Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

Default Air Conditioner Mounting Question??

I have removed my air conditioner to redo the top half of the camper. There is foam striping on the bottom about and inch thick around where the opening is the goes through the roof plus more towards the back of the unit. It looks like it is there to keep it off the roof some, and the strip in the back it keep it level on the roof.

My question is do I put the Buytal (sp) putty tape on the foam strip around the opening? The other thing is even if I were to take the cover on the outside off there is no why in the world to get the lexell caulking around the square opening. Should I go inside after mounting the unit to the roof and Lexell around the opening where the roof and putty tape meet from the inside just for extra protection against any water getting in?

Thanks for any help or advice.

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
lengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #2

Geeeees..... I meant "about an inch thick around where the opening goes through the roof, plus there is more foam towards the back of the unit."

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Lengle, I think what you're looking at is the seal for the AC. You may want to replace the seal since you disturbed the AC and it may leak. Here is a website look at the photos. RV Roof Air Conditioner Gasket Kit - PPL Motor Homes

Cheers
garyk52

Check the web for better price if you decide to go new.
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
sam

Default Gasket for air conditioner.

I defeniately would go with a new gasket for the air conditioner. You could call JR in Ohio or Mantelli trailer sales in NY. Ask for Jay in parts or Steve in service. They will tell you how to do this install corrrectly. They might have the gsket for you. Have your aC make and model#. (716)625-8877. I have also ordered from the place in Texas and my item arrived in good condition,just tooka few days.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

I defeniately would go with a new gasket for the air conditioner. the old ones dry out and crack causing dust and leaking problems
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #6

Ok will go for a new one. The one that is on there is in real good shape, enough so that I think I can skate by for this camping trip since I am leaving on July fouth for two weeks. Let my DH know that when I get back the gasket should be in so we will need to remove add new gasket and reinstall. Needless to say he is not thrilled, but I can't get it here before leaving with out paying an arm and leg for shipping and since I am about $800 into this (minor..ha ha) job, funds are not there for that right now.

Thanks for all the advice.

1994 towlite 18TL
1999 Durango
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

Pretty sure you could buy the gasket at a local rv place and have it done before the trip and not have to worry about it after the trip... to me $20 is worth the piece of mind that it "shouldn't" leak because you took it off and decided to "wing it" until you got back.

Just my 0.02 worth...

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote