Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Default Anybody ever heard of this?

Hi again,
I posted question about a water leak on a 2007 Hi-Lo 22T that we are looking at for $6995.00. (by the way, that price includes a new electric brake controller, a new weight dist hitch and an anti-sway device) I just talked to the salesman and he told me that he ran into the original owner on Saturday and he asked him about the leakage problem. The previous owner told him that the problem was not a water leak!!! He says that he had scheduled the unit to go into Hi Lo for repairs but they went belly up before that was done. He claims that the bulging in the interior ceiling was due to "gas pockets" that formed from the lamination process and that it was a "known issue" with Hi Lo. Have any of you ever heard of this problem or do you think this is just a line that they are feeding me? Thanks, Michael

mjdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdaniel View Post
Hi again,
I posted question about a water leak on a 2007 Hi-Lo 22T that we are looking at for $6995.00. (by the way, that price includes a new electric brake controller, a new weight dist hitch and an anti-sway device) I just talked to the salesman and he told me that he ran into the original owner on Saturday and he asked him about the leakage problem. The previous owner told him that the problem was not a water leak!!! He says that he had scheduled the unit to go into Hi Lo for repairs but they went belly up before that was done. He claims that the bulging in the interior ceiling was due to "gas pockets" that formed from the lamination process and that it was a "known issue" with Hi Lo. Have any of you ever heard of this problem or do you think this is just a line that they are feeding me? Thanks, Michael
Contact these cats. They use to do the warranty work for Hi-Lo. They have all the answers!

Home - JR REPAIR

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Small hard bumps, pea size and smaller were a known problem, I have some in my 2209, but large sagging areas are leaks.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Default 2007 22T ceiling

This bulge runs about 3/4 of the way down the right side of the ceiling. It is hard when you push on it and not soft at all. Personally, I can't imagine how gas could cause this but that is what the previous owner says. I have emailed JR Repair to ask their opinion.
mjdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
sam

Default Ceiling dammage.

I was told that defective drywall with vinyl coating was purchased from china. Would this same drywall have been used on the ceiling? I think it is a different material on the ceiling. Please correct me if i am wrong. It would be helpful if you went to the dealer and took pictures of the ceiling dammage and posted them on this forum. Also send a copy to JR for his opinion. I had a rubber roof leak and it somewhat wrinkled the paper covering on my inside ceiling above one of my couch/beds. When you feel it the area is hard/dry. Yet i know that the water got into the underlay and caused the interior ceiling to wrinkle. The final decision if you buy this unit will be yours to decide. Do you want to spend all your free time from early spring until late fall to fix this dammage yourself?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #6

The defect is exactly how Poprichie77 explained in his/her post and IMO is not what is going on in this Hi-Lo that you're looking at. I believe I found the one you are looking at on RV Trader. To me, that looks like water damage.

2007 Hi-Lo Classic 22, Greencastle PA - 106312910 - RVTrader.com

Let me know if this is the one you're looking at. I have a 2007 22T for sale that comes with an Equalizer hitch if you're interested. The price is higher than $6995 but but there is no damage.
Meriflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

I must agree with Meriflower (Nancy) if this is the Hi-Lo you are looking at. Friends of ours had this same issue in their 2007 the 50th Anniversary edition which was caused from the air conditioner leaking. Which was of course water damage. The water ran from the air conditioner and pooled under the ceiling in the corner which they didn't notice at first because of the drop down bunk. This is exactly how the ceiling looked in their unit. They sold theirs three years ago didn't want to hassle with it.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
sam

Default To buy or not to buy.

I looked at the RV trader link. It is very evident to me that the dammage is a water leak. I would pay more for a trailer that doesn't need two thousand worth of materials and a million hrs. of DIYS labor. Do not buy this trailer would be my advice.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #9

mjdaniel -- There is a hole in the salesman's story. The unit is a 2007 Hi-Lo. I am assuming that the original buyer purchased it new, and what the original buyer was going to do is have the ceiling problem repaired under warranty by Hi-Lo. Hi-Lo did not go out of business until June-July of 2010. Under the one-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, the original owner would have had to have it repaired by 2008 or 2009. Hi-Lo was still in business then. I know, because I purchased a new 25-foot Classic from the factory in November of 2009 and was still communicating with them by phone up until June of 2010 to get directions as to how to operate certain features of the Hi-Lo. Tom was quite helpful and now once in a while pops up on the Yahoo forum to answer a few Hi-Lo questions.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #10

You've got to give the dealer credit for posting pictures of the damaged area(s). Not many would do this, just the good shots, getting your interest up, hoping upon an emotional connection and quick sale.

Jim
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Yes, the ceiling also gets the small bumps, they come from the wood paneling that was used both on the walls and the ceiling. If you open the area up it is black and ugly looking.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I looked at the RV trader link. It is very evident to me that the dammage is a water leak. I would pay more for a trailer that doesn't need two thousand worth of materials and a million hrs. of DIYS labor. Do not buy this trailer would be my advice.
Take Sam's and my word for it. If that's the unit your looking at. That's a lot of water damage. Been there fixed that. Offer them $2500.00 then walk away if you don't have the tools, skill, time to remove all the wet ceiling panels and replace, plus I would almost guarantee that unit has sidewall damage to go along with the ceiling damage.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
sam

Default Buying used water dammaged trailer.

I agree with Gary 52 on the amt of water dammage. Again,just hate to see you get burned/discouraged with this amt. of extensive repairs. Gary52 bought a HiLo for $1.00. His extensive repairs took him every spare minute he had for and entire spring,summer and fall. Keep posting.