Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #21

Default Water Tank and Help request of jack lift point

Well the 1969 manual talks about two different water tanks systems and I'm guessing that I've got the plastic tank and pump system. When I tried it a few years ago everything worked well. Also everything looks original.

Ok, I'm thinking that over the weekend I'm going to try to jack up one side and take the wheel and tire off and check the sizing and the brakes if I can.

What would you folks use as the jack point?? I'm thinking of using the stop where the springs meet the axle. Which in the pic is #1. Or would you use the axle at point #2?

Later Tim & Nancy and a dog that wants to go camping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (90.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (97.8 KB, 22 views)

69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #22

Default Trying this a second time

I don't know where yours should be jacked up from. To be honest I don't know where mine should be jacked up from.
As I have tandom axels I'd first try driving one wheel up on a block of wood/ leveling pads, etc. and see if that'll give me the necessary lift.

But you've got me thinking that I better check it out BEFORE I need to do so.

NOTE: I made this entry a few min ago but for some reason it was published elsewhere.

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #23

Default I tricked you wrascel

I tricked you wrascel. Due to a spellllllling error in the title which I could not correct I deleted the post and corrected the title and reposted it at almost the same time. Therefore this happened.

Yes, I find it fun that there is not anything in my manual or two others that I reviewed about this. I'm sure that someone has had to jack theirs up before. Or I guess that you could lift from the body, not really

Later Tim & Nancy and the Dog
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #24

Default I tricked you wrascel.

That makes you a wrascal too.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #25

Default Jack point

Jack point, Well changed the jack point to the stop just in front of where the spring meets the trailer. This way you can get the tire out without fighting the side of the trailer. Remember to block the wheel and use jack stands for safety reasons. Checked out everything in the bearing brake area. Looks good. See following thread

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f24/...eck-pics-3294/

Later Tim & Nancy and a dog that wants to go camping
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #26

Default Rain

Well between having to work late and it raining did not get much done today. Got some great pics of a 1969 hilo from Jim. Thanks.
More later.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #27

Default cord

Well from another thread I found the following source for a replacement cord to go from the TV (truck) to the hilo. Listing from PappaP. Thanks PappaP

Amazon.com: Conntek ROJ Black 7 Way Plug Inline Trailer Cord: Sports & Outdoors

from this thread

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28/...lacement-2082/

Working on it.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #28

Default 1977 manual

Well just reviewed the 1977 hilo manual

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...7-2577-a-1117/

Has a nice 12volt electric drawing for the top half.

Great job of sharing manuals everyone.. Thanks

Later Tim & Nancy
Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hilo2 View Post
Well from another thread I found the following source for a replacement cord to go from the TV (truck) to the hilo.

from this thread

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28/...lacement-2082/

Working on it.

That is the same power cord replacement that I used on my trailer from the TV back to the terminal block mount on the side of the trailer frame.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #30

Default power

PappaP
Thanks I corrected the above post to state that the link for the cord came from you. Thanks

Powering up the hilo. I'm guessing that sometime around 1999 the hilo company started putting on a converter that was large enough (had enough amps) to handle raising and lower the top of the hilo. I would like to set something like that up sometime in the future.

Does anyone that has a hilo that can raise or lower the top just using AC 110volt know what size or anything about the converter that the hilo company installed?
What do you folks think of a convert like this one.

Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV Inteli-Power 9200 Series 60 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-in Charge Wizard : Amazon.com : Automotive

Outputs 60 amps, would something like that be large enough to handle the pump? Or does the starting pump that they used need more amps than that??

Later Tim & Nancy
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #31

The converter/charger must work in line with the battery to raise the top. The battery is the main source of power, the converter does not supply enough power alone, it just charges the battery and supplies 12 volts to the rest of the trailer.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #32

Default lift

RichR
Thanks and I'm guessing that is the way that it is on the new ones.
In talking with a few folks we are guessing that it can be done without the battery with a larger amp unit that I can't afford at this time. That said we feel that buying a couple of large 12volt batteries would be far cheaper.
Working on it. Tomorrow I'm buying a battery for the hilo. Then thinking about which charger to get to keep it charged.
Working on. Did not get to much done tonight because after work I got to mud and fix small holes and paint at a rental unit we own till 8:30 then drove home. More mud throwing tomorrow with some roof tar work to do also. The fun of it all.

Later Tim & Nancy
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #33

Going with a larger amp unit will not help. The lift can require more amperage than most converters can provide and then it could be too powerful for the battery to handle when charging. The battery is a must have. I trhink others will agree.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #34

Kind of going off what Rich said I guess I am wondering " why" you might want to do that other than to see if it can be done. If you are in a situation where your house battery is dead having another available to jump it is extremely do-able. In fact, I tend to have one always available in my tow vehicles with a built in generator to boot. . Even those " batterey-pack " jump set-ups will work we'll. I suppose I could tear out the dc battery/ transformer in my computer and rig something so I can run more directly off ac but they seemed to have figured that out at the computer company and it works well. Why rip it up and start over?

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hilo2 View Post
PappaP
Thanks I corrected the above post to state that the link for the cord came from you. Thanks

Powering up the hilo. I'm guessing that sometime around 1999 the hilo company started putting on a converter that was large enough (had enough amps) to handle raising and lower the top of the hilo. I would like to set something like that up sometime in the future.

Does anyone that has a hilo that can raise or lower the top just using AC 110volt know what size or anything about the converter that the hilo company installed?
What do you folks think of a convert like this one.

Progressive Dynamics PD9260CV Inteli-Power 9200 Series 60 Amp Converter/Charger with Built-in Charge Wizard : Amazon.com : Automotive

Outputs 60 amps, would something like that be large enough to handle the pump? Or does the starting pump that they used need more amps than that??

Later Tim & Nancy
Thanks Tim, I didn't realize that it was a link to the original post from my cord replacement.

Here is a picture of the Converter in my unit. It is mounted upside down so I flipped the picture so you can see the model and amperage is 40amp, not sure if that is the original converter though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power converter 2.jpg (83.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Power Converter.jpg (94.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #36

Default Thanks for the info

Well everyone Thanks for the info.
I still say it can be done and I have a friend or two that also state that it can be done. That said no one wanted to pony up the $500 to build the set up, when you can buy new deep cycle marine batteries for less than $90 each.
Just bought a new deep cycle Marine battery 715 cranking amp's @ 32 degrees that is. Now to review trickle chargers. Several of you folks have been kind enough to suggest ones already. I'll be reviewing those posts later. Thanks.
Well finished normally job and then did some roof work and did some drywall mud work and came home to rain. So I'm here for a few minutes then off to dinner. After dinner I might try to get out to the hilo and install the new battery and see what works and does not work.
Looking forward to a day off tomorrow for the 4th of July.
Everyone have a Safe 4th of July.

Later Tim & Nancy & a dog that wants to go camping
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #37

Default Alternate trickle charger

my camper came with a good-sized solar panel on the roof (of course I don't know if it works) but it's worth considering.

Last I heard Florida was the sun-shine state (or was that orange juice?); me, I'm soggy and wet in lower Alabama.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #38
sam

Default weather report

Today was dry in Niagara Falls,NY. The stores were crowded with many purchases for the 4th of July celebrations. Right now it is thundering and the rain has begun and is predicted to be up and down the entire east coast. Sure wish we could give our rain to parts of the USA that desperately need it. DH has a few indoor fixit projects to do for our disabled friends. Enjoy the 4th of July. Remember freedom isn't free.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #39

Default Our Fla weather report

When did this thread turn into a weather report thread.
Ok, keeping up with this change. Wet, very wet that's our area of Fla weather report. Same for the next 7 days according to the paper. It's all right it's dry in the hilo.

Later Tim
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #40

Default Raising top with 110 volt AC

Raising top with 110 volt AC.
From the above posts about doing this I guess that I should add one of the things that my think tank friends asked in doing the project -- was how large an arc-welder do you think that we are going to need to take apart and rebuild to get this done. My friends and I think outside of the box sometimes. Ok, a lot of times. Lots of fun talks about a large group of projects. Sometimes they happen..

Later Tim