Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 10-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

Default Age of Trailer Matter when Buying??

Hi, I have three choices: 2004 17T, 2008 17T, and 2010 17T. Does the age of the trailer matter, is newer better???? Also what is this you have been saying about the roof and what should I specifically look for?? I am the 71 year old woman who goes it alone and need all the help I can get. lol Anyway next question, the first two have the bed near the ceiling to drop down, the newer ones doesn't, has anyone ever used the ceiling bunk or is it not really necessary. Thanks for all your help, I am so glad I joined this forum. Janice Gealey

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #2

Default In a very basic way

newer may indicate better, but only if everything else is equal. What if it was abused and the oldest was only used by another 71 year old widow on monthy fifth Sundays of each leap year.

Won't the upper bed only be used (and necessary) when you run out of other bedding options?

Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Gealey View Post
Hi, I have three choices: 2004 17T, 2008 17T, and 2010 17T. Does the age of the trailer matter, is newer better???? Also what is this you have been saying about the roof and what should I specifically look for?? I am the 71 year old woman who goes it alone and need all the help I can get. lol Anyway next question, the first two have the bed near the ceiling to drop down, the newer ones doesn't, has anyone ever used the ceiling bunk or is it not really necessary. Thanks for all your help, I am so glad I joined this forum. Janice Gealey
I would choose the 2008 17T, as a maintance issue any RV will need some but the 08 will be better in condition than the 04. The most common problem is the exterior caulking,just the age and the UV rays break it down,this is a maintance item only and the caulking should be kept in good condition to prevent furture water leaks.All those years have alumium framing which is important. All those years also have alumium roofs which last longer than rubber roofs. Some hi-los came with rubber roofs in early 2000's. When you look at the 08 check-out the roof for pin hole corosion spots.I did not have this on my1997 or my 2006 but others who had issues have coated the roof in a rubber coating when they found the problem.
Hi-los with the upper bunk may have a higher resale because thats what families are looking for. I would keep the frame and remove the mattress, then you have an easy storage area for your bedding and extra blankets.Or if your family joined you for a camp out,you'd have an extra sleep area.
The interior color is a personal choice,the 04 will have pinks and green,08 will have grays and blues,and 10 will have tans and browns. 08 in interior color is my pick.Also in 2010 hi-lo switched to a lighter color wood for the paneling and darker color wood for the drawers and cabinet doors(for me it looked mis-matched) but the contruction of all the years your looking at is the same.
The biggest factor in choosing the 08 is the front window cover. This will give you the best protection from rocks while towing. Plus it darkens the bed area a lot more if your camping at a britly lit campground. I'm not sold yet on a trailer without a stone-guard like the 2010 because your front window is so low to the ground while towing.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
sam

Default advice on bying a HiLo

Les, I agree with all your advice. I guess we are lucky our 1990 Classic has a rubber roof that didn't give us any leaks until 22 yrs. later. It is still going with a 20ft. rubber roof patch on it. DH primed and used two coats of Dicor roof coat. Sure looks great in snow white. I recently saw a flier from camping world with the price for roof recoat at $350.00 plus shop supplies and tax. It is good to know how much $ we saved. Can't figure out what we are doing with all these savings!! Buying new tires for old faithful in the spring.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote