print all pages and make me a book to look at. I think it has a wiring diagram on there.

You guys have been a God send for me on this forum. First time Travel Trailer owner and I am learning so so much.

Thanks again
Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #34
Site Team

Oh, cool. I don't think you had a backup light on your trailer before, and if that's the case you won't be using the red wire. You could cut it off or just not connect it to anything.

Wire the two white wires to your trailer ground wire (it's also white in my trailer and the wiring diagram in the library says it's white).

The wiring diagram says the left blinker/stop light circuit is a red wire in the trailer. You'd wire your black wire to that one.

The wiring diagram says the running lights in the trailer are fed with a green wire, so you'd wire your green wire to that one if you have it.

Hope this is not too confusing.

IF you have a multimeter, you can find the appropriate wires in your trailer this way if they are different colors. Put the multimeter in the DC volts position in a range that can handle 12V. Connect the ground lead of the multimeter to the white wire of your trailer.

Now you can probe the other trailer wires with the other multimeter lead as you activate each circuit from the tow vehicle. For instance, with the parking lights on, when you find a wire that gives you 12V (approximately), you've found the taillight (running) light circuit.

Edit: I've just studied the first picture you posted and see the wires you show are coming out of the trailer. If you pull gently on them, you might discover they are connected to other wires inside the back with wire nuts. In any case, the white wire is definitely the ground wire. You'd have to trace the other wires "inside" your old fixture to see which bulbs they feed.

- Jack
Old 03-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #35

do anyone know where I might find marker lights that have four wires. All the ones I am finding have one 2 wires (black and white). my upper 2 lights have 4 wires (2 green and 2 white)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161012_125134.jpg (179.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #36
Site Team

lisa, I'll jump in. I suspect one of the green wires supplies power to this assemble and the other green feeds power to the next light in line. Same with the white, which as Jack says is ground.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #37

does anyone know where I might find the exact same light, I have searched the internet and have came up blank?
Old 03-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #38
sam

Default HiLo Light parts

Call my HiLo dealer and ask for Jay Simon in parts. He has 30yrs experience with HiLo parts. Have him get on the HiLo forum and he will be able to get parts for you. Mantelli Trailer sales,INC. 1-716-625-8877 Fax 716-625-8395 They will ship anywhere. If the part is in stock it will be same day shipout. They carry a large selection of parts. Mantelli RV - Welcome He has gotten us parts that we couldn't get elsewhere many times.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #39
sam

Default Light help exterior

I had DH read jack and tree climbers posts. A PLUS on the advice both of them gave you.Look at the tail lights and see if you have a clear lens inside the big red reflector. If you do these are back up lights. We have this clear section on the lens assembly. Ours is a 1990 25ft. Rear Door Classic. DH says if we lived closer he would be glad to come over and get your lights installed. Keep us posted. I agree we have some good tech guys when it comes to electrical. My trailer is covered up so I can't get you a picture of what I am talking about. The light is mostly red with a small white square..back up light. Keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #40
sam

Default Install of lights

DH says to use dialectric grease to help with corrosion. Put this on the end of the wire and then your wire nut. Walmart has this small tube of dialectric grease or any auto parts store. Just FYI you can also buy a wire nut with epoxy with epoxy in it. Once you put it on it is permanent. You would half to snip the wire to get the wirenut/epoxy off. I learned something new. Tell Jay Mr. Marino told you to call. We will be out at our HiLo dealer later this month for our NYS inspection.