Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Couch Tip Out Problem

So I didn't dig too much into the issue as we were packing up to come home but the couch tipout mechanism is stuck between the stop positions. This happened once before and I don't remember what I did to fix it. It won't extend the strap all the way to fully tip out or in. Thinking maybe it wound wring...? So I just unbolted the strap for now and manually closed it. Will look at it tonight but any insight as to what the issue may be before hand may help. Thanks!

amountaincreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:05 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

Did you reverse direction on the winch once the strap is out all the way, then help the couch over top dead center and reverse the direction of the winch until the couch is tipped all the way out? Do that in reverse to bring the tip-out in.

Watch video #6 on this video manual thread:
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Hey RichR, the winch won't fully extend the strap out in either direction so it was basically stuck half in and half out. Kinda why I'm thinking I must have winched it in backwards, if that's possible.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

Do you have the powerwinch manual? Does the winch motor run when you move the tipout switch to the up or down position? If not you may not have power to the winch. The power to the tipout on my HiLo comes off of the positive battery post thru two 25 amp circuit breakers connected in series. If one of these is bad you would have no power to the tipout. Tipout switch could be bad. Bad ground from the winch motor to the frame. On my tipout the switch disk that activates the upper and lower limit switches on the winch has stripped out and stuck in a position that will only raise the tipout partway in either direction. I then manually move the tipout overcenter until the strap is tight and then the motor will extend the tipout to the full out or in position. The manuals on my powerwinch show it is a product of Carefree of Colorado. The part number of my winch is P30300. I am going to call Carefree for info on this problem and for the part to fix it. Hope this helps. Get back here if you need more info.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #5

Hey Jim, yes I have power to the winch, it is winching, it just won't let the strap out all the way to fully tip out or pull in. Why I'm thinking I must have wound it the wrong way not paying attention....
Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amountaincreeker View Post
Hey Jim, yes I have power to the winch, it is winching, it just won't let the strap out all the way to fully tip out or pull in. Why I'm thinking I must have wound it the wrong way not paying attention....
After unbolting the strap, utilizing the two way switch, did you try pulling the strap all the way out or reversing it to see if it would rewind to the closed position? You could also take apart the motor housing and inspect the motor and gears. A smail nail gun is useful when putting the motor housing back together.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #7

Hey Gary, yeah that's my plan. I didn't mess around with it at the campground cuz I wanted to hit the road and get home.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

My guess now is that you have the winch system, strap, limit switches and switch plate completely out of adjustment since you said you had disconnected the strap. You will need the owners manual to set this back up. I cannot answer to the strap maybe being wound wrong. Go to powerwinch.com or to the carefree of Colorado web site to see if you can find the owners manual and download it. If you can't find it call either and see if they can send you a copy. There is a way to manually raise or lower the tipout if you lose power. Remove the cover from the winch unit. On the winch motor shaft there is a hex bolt head. Use a 7/16" socket and ratchet to turn the shaft, clockwise to raise the tipout and counterclockwise to lower. However if the switchplate is out of adjuctment you could drive the switchplate to one of its limits against a limit switch and if you continue to turn the motor shaft you will destroy the switch plate or the worm gear that drives it. You need the owners manual.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

So I figured out the problem was what I suspected...I wound the winch up bassackwards...must not have been paying attention. Just ended up taking off the wood panel cover and unwound the strap manually. Figured out the right length needed for the stopping point to be correct and we're good to go.