Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Default camp finder

Has anyone used the "camp finder" app for smart phones to find camping spots.
It has great reviews.

Always a pain to pull out the massive books to try and find somewhere to camp while driving in the dark.

We are preparing for a 3 month travel "about" in the western US this year.
And for $2.99 not a deal breaker!

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

This is what we do when traveling. Get a Wal Mart atlas, it lists all the Wal Marts and they are great for over night stays and free. They are easy to find and address is given, almost always within 2 miles of a major highway. One night only, always ask if it is ok as some towns have an ordinance against it also ask where they would like you to park. We always use Super Wal Marts as they are open all night and many have guards driving around all night. We are fully self contained including generator, but we used them before that also, then stay in a camp ground every couple of days, to get showers, dump the tanks and get water.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
It has great reviews.

Always a pain to pull out the massive books to try and find somewhere to camp while driving in the dark.

steve
I have used the Camp Finder app with my Kindle tablet and it works pretty well. If you are a Good Sam Club member you can use a web-based app that shows the campgrounds along an intended route. I usually print the output of this program and take it with me.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

I noticed very recently that my Wally World has posted a sign, No Overnights.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

I too have done the overnight in a wally world lot.
It has good reviews on Amazon and travel sites.
And for $3 it is accurate. Sounds reasonable to me.
No affiliation or ad.

steve
kd7ctk
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

My oldest son is a professional freestyle motocross rider and in the summer season the HUGE rig is on the road for most of 5 months. They stay at wally worlds most of the nights they have a layover and never had a problem.
Rick
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
sam

Default campsites out west

I've read articles about boondocking places that are more readily available in the western part of the US. Do an internet search for this.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #8

Quote:
It has great reviews.

steve
Be sure to put the HiLo rally in Colorado Springs in June on your list.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
It has great reviews.

steve
Steve - if you are headed to Utah and interested in boondocking I would be glad to share some places I have found. There are also Utah State parks near most of the national parks that have nice facilities and are cheaper and less crowded.
Ralph
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #10

Default after more research

after more research It think that I have found the app we will use on our trip.

allstays.com

costs $10 bucks and has over 25k listed camp grounds and rv parks.
This seems to have BLM, all Natl/state parks. But will also have the books for use also. Several different dwnlds depending on your type of camping or interests.

Ralph I would love some Utah input. My wife has RA and does no hiking, but doesn't complain that I do.
I have been to Bryce and Zion, and hangliding in Hurricane. We would like to go to the goblin park, arches, grand canyon and several others in southern Utah during the first 2 weeks of our trip.
Rolff:
Having someone that knows just where the easiest and best place to camp is very useful info, and I would appreciate the info very much..thanks. PM me!

I am never set in where or when, but like the general direction to be intelligent and circuitous.

I will start a new post next month for my forum friends suggestions for my trip. I am a big fan of out of the way, but easy access. Low cost, I am cheap. Friendly and clean. And the most important, good camping and visual attraction( photography)!

Everyone should have a smile on their face since this is one day past the shortest sunlight day of the year and it only gets better from here.

CAMP ON!!!!

steve
kd7ctk
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Quote:

allstays.com

This seems to have BLM, all Natl/state parks. But will also have the books for use also. Several different dwnlds depending on your type of camping or interests.

Ralph I would love some Utah input. My wife has RA and does no hiking, but doesn't complain that I do.
I have been to Bryce and Zion, and hangliding in Hurricane. We would like to go to the goblin park, arches, grand canyon and several others in southern Utah during the first 2 weeks of our trip.
Rolff:
Having someone that knows just where the easiest and best place to camp is very useful info, and I would appreciate the info very much..thanks. PM me!

I am never set in where or when, but like the general direction to be intelligent and circuitous.

I will start a new post next month for my forum friends suggestions for my trip. I am a big fan of out of the way, but easy access. Low cost, I am cheap. Friendly and clean. And the most important, good camping and visual attraction( photography)!

Everyone should have a smile on their face since this is one day past the shortest sunlight day of the year and it only gets better from here.

CAMP ON!!!!

steve
Arches National Park is a great place for hiking. Just be sure to get there early or you may find no site available. I, like you had to hike alone when we were there and now it would be tough for me. Grand Canyon is great also. You can't drive the south side any more but they run busses. If you want to camp in the National Camp ground same applies get there early. There is a private camp ground in the same area but it is expensive.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #12

Glad to put in my 2 cents worth. I'll get back to you here after Christmas. It is best if you are flexible. We camped outside of Arches once and I almost drove over 6 foot deep wash created by a flash flood. Damn near spill my beer. Kidding.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Quote:

allstays.com

Rolff:

CAMP ON!!!!

steve
For anyone coming thru Utah I would recommend Scenic byway 12. It is a beautiful drive between Bryce Canyon NP and Capitol Reef NP. It goes thru incredible red rock canyons and over scenic spots like Hell's backbone (I once drove it behind a motor home from Missouri they slowed to a crawl since it is only about 60 ft wide with cliffs on either side.) past many spots worth stopping and investigating, the Burr trail, Calf Creek Falls at the north end it climbs over Boulder Mountain the bottom half of an exploded volcano that is 11,000 feet and has Ponderosa pines a lakes for fishing. At the north end is Capitol Reef National Park. It's often overlooked so it is not as crowded. The campground at Fruita is beautiful. Along the river it has orchards planted by the pioneers 140 years ago. In the fall you can pick all the apples you want and the deer are all fat and happy wandering nearby.

Highway 12 Scenic Byway | Utah.com
Old 01-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Site Team

I THINK you can reserve a campsite in Arches - we did a few years ago. It's all dry camping, but very convenient.

The north side of the Grand Canyon has a Forest Service campground that's about 20 miles from the rim that is very nice. There are also other, more primitive sites available in the area. The north side is so much less crowded, that it's worth a visit.

You can also reserve an electrical hookup site in Zion.

Bryce has lots of camping sites and great hiking, but as I recall, they cannot be reserved.

- Jack