Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Default 1987 Shower

We are working on completely restoring our Hi-Lo. Got the lift system working, have taken out the interior, it was all rotted except for kitchen area. Got 2 coats of KoolSeal on roof and will be putting ceiling in tomorrow.
But I'm unsure about what the shower had for walls. Should I put a shower curtain that completely encloses you? Or was there a waterproof covering on the walls?
Can anyone post a picture and show me what should go around the shower? We want to do this right and NOT have to do it again.
Also, can anyone recommend the best Butyl Tape and where to get it. We are talking the windows out to put new walls inside and I want to seal them properly.

lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
sam

Default Wall repair

Tomorrow I will get my daughter to post the link to our 1990 25ft. HiLo Classic restoration. Our walls consisted of fiberglass skin,1/8th luan then 1/2 in sheets of Styrofoam insulation and then 1/8 Georgia Pacific panelling that had a vinyl coating on it. This was also in our shower area. Our shower has a track in the ceiling with a shower curtain. Our particular model has a bathtub. If you have ripped the walls back to the fiberglass then you need to coat all the interior walls with 3M bondo as this will seal up any pinholes. Even the ones you can't see. Follow all directions on the can. We used many tubes of HD Niquid Nails per each layer of material. Walmart has the best price. If I recall correctly we used two tubes per panel..generous application. Butyl tape can be purchased at any Rv place or on the internet. A good caulk to use is Lexel. It can be purchased at ACE hardwear or on the internet. Use this to seal around the exterior window after reinsertion. You are correct in taking out every window and resealing. Best of luck with your rebuild.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

That would be wonderful. Can you tell me if we need a "wrap around" shower curtain? Or do we allow water to hit the wall around shower?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Lovejoy, our 1707T has a wraparound curtain. I don't think it would be a good idea to let the shower spray a wall, even if it were finished in a waterproof coating. A wall also has joints (with other walls and cabinetry) that might absorb water if continuously exposed to spray.

Anyway, that's my opinion on this subject. I may be too cautious.

- Jack
Old 04-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Lovejoy, our 1707T has a wraparound curtain. I don't think it would be a good idea to let the shower spray a wall, even if it were finished in a waterproof coating. A wall also has joints (with other walls and cabinetry) that might absorb water if continuously exposed to spray.

Anyway, that's my opinion on this subject. I may be too cautious.

- Jack
What Jack said.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #6
sam

Default wall repair

Yes, absolutely use two shower curtains and then if any water does get on the walls dry it off with a towel or chamosis cloth. 3Sam TLPX'S Photobucket. 4-6-2014 Wall Repair link. Is your exterior aluminium or fiberglass?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #7

The main reason for using the wrap around curtain is the "lip" where the top and bottom meet when top is in raised position. Even if you use some type of waterproof material on the walls around shower area, water is going to collect on this ledge and over time do serious damage to walls. There should be a "T" bar track that goes in a square shape around the shower area attached to the ceiling that the shower curtain rollers will engage and roll on. as someone previously stated it will take 2 shower curtains to completely enclose the area.
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #8

Thank you everyone. 2 curtains it is. I have to order the track and carriers for the curtain.
The exterior if fiberglass.