Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Default Gray tank leaking on top when full

Have a 2809C that water flows out when nearly full. I would like to see if I can access the top from inside to see what the problem is or if it will need replacement. If any one knows how I might be able to do this, it would be great.
Thanks
Larry
corsavair1965@aol.com

corsavair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
sam

Default Our grey water tank does the same thing.

DH just chooses to leave it alone. You would have to remove the tank from the exterior and see where it is leaking.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Default gray tank leaking

The sensors are not giving proper levels and when tank is filled to top or near top it is more than just a leak. Has a good amount of water overflow. If any one knows perhaps access top of tank from inside so I can see if problem is major or something I could correct? Thanks again for your info.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Team

I've never had to do this, but I suspect accessing the top of the tank from inside is difficult to impossible. I THINK you have to drop the tank, which in itself is not going to be easy.

- Jack
Old 07-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

Default gray tank leaking on top

Appreciate the info from everyone. Nothing in plumbing seems easy on a travel trailer. If there is anyone out there that knows if any way to access from the inside I would appreciate their input. I will probably have to take it to a rv repair shop since dropping the tank would be difficult. Since the lines are attached to the top and I do not see how to cut them loose and when dropping may cause other problems.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsavair1965 View Post
Appreciate the info from everyone. Nothing in plumbing seems easy on a travel trailer. If there is anyone out there that knows if any way to access from the inside I would appreciate their input. I will probably have to take it to a rv repair shop since dropping the tank would be difficult. Since the lines are attached to the top and I do not see how to cut them loose and when dropping may cause other problems.
Not to mention how the heck do you get them reconnected?

I think you'd almost have to cut a big hole in the floor around the drains into the tanks, and then you'd have fun patching them. There's a minimum of 3 things that drain into the grey tank. I suspect they MAY join before entering the tank, but still, it would be a VERY difficult job.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Default gray water tank leak on top

Thank you Jack for your input. It definitely is beyond me. I will take in my Hi LO to our local RV center and see what they say and can do to correct this.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Larry, I'm not an expert on this by any means. The only repair I've done to the tanks has been to stop a leak at the collar of the black tank and I've recently installed Horst Miracle Probes in the black and grey tanks. But, having spent a goodly amount of time under the trailer, it seems impossible to get to the top of the tanks without dropping them. And I don't have a clue how they're attached to the toilet, sinks and shower.

I wonder if there are any u-tube videos on replacing tanks in RVs? You might have a look before you commit to an RV Center.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #9
Site Team

Just went out to my unit and found an access in front of my shower pan. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there is room to check out the plumbing under there. Don't know about anyone else's, but I'll check into it after this trip.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #10
sam

Default Had the same thought

Check out utube for replacing a tank. Our only leaks a little when It is full and we usually are leaving and will be dumping.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #11

appreciate any info on this.
Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #12

Will be checking this out. Thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #13

I appreciate any info you give me as I am at a loss.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #14

Default grey tank leaking at top

Hi
I was reading the thread about this problem and I was wondering if anyone had fixed this problem yet? 2201 is the model I have.
Thanks
lincow

lincow is offline   Reply With Quote