Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #1

Default Bike carrier

Curious to find out if anyone has seen or has one of these racks or a homemade version of it on a Hilo? It seems like a really good option, I'd appreciate some input. Anybody see any real issues with it?

<http://prorac.com/tenttrailerpro.php>

skibum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Have not seen one of them. I like the fact that they mount on the front of the trailer and that the bikes are aligned with the direction of travel rather than sideways.

But, Hi-Los are taller than tent trailers, 6 ft high in the traveling position so the upright part of the rack would have to be longer, making it less rigid. It would be harder to mount your bikes on the rack due to the height - probably would need a step ladder. And, you would now have a higher clearance problem with the bikes on. Possibly would mean you would need to have 10 ft clearance above the roadway to avoid hitting the bikes on something.

I'm not convinced they would work well on Hi-Los.

- Jack

Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

Default Bike Racks

I have used a Swagman RV Bumper bike rack for 8 yrs and it has been very reliable and strong. It can carry 4 bikes, (I have carried 5).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo_bike_rack_2.jpg (84.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by welmore View Post
I have used a Swagman RV Bumper bike rack for 8 yrs and it has been very reliable and strong. It can carry 4 bikes, (I have carried 5).
The important part of having a rear mounted bike rack is how well it can be mounted to the trailer. I assume you took care of that problem.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #5

Default Bike Racks

Yes, the racks bolt up to the 4in bumper. The issue is defining how wide you would like the two separate parts to accomodate the average size of your bikes. The fiberglass cover is cut to access the bumper.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum75 View Post
Curious to find out if anyone has seen or has one of these racks or a homemade version of it on a Hilo? It seems like a really good option, I'd appreciate some input. Anybody see any real issues with it?

<http://prorac.com/tenttrailerpro.php>
The Prorac will probably work but the uprights may not be tall enough to clear the Hi-Lo. As Jack said, you will need a ladder to load the bikes.

If you use a load distributing hitch, the upright brackets may interfere with the LDH snap-up brackets. On a Hi-Lo you are limited to how far back on the A-frame you can mount anything because of clearance issues with the upper body. I would do some careful measuring before buying this unit.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TooLong

Did this require drilling holes in the steel portion of the bumper? Just 2 bolts would hold it on?
Old 02-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #8

Default Bike Racks

No, drilling the bumper wasn't required. The picture shows the mount of one of two parts to install on the bumper. This part is one piece and the mounting bolts are separated by the distance of the 4in bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bumper_mounts_1.jpg (48.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #9

Default Thanks for all the great feedback

Excellent feedback from everyone. I've got a lot to take into consideration. I do know that I wouldn't be buying a Prorac. If I chose that style, design and build my on with a similar design and extra strength and support. I live in Utah, and spend a lot of time in the mountains and desert. Because of the terrain, I really wanted to avoid mounting on the rear and extending my length any more than it already is (24ft). I can see myself bottoming out a bike rack that extends an extra ~3ft past the bumper. The added height is definitely a valid concern. Both for loading and unloading, as well clearance. Another option I've been tossing around is to fabricate a beefy receiver, mount it solid to the frame and tuck it tight under the bumper. The idea then is to fabricate a mount that would raise the ride height of the rack about 18" above the height of the rear bumper. I'm grateful for all the feedback, keep it coming. Regardless, I'll share pictures of my end product.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Team

How many bikes are you planning to take with you?

If it's only two, the kind I put on my trailer (bought it at Camping World) would work fine. I have a link to it in this thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...ike-rack-3230/ Post #4.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
How many bikes are you planning to take with you?

If it's only two, the kind I put on my trailer (bought it at Camping World) would work fine. I have a link to it in this thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...ike-rack-3230/ Post #4.

- Jack
Thanks for the follow up and recommendation Jack. I'll be traveling with 2 full size bikes (29" and 26" wheels) and 2 kids bikes (18" and 12" wheels). I love the hitch modification that Steve (SKMWALDEN) made to his gorgeous 2708T. I'm leaning toward a very similar modification to carry my bike rack (Thule T2 - Thule)

2004 24T Towlite
2006 Toyota Sequoia
Old 03-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

If it's not too late to post a reply you might want to look at my install and photos I posted in March of 2014. I have since removed the spare tire and mounting hardware and am installing a BAL Hide A Spare forward of the entry steps. This should help to counter the added 2 bike rack on the rear.
Hope this helps
gmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #13

Default New Bike Rack Design

Here is a new design on a bike rack, there is also a version with a cargo tray. It may work for some of us. The bike rack version is made with a 2" receiver to accept a standard bike rack. etrailer is selling them.

Stromberg Carlson Bike Bunk Trailer Bike Rack Review Video | etrailer.com

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote