Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #1

Default 15T or 17T Experiences

Hello Hi-Lo’rs.

Now that I sold my 2707T as I want something smaller, I am considering Hi-Lo’s 15T or 17T if I were able to find one anywhere nearby in the southwest.

I am wondering if some of you have owned either of these units, and what your experiences and opinion of them have been for 2 adults.

Also, do you know in what years these two models units were made?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Bruce,
Some friends of ours had a 2007 17 Towlite they were happy with it for a weekend trip but when we actually took a week or more trip they said it was just too small for the two of them. They kept it for 3 years and then sold it and bought another brand of camper that was 24ft.

DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Bruce, we have a 1707T and are vary happy with it regarding the size and layout. The couch and dinette convert to a king sized sleeping platform and we use light down sleeping bags as bedding. We also upgraded the foam in the seat and back cushions which has made the sleeping very comfortable. (It was about a $200-300 modification, as I recall - we bought the foam at a foam and fabric place, they cut it to size and I just stuffed it into the original covers.)

We've also camped with our two Grandkids sleeping in the upper bunk and that has worked out well.

Our longest trips have been on the order of two weeks, and we've never felt the camper was too small. But, we do as much outside as we can, so the trailer is mostly for sleeping and when the weather is bad.

- Jack
Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your feedback so far. Here's something I am wondering about how you handled. From pictures, it looks like the 17T only has a 1/2 normal width for a drawer for eating utensil storage. Whereas my former 2707T had a full width drawer plus one below it which I used as a "junk drawer." The 17T pictures look like you don't have a second drawer at all.

So, how have you stored eating utensils and junk?

Another question: the bath looks like it has an "emergency shower" hose, but it also has some open storage bins on the side of the toilet. How do you take a shower without letting water into the open storage bins?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
sam

Default 15 or 17 HiLo

I know you specified these sizes. Just wanted to let you know our HiLo dealer has a 18 H for sale. www.MantelliRV.com ask for the salesman Chuck Carlson. They also have a 28ft. Classic for sale. If anyone would be interested we are available to check these out for you. I have been in both units in the past.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Thanks to both of you for your feedback so far. Here's something I am wondering about how you handled. From pictures, it looks like the 17T only has a 1/2 normal width for a drawer for eating utensil storage. Whereas my former 2707T had a full width drawer plus one below it which I used as a "junk drawer." The 17T pictures look like you don't have a second drawer at all.

So, how have you stored eating utensils and junk?

Another question: the bath looks like it has an "emergency shower" hose, but it also has some open storage bins on the side of the toilet. How do you take a shower without letting water into the open storage bins?
We store our eating utensils (knives, forks and spoons) as well as plates and kitchen tools, etc. in small boxes and a lift out "basket" inside the small narrow vertical storage space to the right of the fridge. I added a shelf in there too, about halfway up to improve the storage space. (Or maybe it came with the shelf - my memory might be playing tricks on me. I know I added a shelf in one of the cabinets - maybe it was the one under the bathroom sink.)

Things like bowls and drinking glasses go into a basket under the sink.

You COULD add slide out drawers under the dinette table if you desired, for the utensils and such.

I use the small drawer to the right of the fridge at the top of that space as a "junk" drawer.

The bath has a two piece shower curtain that expands around the full perimeter of the shower pan, enclosing you and the toilet (which is convenient for sitting) and it keeps the vanity area dry. The shower is hand held, but there is a bracket to hold it against the wall opposite the toilet if you want to put it there.

Hope I'm making sense. I could take pictures that show what I mean if you need them.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

You should also consider a 22' Towlite, it was the most popular size. For two people there is ample space and storage.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #8

Didn't know about the 18 H model, which looks very similar to the 17T. Thanks for pointing that out, although the dealer is too distant. I am looking to stay smaller than anything larger.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Site Team

The advantage of the 15 or 17 ft trailers is that you can get them into almost any camping space that's suitable for towed campers. They're about the size of a tent camper. The 15 ft trailer doesn't have the king-sized sleeping platform, if that is any concern for you. It was for us, which is why we didn't consider a 19 footer either, because of the sleeping space.

- Jack
Old 03-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
The advantage of the 15 or 17 ft trailers is that you can get them into almost any camping space that's suitable for towed campers. They're about the size of a tent camper. The 15 ft trailer doesn't have the king-sized sleeping platform, if that is any concern for you. It was for us, which is why we didn't consider a 19 footer either, because of the sleeping space.

- Jack
Yes, lack of larger bed is a concern and the only way I would consider the 15T would be if it had the bunk bed. I'd like to see one to compare with the 17T, of which I plan to see in several days at a dealer in Arizona although the asking price is way too high.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
sam

Default something to think about

Yes,the dealer is aways from you. They could have it delivered to you. The layout might work for you and the price might be in your range. Ask them to email you pictures. Just saying. Chuck Carlson at Mantelli trailers. 1-716-625-8877. I hear you clearly you are looking at smaller ones.
sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #12

The 18H is the same as a 17T. The 1810H was the last model made by HiLo, it was a cross between a Classic and a Towlite, but mostly a Towlite. My 2310H is the same size as a 22' Towlite. They just rounded off the total lengths to the next higher foot to come up with the number. They made a few 2011 models , very few. Personally, I liked the the features of the pre 2010 models better.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
The 18H is the same as a 17T. The 1810H was the last model made by HiLo, it was a cross between a Classic and a Towlite, but mostly a Towlite. My 2310H is the same size as a 22' Towlite. They just rounded off the total lengths to the next higher foot to come up with the number. They made a few 2011 models , very few. Personally, I liked the the features of the pre 2010 models better.
Agreed! One feature I don't like about the 18H is the rounded, non-opening, front window. We generally have most of the windows open when we camp, to take advantage of breezes. Since we rarely stay in campgrounds with hookups, and don't want to run a big generator, our air conditioner is mostly a roof decoration.

- Jack
Old 03-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. on the 18H. That's helpful to know should I see one for sale, but I wouldn't buy one without inspecting so it would have to be within a day's drive in the Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona/Utah area.

I saw the 17T in Phoenix this week and liked it, but the dealer has it way overpriced--so far.

Question for you: It came equipped with a factory installed solar panel which I would think should keep the batteries charged up. But the double 12v batteries in the unit were nearly discharged, even though the dealer said they had checked them along with all systems and they were good. The batteries were dated 2014. So, how could they be nearly discharged with the solar panel charger?

The sales reps checked with someone else there who said the solar panel was only 30 watts and would not recharge batteries. But I am doubtful about this all.

Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #15

I have an 80 watt solar panel. After about 2 months my batteries yesterday were at 12.5 volts. Not a full charge, but about 75%. As long as they don't go below 12.2 volts or about 50% charge, they should be OK. Just remember to put a full charge on them ever so often.
Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #16
Site Team

Bruce, if that solar panel is the one I think it is, it's only a 15 Watt panel. That means, at 14 Volts, it can only deliver about 1 Amp, max. In practice, it won't even put out that much. I used to use 4-15 Watt panels when camping, connected in parallel for 60 Watts, and the most I ever measured out of them in full sunlight aimed directly at the sun was 2.5 Amps. That amount would just about be a break even charge with us being very careful while camping.

MAYBE, that little panel can maintain the batteries if there is no other load on them, but, I would not bet on it.

I also have a "factory installed" AM/FM/CD/DVD/TV in my trailer and it was hotwired to the battery, so it ALWAYS received "vampire" power, regardless of the master switch position. In about 3-4 weeks, it would kill the battery. I finally tracked down this problem and wired an ON/OFF switch into the power feed to it so that the battery could be completely disconnected from everything in the trailer. If the trailer you looked at had that option, it might well have overpowered the feeble charging current from the panel.

- Jack
Old 03-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #17

We have a 17T since 07 and VERY happy.
We made minor adjustments to Dining and have 2 single beds with a folding table for guests to play cards inside. Also have drop down bunk that works great for 2 small or 1 medium grandkid(s) Changed out stove for 2 burner induction plate and added small microwave so our own pillow, own food and very comfy space means we are on the road more at 70 than at 60.
atboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #18

I have a 2008 15T. My wife I took a month long camping trip in it. We kept most of our cloths in our pick up truck. It was pretty cozy in the trailer. I use the trailer mostly by my self for hunting and fishing. The best feature is it's always in the garage to use when ever the camping urge strikes.

2008 15ft Towlite Limited Edition
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi w/ARE cap
Fastway e2 Hitch
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #19

I have a 2008 15T towlite...My wife and I just love it Their is plenty of room for just the 2 of us.....It trailers great...We pull it with a 2006 For Escape...We get 21MPG towing it...
hiloluvr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiloluvr06 View Post
I have a 2008 15T towlite...My wife and I just love it Their is plenty of room for just the 2 of us.....It trailers great...We pull it with a 2006 For Escape...We get 21MPG towing it...
Wow! Wondering how much MPG do you lose from driving without towing?