Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Default door

looking to buy a hilo---this may sound dumb---but when the top is down--how hard is to get into the two half doors or is this possible?? too many break ins at our duck club so I'm trying to deter the lowlife thieves (they pry the door open to get in)!! thanks

sprigkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
sam

Default HiLo theif proof

I have a 1990 Classic. When the trailer is in the down position my deadbolt and round hole lock are on. They would have to work at the locks or drill them out to get in. Don't store your HiLo with the battery in it. Say for the sake of discussion they did break in they would have to crawl in and it would be somewhat uncomfortable to unhook the stereo or fool with other things inside. The outside hatches could be opened and copper cord cut for electric could be cut. Store the HiLo up on blocks to prevent tire theft. Leave your propane tanks off. Nothing is perfect just less attractive when the HiLo is in the down position. You always want to store it in the down position. I hope this answers your question. Such a shame you don't have a better place to store it. One time kids were throwing rocks at my HiLo as we store it away from our house. The neighbor saw them and gave them a stern lecture and said she would call the police. Never had trouble again.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
sam

Default Theif proof

Without the battery they would be unable to activate the lift switch to raise the HiLo up. You could hook up cables to your tow vehicle and get it to raise up. The more time they have to fool it should deter them somewhat.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

hey thanks!!! it would only be there for about three months--good to know they can't get open the door with the top down!!!
sprigkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
sam

Default Door open with topdown

It is not 100% guaranted that they couldn;t break in the door with the top down. They just would have to spend time destroying the trailer.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprigkiller View Post
hey thanks!!! it would only be there for about three months--good to know they can't get open the door with the top down!!!
That's not true. You have to be able to open the door in order to raise the top. It is no harder to unlock/break the lock on the door with the top down or up. The only thing having the top down does is it forces you to crawl around inside if you DO get in.

The door locks on the HiLo are relatively simple and probably easily broken into or picked. And, someone with a pry bar could probably break into the door using it too.

You've had good advice regarding removal of the battery, propane tanks, tires and wheels (including spare) and any other item of value from the outside or inside of the trailer.

- Jack
Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
That's not true. You have to be able to open the door in order to raise the top. It is no harder to unlock/break the lock on the door with the top down or up. The only thing having the top down does is it forces you to crawl around inside if you DO get in.

The door locks on the HiLo are relatively simple and probably easily broken into or picked. And, someone with a pry bar could probably break into the door using it too.

You've had good advice regarding removal of the battery, propane tanks, tires and wheels (including spare) and any other item of value from the outside or inside of the trailer.

- Jack
Well said, Jack. If you have a tip out, it also makes it harder to crawl around on the inside.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Team

That's true "Ruben" ! Makes the lower cabinets inaccessible as well as getting the refrigerator removed. At least in mine. I also replaced the tip out locks with up graded ones. Make it as difficult for them as you can - hopefully insurance will cover any losses. Pretty bad that people have to damage RVs to get what they want.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
sam

Default Door on the HiLo

DH worked with one guy that said"If you have something in your house that I want I will come and take it" Like Jack said nothing is all the way burglar proof. They will destroy your door and crawl in thinking you must have tvs,stereos and other items of value.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #10

I am making a half inch x cable with 4 padlocks, with large eye bolts thru the alum door frames. bolted on inside. that's what I came up with to give em a hassle they will want to leave. LOL look at top of my door left side. those are going on all 4 corners. may not help but sure cant hurt. when I found it it wasn't locked and I climbed right inside thru the bottom door. going to chain my generator to back of the inside of the truck bed with 1" chainv and the cut proof (yeh Rite padlocks) and make a pipe vent out the side of the bed if truck. so with the top on and back door shut should be kinda quiet.
it is already < than 68 decibels which I was told is kinda quiet. its a 4500 surge 3250 continuous. it runs strictly off propane, I am running the propane for it I from inside the camper to the truck. and hook it up when needed. I recently got a free 2 into 1 regulator. I have 2 twenty lb tanks, and both adapters to refill small 1 lbers. or use 1 lbers on anything with a big regulator. and vice versa that I need in an emergency..

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote