Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Fan Noise

We have a 2003 17' Towlite Hi-Lo. Maybe the noise I'm hearing is normal, but I'd thought I'd ask anyone out there in case it's not. When I'm plugged into 120 power, and we are reading using overhead lights, a fan comes on briefly down below the circuit breakers. I'm assuming this is a cooling fan connected to the charging system since these are 12V lights we have on. The fans come on for only a couple of seconds and only intermitttently. It sort of drives you crazy after awhile. I checked the breakers and the fourth one down (15 Amp breaker) shuts this fan off completely, but it's unknown what else this breaker controls.
Is this a normal cooling fan?

TX Paul

Retired2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

What you are hearing is the internal fan in the power inverter. The 120v shore power goes into the inverter and 12v dc power comes out. While doing this the unit gets warm. The fan helps to cool the inverter. Make sure you do not have anything stored against the unit. It needs to "breathe".

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #3

Bob,

Ya, that's what I thought it was. Thanks for the rapid response.

On one other note, would you know whether my particular model has an electric start gas water heater?

Paul
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

Paul,

Do you have a switch on your control panel marked "DSI" ? If so, that is the switch that controls the electric for the water tank. Do you have the manual for the tank? If not, go online to the mfg (probably Atwood) and check there. Model # will be found behind the exterior water tank door.

Bob
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
What you are hearing is the internal fan in the power inverter. The 120v shore power goes into the inverter and 12v dc power comes out. While doing this the unit gets warm. The fan helps to cool the inverter. Make sure you do not have anything stored against the unit. It needs to "breathe".

Bob
Not to appear as a smartypants, but that is the power converter not the inverter. Inverters are for converting 12 volts to 120 volts.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #6

Bob,
Thanks for the information! We just bought the unit back in March and have made several trips with it, but wasn't sure about either issue. The model # on the water heater is G6A-7; and I looked under the couch and don't see any Romex going into the heater. So, I have to assume its propane only. This also explains breaker #6 listed as
(optional water heater).
One more ??? We leave our Hi-Lo under a covered carport to protect it from water intrusion and sun. We like to leave it in the up position. How critical is it to block it up with 2 X 4s when left in the up position??
Again thanks for your help!

Paul
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

you don't need to add 2x4 for normal up position.
If leaving up and in the locked position, no other means of support is necessary!

You do need to block in the up position if removing lift wire/s, or hydraulics.

hth

steve
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

Thanks for the clarification Rich. I knew better than that but sometimes I have senior moments

Paul,

There are aftermarket kits to add electrical to your gas only hot water tank. A heating element goes into the tank drain hole. Only bad thing is that you have to remove the element to drain the tank. Installation is quite easy. The kits run about $85 to $100 (I think). One brand is called "Hott Rod". I did this modification to my first HiLo. With this installed, you can still use the propane to heat the water if you are not plugged into electric.

Bob
Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #9

Steve,
Gotcha on the 2X4s. By the way while measuring for 2X4 supports (thinking I might need them for additional support while leaving the trailer in the UP position) I noticed the front of the trialer was about 1/2 inch lower then the back and one side was off from the other. I got under the trailer and started readjusting (tightning the bolts) as recommeneded in the manual. I got the front leveled side to side, but no matter what I do to either the front OR back adjusting bolts, I can't seem to level the trailer front to back. In fact now the the back is at 30 3/4" and the front is at 30". I DID notice that someone must have tried to adjust he front prior to my attempt because both the bolts were adjusted out quite a bit already. Is this just do to stretch of the cable? And is 3/4of an inch acceptable? The trailer floor IS sitting on level ground .

Thanks,

Paul
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Thanks for the clarification Rich. I knew better than that but sometimes I have senior moments
Those senior moments are very contagious.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #11

Just for grins.........you might want to do a search on this forum on the topic of supporting with 2x4s. It has been a discussion here, before, and while there is agreement that nobody blocks their campers with 2x4s while going about normal camping some have argued doing so when sitting for extended periods. I can't remember how those debates ended but you might want to see if you can find them to gain some insight on the different perspectives people were coming from.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
sam

Default 2x4s for support

It is my understanding that you can leave the trailer in the up position for short periods of time. However, if you leave it up for an extended period of time then using 2x4s on the outside corners takes the strain off the lift cables. During our 6 months of renovation I stained and finished some 2x4s that we used to block the HiLo up.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote