Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Default Do bugs get in through the telescoping joint?

This is something I've wondered about due to the design of the telescoping trailer:

Are there issues with bugs able to get into the trailer via the gap around the trailer between the upper and lower halves due to the telescoping mechanism? I've wondered about that because all it would seem to take would be a small gap in a rubber gasket for mosquitoes to find their way in.

mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

We have had a Hi-Lo for five years and we haven't noticed anything getting in that way. The seal between the upper and lower halves works pretty well. There are probably more bugs that get in when opening the door.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

That is good to know. The reason I wonder about this is that the gap is all the way around, and to my knowledge, all it takes is for one small gap in the gasket and mosquitoes and other nasties will have their ticket in for free meals.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #4

If the top is in good adjustment the seal should work plenty well. We have never had a problem.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Default Bugs in the trailer

Insects comming in between the upper and lower section's are rare, and usuly caused by not keeping up the maintanace of ajusting cables. I find the worst problems of bugs come from the porch light so close to the entry door. We try not to use the porch light to often. Using awning lights work better as the bugs are not right by the door. Aints are a bigger problem than flying bugs. In Louisiana we know going in we need to spray for aints and bugs of all kinds, our mosquitos are so large we refer to them as our state bird. I find if you keep a fan running under the awning, blowing down the trailer side will keeps all bugs away from the door and helps keep misquitos out of the trailer.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #6

Default ants ants ants..

The only problem that I've had was ants. Be sure to scout your camping spot and carry some ant poison to spread around your tires, jacks and front tongue of trailer. Wasp spray is good to carry also; the vents on any rv are great places for wasps to build nests. I've had those too. It took me a week to get rid of the ants and that was just one night while traveling between Tenn. and Florida on Interstate 75.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #7

for ants I recommend Terro ant baits they have a liquid in them that the ants love and will take it to the nest then no ants. Works great at home and I'm sure it would in a Hi Lo

Harry
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Default Asian Lady Bugs

These lady bugs get inside through the small gaps in the top roof seal, the tip out gaskets and by the glides. They get in by the hundreds. The internet is loaded with information. Look under Asian lady beetles. They get into homes as well and get through gaps as small as 1/16".

They are a nuisance in September and October when the weather is warm. They swarm on to light sides of the trailer and crawl right in. Had to use a vacuum cleaner all weekend to keep them under control. Tried to plug the glide gaps with paper from the inside and it helped a little.

Does anyone have other suggestions. There are no known predators and so they just multiply.
pcandella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #9

Talking

I guess you could use a couple bug bombs like i did that stopped everything

PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote