Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #21
Site Team

Thanks. I'm having no problems so far. But, we rarely take our bikes with us when we go camping. We much prefer hiking.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #22

Default Bike bumper rack

I have used the Swagman 4 bike carrier for quite a few years. I love it, and I can support my own weight on it to access the rear roof and lights. I have carried 4 bikes also. I have seen the kit sold for as low as $125. Depends on sales I suppose. I have included a photo. Welmore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130427_135639.jpg (96.0 KB, 64 views)

Old 10-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It's in addition to the bumper spare tire. The rack attaches "around" the bumper. No drilling of the bumper is required. I carried two mountain bikes on it with no difficulty and drove over a VERY rough dirt road (about 10 miles worth) on our first trip with the bikes.

This is the kind I have: RV Bumper 2 Bike Rack for Around the Spare Tire - Swagman Around the Spare Mighty Rack Swagman RV and Motorhome Bike Racks S80500 I had to cut slots in the aluminum lid that folds down over the storage area in front of the bumper so that it would close over the attachment u-bolts, but other than that, installation was simple.

- Jack
When I bought my 2705T it had a bike rack with the slots cut as you describe. as I was waxing the rear cap I noticed that 2 places are wearing and dented where cap touches the bike rack support when the top is lowered. Would that eventually crack the cap....?i noticed a rubber spacer on the underside of the cap which takes a little pressure off of the end cap. Any help? Joe
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Site Team

Joe, I can't answer your question because my bike rack does not in any way touch the top of the camper (its back cap) at any time.

In reading your post carefully, it sounds like the cap is actually resting on the back bumper? (Or so close to it that it is hitting the U-bolts that hold the bike rack on?) If this is the case, it sounds like you could be missing hard rubber pads on the "outriggers" that support the top when it is lowered. I think they could "rot" off. I replaced two of mine that were not set properly with a hockey puck that I cut in half, to reduce its thickness by half. The resulting thickness was just a bit more than the original pads and they provide a wider contact surface. They seem to be holding up well.

- Jack
Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The screws that hold the rubber pads on the outer supports do rust off, I have had 3 come off on my 2209. I didn't lose them. Also they used 2 rubber pads in some places to level up and make the support even. I used stainless screws on the ones that I put back on, also filled in the hole that the screw head creates when tightened with black silicon.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #26

Smile End Cap Rubbing onBike Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
The screws that hold the rubber pads on the outer supports do rust off, I have had 3 come off on my 2209. I didn't lose them. Also they used 2 rubber pads in some places to level up and make the support even. I used stainless screws on the ones that I put back on, also filled in the hole that the screw head creates when tightened with black silicon.
I noticed there are 5 outriggers with square pads and and 2 additional rectangular pads on the back cap resting on the bumper. Can I just double the pads at all locations? That would take all pressure off the end cap where it touches the bike rack. Any reason not to do this? Joe
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Site Team

I can't think of a single problem doing what you suggest, Joe. I actually added a "spacer" between the rubber pads on the top half and the frame at the rear end to lift it slightly when towing. I did this because inside the trailer, a small section of the top frame was rubbing on the back of the counter next to the sink. This lifted the back about 3/8", and caused no difficulties.

- Jack
Old 05-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #28

Question Cargo Carrier Attached To Rear 4x4 Bumper

I have been wondering about attaching a cargo carrier to the rear bumper via a 2x2 receiver I would either clamp on the bumper or have welded to the bumper. I have a spare tire attached to the rear bumper with welded connections. Reading some posts on this forum, I find discussion about bike racks and that some would be cautious about welding to the bumper. I would plan on carrying a Honda Generator and a BBQ grill in the carrier. Am I being unrealistic?
Davereilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #29

This is probably the best solution, assuming that it can mount to the frame satisfactorily.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Hitch/Curt/C13701.html
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #30

I read all the posts and thus is what I came up with. All the measurements I should have enough clearance.
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM   #31

Two weeks ago week we looked at a 29' that had reinforced the square tube bumper with 4 aluminum angle pieces about 4' long. Each was placed on the outside corner of the bumper. They were held in place only by the receiver mounting bolts.like the Curt or U haul style receivers. There was no spare on the rear bumper. I didn't look real close at it as I lost interest in that unit by the time I got back there.

Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote