Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #1

Angry 1981 Hilo stuck in up position

I have only had this hilo for a couple of months, and, up until this past weekend, haven't had any problems going up and down. When I got ready to lower it this weekend, I raised it like I was suppose to, but the locking cable will not release. I even took off the locking cable armature and tried to disengage it by putting a small screw driver in the slot where the locking armature sits, but no luck. The motor tries to turn, so I know there is no problem with the power, or the motor. The locking mechanism is just stuck. I do have the original manual, and it shows a manual release switch on the motor, but I did not have a screw driver that would fit in the area to remove the motor cover. I did buy a small ratchet screwdriver set yesterday, and will take off the cover this weekend. Is there anything special I need to know once I get the cover off, in order to manually disengage? Thanks for any help. By the Way, this camper is in EXCELLENT Condition, and has been stored under cover in a shop for the past several years. I did notice that the locking armature was worn in the area that goes down into the slit in the "shaft" when I took it off. I am hoping this was just a fluke, and that I won't have any future problems with it, if I could just get it unlocked!

81hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

I'm not handy nor a fix-it person. It could be that the safety bar is not disengaging when you pull the cable. To find out you need to be under the Hi-Lo and have someone pull the cable. If you don't see the safety bar move (away from the guide rail) when the cable is being pulled that is the problem. Make sure nothing is jammed. I read of one person who found a small rock that somehow got jammed in there preventing the safety bar from being release. Also check the guide rail to ensure it is not bent or jammed. You could also call the Hi-Lo factory - they are open to calls and are helpful.

Meriflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

Default Trailer Won't Lower

Sounds like your unit has the "creep". Sometimes the top, when in the raised position, will "creep" down a little and rest on the safety bar. Try raising the top. It should go up a little (1/2 inch at most). This will now free up the safety bar. Now pull out the safety bar cable and lower the top. I have had to do this to my trailer a few times.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I got it fixed! I used an airhose to blow out the slot where the safety bar rests, and then raised it up a little bit, and it disengaged. I appreciate all of the help.
81hilo is offline   Reply With Quote