Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #1

Default Another Icon in the RV world closes it doors

Coleman Folding Trailers closed their doors on Wednesday.

Somerset plant shutting Local News The Tribune Democrat, Johnstown, PA

The sad part of this for me is that my Hi-Lo dealer friend is also a Coleman dealer. They were his lifeline. We bought our first Coleman camper from him in 1979. Five Coleman popups and two Hi-Lo trailers later we are still great friends. He has really had the carpet pulled out from under his feet.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Yow! I wonder if people are buying "used" rather than "new" and that's what's caused the market turn-down in this size trailer? And, people with "big bucks" always "buy new" (and weren't effected by the economic turndown anyway)?

- Jack

Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

JackNJanet,

It doesnt take a Rocket Doctor, to see the writing on the wall... selling used or new, with gas expected to be in the $5 gallon range by xmas '11... Everything keeps going up in price. Hell a bottle of pop was under 1.00 2 years ago, now over 1.50. My wages cant even cope with that, let alone electricity, trash, water, taxes...

IMHO, Nobody will be doing JACK SQUAT, no camping, nothing. They closed the doors to stop the money losses due to nothing selling, because I think people more like me see, it wont be something we can afford.

Hell, I am lucky to bought mine cheap and used, if I had a $25,000+ version and making payments on it, I would be screwed.

I dont know about you, but in my "below or very bottom of middle class" income, has not even kept up with inflation, for 3+ years now... sigh.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #4

This is less than an hour from me. Our entire region is getting hit hard by the economy but the President says things are improving. I just don't see it. $5 gas will prob put me out of work as an Auto Tech and I can't afford the gas to get to work at that. What a mess.

wvjeepr
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

I'm an hour from there as well, I was looking at a niagra or avalon when I bought my hilo this past summer, two years ago I almost bought a new niagara up at Super City.
I really liked them but thought packing up a wet pup would be even worse that packing up my wet coleman 7 man tent.
I bought used just for the reason of paying cash and avoiding a payment, I couldn't justify taking on the payment with the current economy. I know when I was looking last summer used trailers were going like hot cakes, dealers couldn't keep them on the lot if they were in decent shape.
Hopefully I will be able to afford to tow it this year.
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #6

One of the problems that potential buyers are encountering is not being able to obtain loans. Banks aren't as eager to give out money like they did three years ago. Both new and used RVs are affected by this. My credit union RV loan rate is 9.9%.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Yes that's true.
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #8

Coleman itself isn't going out of business. They have licensed the pop up trailer line to a private company that has folded up. Last I heard, Coleman was trying to reach their contacts in the company but so far, had been unable to.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #9

That's right. Coleman licensed their name to be used on the trailers and in no way owns the factory. I heard that they got $100 per trailer.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
sam

Default Colemaqn trailer co. closing

We just came back from a rv show in Hamburgh,NY.About 100 trailers with 8 of them sold.Several used trailers had been sold. Most of the RVS were light versions. Had to chuckle at the claim that most of them could be pulled by a
half ton truck. Every single interior had brown couches,brown carpet and brown
in the wallpaper. No wow factor to the interiors. I will take my sturdy wow
interior Hi-Lo classic over a new rv any day! The big new thrill was exterior
kitchens and exterior entertainment centers. Mayber we will all be camping
close to home or taking staycations. Our personal economic situation has
gone downhill with the recession. Many states and the federal gov. are in
great deficit. A scary time but we still sleep well at night.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #11

I love my paid for Hi Low and will not be buying anything new in the near future. The economy is terrible we are renting a lot on a local river and the HI Low stays there. 20 min. drive time each way so I guess that is a staycation of sorts. Enjoy the summer wherever you go.

Harry

wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote