Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #21

Lifting the top off the safety bar seems to be the issue. The top is up. It was up when we got it. Father in law says to lift the top up just a little, then pull the release cable, and push the toggle down to lower. But the top wont budge. It seems like its maxed out in the up position. The pump runs when you put the toggle up, but the top doesnt move. Any ideas?

Shooff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
gus

if the pump going up is working, you may have a lock that is stuck or jammed, and you may have to give it manually a little lift, in my shop I had a couple of times where the lift will not go down and there is a vehicle stuck on it, use a floor jack with some 2x4 to lift it.

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooff82 View Post
Is the pump supposed to run when u lower it? Also, if i turn the manual release valve all the way to the left as to release pressure,and pull the safety release, it still does nothing. If the solenoid is bad, could i just use an old Ford solenoid? Thats kinda what it looks like
Poprichie and gus are right the pump does not run while lowering to the down position. That is what I was trying to explain earlier with the lowering valve it opens and allows the hydraulic fluid to be released back into the reservoir and the top starts to lower.

Shoof the way you have qouted above it sounds as if your turning the manual release valve all the way to the left and you think that will release the safety? If that is what your thinking that is the wrong way and we have explained that you need to turn that manual release valve all the way closed, which is too your right, like righty tighty, NOT lefty loosey. Once the manual release valve is closed you should then try to raise the top using the up position while pulling out on the safety release cable. The top should make a somewhat of a grinding noise when it reaches the top limit. Then while holding the safety release cable still in the pulled out position you can press the top down button and lower the top normally. If it still doesn't lower then it is possible as we have explained that the safety release may be caught on something and not being allowed to release, you would need to crawl under the trailer and take a look at the safety release, possibly have someone pull it out while your watching to see if it is making the correct action to release. Hope this helps to explain?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
gus

It could also be that the cable is the original cable and its stretched a little and in the up position the hydraulic ram is maxed out but the cable still has a little slack in it, enough not to lift it off the locks. if it was mine I would check to see if the tension in the cables can be adjusted, or for now I would use a floor jack and 2x4 to lift each corner to max and support it with 2x4 then see if the lock release can be pulled then lower it all the way down, finally adjust the tension in cables .
Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Lifting the top off the safety bar seems to be the issue. The top is up. It was up when we got it. Father in law says to lift the top up just a little, then pull the release cable, and push the toggle down to lower. But the top wont budge. It seems like its maxed out in the up position. The pump runs when you put the toggle up, but the top doesnt move. Any ideas?
What position do you have the master switch in? It should be down.The top will not come down if you have it in the up position.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Quote:
I went by the markings on the side of the gallon jug i was using and by the filling instructions elsewhere on the site in that the fluid level should be about an inch from top. I did that and the top still wont rise. The pump made a high-pitched squeal and i adjusted the pressure relief screw like the instruction manual for the 1977 camper( closest to my year on this site) but it made no difference except for the sound. I doesnt sound like its straining anymore, but it still doesnt move.
Just pointing this out, not sure what he adjusted but if it was the pressure relief valve, the pump may not be making any pressure.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
gus

Rich, I am not sure what the adjustment relief valve is for other than manually letting fluid back into reservoir, but is it possible if Shooff82 added that much fluid in the system, then there might be some worn seals, losing fluid and letting air trapped in hydraulic lines, like if air is trapped in brake lines in cars, then pedal feels spongy and air needs to be bled out. either the pump is bad or the seal in the ram is bad, I guess a process of elimination should be done to determine where the lost fluid is gone, there might be multiple problems? just a thought
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #28

I imagine he added that much fluid because all of the fluid was in the ram because the top was already up. The manual says add fluid till it's so high from the top however it needs to be in the down position. In the up position, he'll get a false reading and the resevoir will appear low.

Shoof, where are you located?
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #29

Hutchinson, ks. The camper is in the street in front of my house so there isnt much room to work on it and I definately am not going to crawl under it. If the weather clears up, im going to pull it to work and do what was suggested and use a floor jack and some 2x4's to try and lift the top enough to drop the top. I'll also crawl under it to take a look at the ram and cables. A relative of my wifes was staying in the camper and my FIL says she was in it for about 3 years. Is it possible something is a little stuck from being up that long?
Shooff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
It could also be that the cable is the original cable and its stretched a little and in the up position the hydraulic ram is maxed out but the cable still has a little slack in it, enough not to lift it off the locks. if it was mine I would check to see if the tension in the cables can be adjusted, or for now I would use a floor jack and 2x4 to lift each corner to max and support it with 2x4 then see if the lock release can be pulled then lower it all the way down, finally adjust the tension in cables .
This is a very good possability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Rich, I am not sure what the adjustment relief valve is for other than manually letting fluid back into reservoir, but is it possible if Shooff82 added that much fluid in the system, then there might be some worn seals, losing fluid and letting air trapped in hydraulic lines, like if air is trapped in brake lines in cars, then pedal feels spongy and air needs to be bled out. either the pump is bad or the seal in the ram is bad, I guess a process of elimination should be done to determine where the lost fluid is gone, there might be multiple problems? just a thought
First, make sure this manual release valve is turned all the way in. The pump makes a god awful racket when maxed out yet is relatively quiet when lifting. If the pump sounds smooth but isn't lifting, I believe this valve needs to be shut, similiar to a floor jack that you have to turn the little valve to lower it. If the pump makes a horrible noise when you try to raise, the pump is maxed out and your problem is probobly stretched cables.

Quote:
Hutchinson, ks. The camper is in the street in front of my house so there isnt much room to work on it and I definately am not going to crawl under it. If the weather clears up, im going to pull it to work and do what was suggested and use a floor jack and some 2x4's to try and lift the top enough to drop the top. I'll also crawl under it to take a look at the ram and cables. A relative of my wifes was staying in the camper and my FIL says she was in it for about 3 years. Is it possible something is a little stuck from being up that long?
I doubt anything is stuck. These campers can be lowered after 10 years in the up position sometimes. I think the problem lies with getting it up off of the safety lock. Could be the manual lower valve isn't tight. Could be stretched cables.

When you pull the safety lock cable, is there any give at all or does it feel like the cable is tied off to something at the other end? On mine, I can feel a slight tension and when I pull past that, I can hear the thunk of the cable lock disengaging underneath.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #31
gus

I checked mine the other day from underneath, and with the top resting on the locks there is tension in the cable and the adjustment for the 2 cables are on the road side (left side). similar to adjustment on car's parking brake, couple of wrenches and some WD40.
I noticed on mine one of the cables was touching the hydraulic hard line, so I moved the line about an inch away from the cable, if I left it touching I am sure it would have eventually punctured the line.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
What position do you have the master switch in? It should be down.The top will not come down if you have it in the up position.
ON my 2001 towlite- the position for lowering and raising the top is the "up" position. MY general power position is DOWN. Neutral is the middle.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #33

i had to crawel under my trailer and tap lighty on the release bar and then pulled the cable after making sure the upper half was all the way up (when the pump squeals)

Forest is offline   Reply With Quote