Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raagee View Post
I have recently purchased an 2902BX...When looking at the lifting cable attachment points on the bottom side of the top, the cables have actually cut into the inner edge. On the LR cable, the aluminum box channel (inside the wall) as actually bent due to excessive lifting force. I discovered this while conducting delamination repairs. To rectify this issue, I have had C channels made from 1/8" steel (then powder coated) to assist in spreading the lifting force to more of the upper frame. (Why Hi-Lo put windows above lifting points is beyond me). Has anyone else seen this type of failure?
Yes, I had it on my trailer, but it was all my fault. I adjusted one corner of the top too high, thinking I needed to align the edges of the molding on the bottom half and the top half on the inside of the trailer. So, I shortened that cable too much, which bent the edge guard that the cable went around along the bottom edge of that corner.

I did something like you did to fix it. First, I filled the dent along the bottom edge with epoxy, then I cut and applied a longer aluminum edge guard under the straightened OEM guard. And, I carefully adjusted all cables so that the rubber gasket along the inside of the top just touches the "lip" along the top edge of the bottom half.

I have a post in a thread from several years ago with pictures to show my repair. It's Post #5 here: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...l-height-1632/

- Jack

Old 05-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #22

This trailer did not come with the edge guards...the C channels I have had manufactured are two feet in length to help spread out the load. I would have thought with a 29 ft trailer, 6 cables (instead of the standard 4) would have mitigated the stress on the lifting points. The frame rail in the wall has a slight bend to it now. Not sure if I will be able to get it straightened out without risking more damage then repair. Hopefully correcting the delamination issues will help in stiffening the wall back up.

raagee is offline   Reply With Quote