Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Default Do I have Grey/Black water holding tanks?

I recently purchased a 1981 hi lo and have a few questions...

So I began by sanitizing the fresh water tank and running the water. Well the drain in the bathroom starts backing up. So I look underneath, I see no holding tanks and so I pull the release switch to let the water run out... It looks like to me the gray and black water both drain to the same line. Just seems odd to me.

Coblehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #2

My 1981 Fun Chaser has both and they have separate dump valves and Y into the same dump hose.
They "should" be visible underneath. If not my guess is they broke and owner removed them.

Rick

slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coblehagen View Post
I recently purchased a 1981 hi lo and have a few questions...

So I began by sanitizing the fresh water tank and running the water. Well the drain in the bathroom starts backing up. So I look underneath, I see no holding tanks and so I pull the release switch to let the water run out... It looks like to me the gray and black water both drain to the same line. Just seems odd to me.
If you need new tanks J&R has a large supply of them at their shop. Look here on the forum for their ph#.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
My 1981 Fun Chaser has both and they have separate dump valves and Y into the same dump hose.
They "should" be visible underneath. If not my guess is they broke and owner removed them.

Rick
I only have one dump valve. When I release it dumps both grey and black water.
Coblehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coblehagen View Post
I only have one dump valve. When I release it dumps both grey and black water.
If the tanks were removed, they probably also removed the grey water dump valve (it's a small handle on the opposite side of the drain pipe from the large black water drain handle). But, both valves, when installed empty into a common drain pipe (that normally has a cap).

I think it's sad that the prior owners did not tell you that the tanks were removed. That's almost like selling a house and concealing the fact that there's no working bathroom. I hope you got a good price for the trailer.

I imagine tank replacement is a possible DIY project, but access to the area is difficult, since the trailer sits low to the ground.

- Jack