Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Default 1993 22L Remodel of Myrtle

We purchased our 1993 22L several years ago in her all original condition and glory. She's solid and looks great at first glance, but has some squishy spots around three windows. After I convinced DH that camping life is really great (well, not entirely true, but he's a great sport and loves me), we considered selling her and moving up into a larger and lighter trailer, but are so enamored with "Myrtle the Turtle" that we have chosen to invest time and energy into repairing her walls and remodeling her.

So let the journey begin. I spent this past weekend stripping her: removed window treatments, cabinet fronts, bathroom curtains, table, couch, and bunk. Outside of the couch removal, which included some contortion and a giggling fit, it was a smooth process. DH is scratching his head wondering what we've gotten into, but I'm nothing but excited.

I've already received new cushions and fabric for reupholstering, plus additional fabric for curtains and girly touches. This winter will be the hard work of everything in between. The final doll-up is to repaint her to compliment "Ruby" our truck.

What better place to track this journey than here with fellow Hi-Lo fans and experts. I'll post progress as we go along and will be sure to turn to you with questions.

First question I should have asked...there's got to be an easier way to remove that couch. We never could find a release for the drawer glide to aid in its removal. Glad there's no pic of how I had to bend myself around that couch edge to reach the mounting screws in the back.

I've attached before pics. She looks great, but when you see her naked, you'll understand that this is for her own good.

Kathleen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171028_103342.jpg (198.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_103519.jpg (171.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_103625.jpg (169.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_162024.jpg (156.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_162301.jpg (186.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20171028_162042.jpg (157.4 KB, 44 views)

TheWebbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Nice!

I got a kick out of this:
"we considered selling her and moving up into a larger and lighter trailer"

Do Hi-Lo's really weigh that much more than a "conventional" camper of equivalent size (I haven't compared directly, but weight seems to be a secondary concern on every camper I've looked at).

Where's you source the cushion material? What did it cost? Did you have a choice of cushion densities? How did you choose?

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #3

Hi Knotty,

I had dug around a lot on the internet considering different cushion options: buy new foam (holy moly expensive) and recover? purchase outdoor cushions to fit? different custom websites? By the time you buy the foam and fabric and time, it was worth finding someone else to do it for me (and I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine).

I turned to RV Furniture RV Cushions Bedding Skylights RV Water Tanks RV Holding Tanks RV Roof Vent RV Escape Hatch RV Range Hood RV Tire Carrier Pleated Shades DayNight Shades RV Sinks RV Jack RV Accessories Camper Accessories. They have a limited fabric selection since it's overstock, but after a couple rounds of sending swatches, we settled on something that we liked. We order a full set of dinette cushions in the higher grade foam, with an additional 10 yards of fabric to reupholster the couch and decorative end caps. The cushions were $313, fabric $97.50. With shipping and tax, $479.39 total. They look great! Can't wait to show her off when it's all in place.

DH can talk more about the trailer weight and towing capacity, but there are certainly lighter trailers out there of the same size. But the trade off of being able to store her in our shop and the shes-so-cool factor outweigh her extra pounds. I'm pretty sure, the extra pounds I carry don't warrant a trade in either.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

Hi Knotty,

I did a lot of comparison shopping and considered different options: 1) buy (holy cow) expensive foam and recover the cushions myself; 2) look for comparable outdoor cushions; 3) go the easiest route and search for RV Pro's to do it for me. I went with #3 and found rvandvansurplus on the internet. They have a limited fabric supply and it took a couple rounds of ordering swatches until we found something we both liked. All in all, with great looking cushions and 10 yards of additional fabric to reupholster our couch and decorative end caps, the total came to around $475.

There are trailers of comparable size that do weigh less. However, we thought the shes-so-cool factor outweighed her extra pounds. That's what DH says about me, too.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

So.....I would pull all those windows and reseal them. There are a bunch of threads on how to do that and more than a few generic videos on you tube. You need to find out where the leak(s) is coming from. Also- those windows are supposed to be resealed every ten years or so anyway.... (maybe you already are planning on doing this). I found a leak above my kitchen window as it turns out---and it was where the hood range exhaust vented to outside. That piece was not well sealed and the water came in and travelled around the window frame and pooled at the bottom. Your picture reminded me of it. Had I not simply decided to re seal the window I never would have caught it. have fun.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

So Rv & Van Surplus had the foam too? If so, for $475 thats a GREAT deal!

Did they just supply the foam and material, which you then stitched yourself?

"However, we thought the shes-so-cool factor outweighed her extra pounds. That's what DH says about me, too."

Haha - guess he's a keeper then! (And so is the DH! )
Old 10-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #7

Thanks Rick. Yea..windows will be coming out and wall panel replaced wherever needed. This past summer - after a gnarly hail storm - DH resealed the entire roof and painted it with sealer. But the windows...yep, coming out. If we are going to do this thing, there's only one way. The right way. DH is very talented and I'm willing to learn. So much to learn.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

That big fat nickel covered the complete, finished set of cushions plus the 10 yards of matching fabric. I'll do the couch myself. You provide dimensions and they send you a big box of this-would-have-taken-me-forever.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWebbs View Post
That big fat nickel covered the complete, finished set of cushions plus the 10 yards of matching fabric. I'll do the couch myself. You provide dimensions and they send you a big box of this-would-have-taken-me-forever.
Wow thats great! DW and I *could* do the sewing ourselves, but really would rather not. At that kind of price we dont have to!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
sam

Default Repairs

Welcome to the forum. Many threads on repairs. We have had similar water damage and ended up rebuilding our walls. Every window was taken out and scraped of old butyl tape. The butyl tape was replaced and then Lexel caulk was used on the outside. Plan on a huge quanity of stainless steel screws for replacement. Sounds like you are a good team for these repairs. Glad you didn't go with a light weight trailer. They don't hold up after being slammed down the road. Our repairs were done 6yrs ago and have held up very well.Try to take your old paneling off in big pieces to use for patterns around the window. We are here to answer your questions. Keep us posted. Anything that needs repair on a HiLo can be fixed.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
...The butyl tape was replaced and then Lexel caulk was used on the outside. Plan on a huge quantity of stainless steel screws for replacement...take your old paneling off in big pieces to use for patterns around the window...Anything that needs repair on a HiLo can be fixed.
Sam,

Man-o-man, I love this forum. I've added the following items to my project notebook: butyl tape, lexel caulk, and huge qty's of stainless steel nails, templates from old panels, anything is possible

I am so thankful for your generous advice and confirming my optimism to repair and doll-up Myrtle.
Eastern Kansas
Old 10-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Glad you're with us, but you want stainless steel SCREWS, not "nails".

- Jack
Old 10-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #13

[QUOTE=you want stainless steel SCREWS, not "nails".

- Jack[/QUOTE]

Ah...noted and corrected. Feel like I've got a bunch of big e-brothers and e-sisters out there keeping an eye out for L'il Sis trailing along.
Eastern Kansas
Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
Site Team

You DO! We are all learning and hope that we can pass that learning on.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:27 PM   #15
sam

Default Repairs

You are right about taking the couch out. It is a back breaking pain,but doable. Lexel caulk is a premium caulk(about 8.00 a tube). It can be purchased at ACE hardware.Lowes or on line. Start by putting cardboard on all your floors and counter tops. Take pictures of placement of items that you tear out. Six months down the road you won;t remember everything. A multitool will get lots of use on your project. Any wall that you strip down to the fiberglass should be coated with liquid bondo. This will seal up any holes you can't see. Metal inside frame get painted with Rustoleum or a like product. Harbor freight is a good place to get items for your rebuild. That's all I can think of for tips to get you statred.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #16

where did you get the butyl tape that you used on the windows?
keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #17

Butyl tape can be found on Amazon or any RV supply house.
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #18
Site Team

keystone, As mentioned, butyl tape is avail on amazon as well as Eternabond. I usually buy butyl tape in the 5pack. I also keep a roll of Eternabond for both the Hi Lo and the house, both have come in very handy a few times. Saved a campers vacation because of a leaking skylight. If your re-sealing your windows, you'll need the 5 pack but you'll have left overs for spare AND save money!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #19

Concerning screws-

When I re-did my windows I bought stainless. I was having a hell of a time on the re-install and kept twisting the heads off them. My trailer guy said he still goes with zinc because the heads breaking off was a known problem with the stainless. So- I bought a box of zinc screws and that seemed to eliminate the problem .

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
Site Team

Rick, I've noticed that stainless steel screws are not as durable as zinc coated steel ones too. As long as you don't need significant torque to set the screws, stainless are fine, but you have to be sensitive to the force needed and be ready to drill a larger pilot hole.

A thought - if the threads and screw diameters are the same, you could insert a galvanized screw to "create" the path, and then replace it with a stainless one.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote