Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #21

They state on their site that this fabric fits a Dometic A&E awning (Model 8500). Mine is 14 feet measured between the center of the rafters with the fabric being ~13'2'' wide. I will post how things develop.

Chris

czwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #22

Good idea! The reason I asked was because I was thinking that the HiLo awning rolled out width/length is different (shorter) than a standard Travel trailer awning. I hope yours fits.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
For everybody's benefit, what information did you have to give them? Trailer brand and model, old awning dimensions, etc.?
When I talked to the people at Camping World, they wanted all of the information that is on the tube. The number that ends in a .400 or something like that, is the fabric.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #24

Unfortunately, on the tube and the rafters, all markings are no longer readable. I may have to find a place to cut and re-sew the fabric in order to adjust the width...

Chris
Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #25

I remember when I replaced the fabric on our 1705T there was a tag on the fabric that I had to get numbers from when we ordered.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #26

Installed the new awning yesterday just in time for the looming hot Texas summer! Indeed, had to shorten the fabric by about a foot (the same length by which the rafters were shortened) at an upholstery place ($30). The video at nicely shows the installation process. Threading the awning through the groove at the top of the HiLo can however be done with only two people: the missing third person was a ladder with one of the two rafters duct-taped to it.

Chris
Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwieb View Post
Installed the new awning yesterday just in time for the looming hot Texas summer! Indeed, had to shorten the fabric by about a foot (the same length by which the rafters were shortened) at an upholstery place ($30). The video at nicely shows the installation process. Threading the awning through the groove at the top of the HiLo can however be done with only two people: the missing third person was a ladder with one of the two rafters duct-taped to it.

Chris
"Dometic tells me that #841 ET14.400 (tube, fabric, springs) cannot be purchased retail and one must go through an RV dealer".

Chris,

I am real sorry that I have not responded to your questions way back in February. We were gone for an extended time period, returned home and went again, returned home and gone for another three weeks. For some reason, I missed the posts you made regarding what the factory told you about buying through a retailer. Strange, indeed. I bought mine directly through them at the retail sales number I provided you and it was the correct size in length and width.

I am glad you got your awning fixed and I am deeply sorry that I did not get your post; I just got a notification today and read through all you've been through. I wish you had given me a call; I did give you my phone number in an earlier post.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #28

@Jerry,

There is absolutely no reason to apologize! I enjoy figuring things out and did not feel discouraged or frustrated at any time. It was very nice of you to offer your help (even your phone number!), and knowing that you are living so close by I would have called you if I had run into a desperate situation. But all went well: I replaced the awning rather cheaply, learned quite a bit, and made friends on the way. If only I could figure out how to get all the sticky duct-tape off the ladder ...

Chris
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
@Jerry,

There is absolutely no reason to apologize! I enjoy figuring things out and did not feel discouraged or frustrated at any time. It was very nice of you to offer your help (even your phone number!), and knowing that you are living so close by I would have called you if I had run into a desperate situation. But all went well: I replaced the awning rather cheaply, learned quite a bit, and made friends on the way. If only I could figure out how to get all the sticky duct-tape off the ladder ...

Chris
Chris,

As you have probably heard by now, we will be selling our Hi Lo and going to a class 'c' motorhome. I am doing this for the comfort of my wife who is suffering from pain for the past 5-years due to her kidney removal surgery. While I feel I have the ideal and best truck for the towing job, since it is a 4x4 and rides relatively rough it is a great discomfort for Carol so I will sell it and go for the comfort of a MH. regardless, if you ever need any help or advice on your Hi Lo, I am still as close as the telephone so call me whenever.

If you have to burn the duct tape off, I recently bought a new heat blower that will do the trick.

Jerry & Carol
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #30

I couldn't resist to post a picture of the new awning...

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiLo-awning.jpg (33.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #31

Quote:
I couldn't resist to post a picture of the new awning...

Chris

That looks nice! Now enjoy!!

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Tags
1993 funllte, awning, newbie, san antonio, texas