Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Default Back up camera

I so do not want to be the one to guide my DH while he is backing the Hi Lo into the camping spot if our son-in-laws are not around. I value our 32 year marriage lol. I would like to get a reasonably priced back up camera. Does any one have suggestions? Thanks.

Kathy

zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Site Team

Kathy, while I appreciate the backup camera I've mounted on my truck - it makes backing much safer and makes hooking up to the trailer much easier, I don't think a backup camera on the trailer is much use.

I mounted one on our trailer and found it didn't really tell me what I needed to know, which is where the trailer is headed when backing. Yes, it does show if the space you're backing into is clear, sort of, but it really doesn't alert you to certain kinds of obstructions like low hanging limbs, some boulders, etc.

So, I've found I do best by getting out of the truck and inspecting the area behind the trailer, then monitoring the "angles" in the truck's mirrors while moving, and getting out frequently to check as backing progresses.

I don't use a backup camera on the trailer.

I should add that backing is a skill that improves with practice. You have to learn when to stop turning the tow vehicle to "point" the trailer and "countersteer" to "follow" the trailer.

- Jack

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #3

Yes on the truck would be where it is best utilized. I hate the hooking up part the most lol. What type camera do you have?

Kathy
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Kathy - I'm away from my house and truck for the next few days, and I can't remember the brand name. But, it's a camera in a very thin license frame that's black and attaches to the truck with tamper resistant screws.

As such, it's quite subtle and I don't worry about it attracting attention from camera thieves.

As I recall, the camera uses a CCD sensor, which is superior (supposedly) to the CMOS sensors that you find in cheaper units. I seem to remember that it cost a bit over $100 online. It came with all hardware and wiring needed to install it.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

@ Jack

I agree with you regarding the limited usefulness of the camera on the trailer for backing into campsites, but what about on the road? I had been thinking about a dual set up where I could switch to a rear mounted trailer camera for driving. I see pretty well with the mirrors and trucks are certainly visible via my rear view mirror but there are times I'm dying to get a better view of the traffic pattern directly behind me especially lower profile vehicles.

I'm planning to get one for the truck just for general use as I cannot see many cars directly behind me in everyday driving due to the raised end on this new truck. Not to mention, of course, hooking up the trailer. Etrailer has one and a video for installation for my specific truck model and year. Hard to beat that for dyi. however, I would need a second camera for the trailer and cable and, I assume, a switching mechanism of some sort.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Hi Rick -

I've thought about doing this too (rear view on the road that is). I'd have to switch the power supply from the backup circuit in the truck to an "always on" circuit, so that I could receive a picture while driving forward.

As far as switching from the camera on the back of the truck to the one on the back of the trailer, I just used a quick disconnect in the camera line at the back of the truck. I then plugged the camera feed into an extension cord that went to the camera on the back of the trailer. My thinking here was that as long as the trailer was connected, there was no reason whatever to have any input from the truck's camera. If the trailer was disconnected, then the trailer camera was of no use.

I ultimately decided that the wide angle rear view from the camera would be of limited use to me while driving. It's fairly hard to judge distance with that picture, and I felt I'd be more at risk trying to interpret that view in traffic than I was just using the mirrors and giving myself enough clearance in front that I wouldn't have to make panic stops. This is true for me if I'm towing or not. And, I have somewhat limited vision out the back too, due to the tailgate on the truck and a bed cap.

I DO like the rear camera view while backing up, especially in parking lots.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has opted for a rear view camera picture while driving. How is it? Do you feel you have better "situational awareness"?

Edit: I just looked online and it appears the prices for these things have come down a lot since I got mine about two-three years ago. I imagine this is reflecting the fact that backup cameras are becoming common on new cars and will be required by 2018. When I got mine, everything I read advised against the "wireless" kind, so I ran a wire from the dash to the back of my truck. My screen is a 7" diagonal LCD screen in a Kenwood head unit that I put into the truck to replace the factory radio.

- Jack
Old 05-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Default cameras

I am thinking of installing this camera on my trailer. The reviews have been helpful

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AQDJLM/...I10RF039QWM0DG
Linda Cowser

9219 Towlite
2202 TD
10 Exe TV
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Looks like it should work fine, Linda. The included cables look long enough to me too. Any excess length can be taken up by just coiling the cable at one end or the other.

- Jack
Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #9

I have had this system on my Hi-Lo for over 6 years and have had no problems with it. However, you should be aware of the extra effort needed to install it in your trailer. In order to accommodate the raising and lowering of the trailer, you need to bring the camera wires into the upper half of the trailer, then down through the wire sleeve to the lower half, then follow the frame forward to the front of the trailer. I found this needed an extension wire available from RVS.Inc. They were very easy to deal with for any extra parts that I needed.

As mentioned by others, this system does help keeping track of traffic behind you. It also does help when backing, but doesn't replace a spotter. The built in microphone does help the spotter,(my wife) get her directions to me when backing into a tight area.
rogerssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Team

zookeeper - I've gotten home now and figured out my backup camera is a Boyo license plate frame camera. It looks very much like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTL375-Ul...xp_grid_pt_0_1

It does not have "distance lines", which would be useful, but cost more. There's at least one from Boyo that has these though:Amazon.com : BOYO VTL375HDL Multi-View License Plate Camera (Black) : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

You'll notice on the pictures, that it's slim enough that it does not obscure the state name at the top of the plate. Here in Arizona, that part has to be visible or you can get ticketed. (The cops evidently don't recognize our State's plates on sight.)

- Jack