Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Do U/Live near Lockbourne Ohio?

I have been in touch with Greenlawn RV located on Duval Rd., Lockbourne, Ohio. They have a 2004 17T for sale that I can finally afford. I spoke to Steve who is the manager of the place and told him it will take me 8 hours straight driving to get there to even see this unit. He asked if I had anybody out that way that could look at it and then if I was still interested I could head out. I have no one that lives in that area and wondering if any of you live very close so it won't be an inconvenience to look it over. I will then go out there and check it myself, but am 99% sure I will buy it, but have to stay at a motel at least two nights. One when I get in, one day to learn everything about the trailer, and then head home early the following day. Please let me know, I can reimburse you for gas and some of your time, if you have it. Janice Gealey , Toms River, NJ

Janice Gealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Janice,

I went to that dealer's website and saw the pictures of that unit. Picture #9 shows a brown stain going across the ceiling in front of the a/c. This is a "red flag" to me. In my opinion, it is a sign of a roof water leak.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

Default Do U/Live near Lockbourne?

I had asked Steve the manager about that when I first saw it and he said he didn't know what it was. He said it wasn't a leak but I was very concerned. He said the people were the original owners and they traded it in for a larger rv to use with there grandchildren. Janice
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
sam

Default 17T HiLo

Janice, I also went on the website and saw the brown stain above the AC. If it was simply a dirt streak then the dealer would have washed it off!! We don't want you to get burned. New roofs cost between $4000.00 and $6000.00 depending on what material is used. Retired camper is very experienced and so am I. Run away from this deal!! If a salesman has his lips moving he is lying. Tell the salesman you will take the trailer with a new roof put on by JR in OHIO. Make them trans port the trailer to JR for a complete inspection at dealer expense. We want your HiLo ownership to be a good experience. I know this is disappointing. The right HiLo for you will come along. Let us know how it all turns out.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #5

Default Do U/Live near Lockbourne Ohio

when I spoke to Steve earlier today at the Rv store h he gave me the name of the former owners. I was wondering if Colombus Jerry has sold his camper to an RV place after having It on the forum. But it was different people and I have just now looked them up and have a phone number. I am going to call them tomorrow morning as ask questions. That is if they will talk to me. I have to know what that stain is because I did look up roofs in the Camping World catalogue. Expensive and I am just getting $6,000 to $7,000 together by the skin of my teeth. I saw another 2004 in Sinclairsville, NY he had it hat $7,000 and dropped it to $6,500 private owner. This unit looks very good also. I hope they don't mad about me calling but I can't replace anything to begin with. I have to get a few real estate sales in the drawer and pray they close then I can spend some money on this. Also I am going to try and take my two cats, one is 3 years old the 9ther 13 what do you think? Janice
Old 11-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
sam

Default Replacing roof

Roof prices vary depending on the length of the trailer. Roofs on Hilos are rubber or metal. You could have interior roof damage as well as exterior roof damage. The inside metal roof supports could be broken. You won't know the extent of damage until you rip it apart. I would hate for you to drive all this way and not have it workout. Know your RV prices. www.NADA guides.com
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

I looked at the stain also and it looks like a stain that showed up on my ceiling 2 or 3 years ago. It was yellow in color with very distinct edges, not blending from dark to light as a water stain does. I thought it was a glue residue that had bled thru the ceiling panel. I was able to clean this off with a rag with paint thinner or MEK on it. With work it came clean. There were no soft spots in the ceiling and no signs of water leaks on the inside or on the roof. I never thought this stain was a water stain. I have put around 40,000 miles on my HiLo and the stain has not come back. The HiLo you are looking at looks nice but you can only tell so much by pictures. I wonder how far they are from J&R. Might have them inspect it. The other posts about damage from water leaks are real so it would need to be inspected by someone who knows HiLos. I live in VA and found my HiLo on craigs list the day it was posted and drove to Cape Cod the next day to inspect it and bought it home. Love it. Good luck with your search
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #8

Smile Do/U live near Lockbourne Ohio

Spoke to Steve again and he gave me the name and phone number of the former owners. I called them and left a message for them to call me. As soon as I hear something I will post there answers. Thanks to all of you. Janice
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
sam

Default 17t possible buy

Janice, Just a thought. I hope it just turns out to be a weird stain that can be cleaned. Bring paint thinner with you!!. Do a search for HiLos for sale and see if you can bring up the posts about the HiLo for sale in Sinclairsville,NY. Seems to me he had a problem with the lift cables and someone advised him to take it to the HiLo dealer in Pennsylvania. Make sure this is fixed before you consider even looking at this unit. Ask anyone that lives close if they would be willing to check it out for you. Private buyers are usually cheaper. Don't forget to budget $ for dealer prep,taxes,registration and plates. What is your tow vehicle?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

Red face Do U/Live Near Lockbourne, Ohio

The one in NY Sinclairsville has been sold, was just posted yesterday. The manager of Greenlawn gave me the name and phone number of the prior owners and I called that number earlier today. Still have not had a reply, but will try tomorrow and Sunday. The one at Avalon in Medina, Ohio at $9,975 is probably the best buy but he is about $1,500 over the book value. I asked him if he would take my pop up in for trade, he could always sell it for over $1,500 what he'll give me but he said no. If I bought this one, I have to pay back almost $10,000 plus the new car payment. I bought a 2013 Hyundi Santa Fe that can tow 5,000 weight. I was in a car accident in March and they fixed my 2004 Santa Fe but it didn't run right and it cost me $1,599 by the time it was ready and I paid the deductible. Then they wanted another $1,200 to put in spark plugs, plus two other items, and I said no. I will let you know what happens and thanks about the paint thinner, I am sure I have some in the garage and if I do go out there I will take it with me. Janice
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #11

Nice trailer,just looked at it on the dealers web site. If I were you I would buy this trailer now. These trailers sale fast. The stain on the ceiling is glue residue that happiened at the factory when the trailer was built and not water damage, I also have some on my ceiling but not as bad. When the factory was building the upper section this is where the supports where placed. Dont use paint thinner you will damage the finish on the ceiling. I would wait till you got home to try some different cleaners to remove the glue. Start with Goo Gone, it's citrus based. Because the glue has been on there for many years it's hardened a may not come off. There's no structual problem with this stain. If the glue can't be removed you could touch it up with some white paint and a very small painter's brush. Hope this helps.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #12

Default Stain

Janice,
I purchased a used 2805C (that was manufactured in 2004) in 2007. It had a similar stain on the bed room ceiling. It looks like glue to me. I do not believe mine is water stain since I've owned the Hi Lo for over 5 years now. The stain does not look like a water stain nor has it grown or changed in size. We haven't bothered to remove it as it is not big or unsightly.
The Hi Lo looks in great condition and I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #13

Default Stain

You can use Kilz to cover the stain IF you want to! Joe
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I have the same glue stain. I just live with it.

Another place to hunt for Hi-Lo's:

Hi Lo RVs & Motorhomes for Sale | Used Motorhomes & RVs on Oodle Marketplace

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote