Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #1

Default Fridge Fan question

We bought our 2009 17T on a fall clearance last year and basically parked it after buying it, but we felt like we got a good deal Now we're about to go on our first trip and I have it plugged in at home cooling off the Fridge on AC mode. If I turn the fan on it has not wanted to shut off in over 36 hours. After thinking about it I believe they told me when I bought it that the manual switch was for when its lowered and your hauling it since it can't cool but when its upright it can vent and you don't need it on. I'm worried that with how much it wants to run its just going to drain my battery on our trip once we're parked. Can anyone confirm for me if its only for trailering?

foxrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Team

It should certainly be on when the top is down, but I have mine on anytime the refrigerator is on. There should be a thermostatic switch in the fan circuit that causes it to come on only if the temperature in the condenser? section is high enough. I think it's around 110 degrees, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, if your refrigerator stays cold enough without it, you would not need to use it while camping.

I've also replaced the "Mattel toy fan" that was OEM with two PC fans that draw less current and more more air, much more quietly. I posted how I did it in this thread: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f35/...rator-fan-261/

- Jack

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

I followed what Jack did for the fan replacement. Best up grade you can do for that system. Sure is quiet in the trailer! Thanks Jack!
desert trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I have it set to 4/5 and its holding a cold temp no problem. When I hold my hand against the vent with the fan off I feel heat but there is air movement both in and out so it doesn't seem to be a problem. I think I'll turn it on for the DC portion of the trip where the camper is lowered and then maybe run the fan for a bit once we arrive so it is cooled off for sure. Then periodically throughout the day. At some point this summer I will definitely give the fans an upgrade. Sounds like an easy swap and I always enjoy some tinkering. Maybe I'll use that as a good time to wire in some USB charging outlets as well
Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #5

When you are parked with the sun hitting the fridge side is a good time to switch the fan on.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #6

Make sure if you are running it on DC and fan going while driving you are aware of how much you are depleting batteries. many charging systems will barely keep up with the power consumption from the battery and will, actually, be lower than when you started out. So- make sure that when you get to where ever you are going you have a way to re-charge the batteries.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Make sure if you are running it on DC and fan going while driving you are aware of how much you are depleting batteries. many charging systems will barely keep up with the power consumption from the battery and will, actually, be lower than when you started out. So- make sure that when you get to where ever you are going you have a way to re-charge the batteries.

rick
I never thought about that. My drive is about 2 hours. Would I be better off just turning it off before I leave and switch to gas when I get there? Or perhaps DC with a 1/5 on the cold setting.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Personally, if you have less than a 2 hour trip and will not be stopping on the way for anything more than gasoline, I'd just turn the refrigerator off while traveling and fire it up with gas when you get to your campground.

Make sure it's cold when you start out and is full of cold food.

You MAY have to rig something to keep the refrigerator door closed while traveling though. Mine would open (and dump things out) on the road until I rigged a bungee cord to keep it closed. I've since added a pin at the top of the door to make sure it stays closed, and, I've rebuilt the latch.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

I agree with Jack. Two hours is no issue. If you can- cool it down over night before you go on AC or propane. Then shut it off on the road and start it back up when you get there. It should hold the cold fine. If I'm running all day I will often just carry perishables in a regular cooler and then transfer when I get to where I am going and start up the frig. I use the cooler for beverages,anyway, - as I would rather just waste some ice if I have to open and close something alot. The 12vdc is really only meant to keep it cooled while on the road but it is not an efficient strategy energy wise. It uses a good deal of battery. You can put cold food in the frig and it is more efficient in terms of supplying what you need- which is just keeping stuff from spoiling. TWo hours it will do fine without running power.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

In the past I have used a piece of dry ice to keep the fridge cold while traveling. It doesn't melt and drip like regular ice. You must wrap it in newspaper or use gloves to handle it. It will last for several days.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

I have it plugged in now so I will just bump the coldness to 5 before I leave and turn it off while we travel. I like he dry ice idea for long trips someday. We should only need one stop for the kids....maybe one alongside the road too with youngens