Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Heads up!

Hey guys, recently buying my first trailer and having an incredible curiosity about it, I've been all over this thing and have found something that you may know about, but may not.
On my undercarriage inspection and lift system lube, I noticed that the (please excuse the terminology) links connecting the leaf springs to the cast wishbone between them had some severe ware. the top holes were elongated by about 30%! I called my new buddy Rob over at J&R Trailer Repair and he sent me a couple of new ones.
I replaced them today and it only took about an hour. I jacked up the rear axle until the tire was off of the ground and placed a jack stand up under the frame and removed the tire. I then jacked up the front axle removed the tire and placed another jack stand under the front spring, freeing up the jack to use on the rear spring. I jacked up the rear spring to take the tension off of the wishbone and removed the bolts. The bottom bolts are splined and pressed into the inner link. I then took the attached bolt/link to my trusty vise, threaded a nut onto the end of the bolt and knocked the bolts out of the old links. Cleaned them up with WD-40 and a wire brush and set them in the new links with a 2# sledge...gently. I then reassembled the suspension using grease in the loops on the leaf springs. While your in here pop off the dust covers on the hub and give it a quick inspection, you have tools and grease right there. I also douse the springs with WD-40 try to prevent rust as much as possible and brush some anti-cease compound on the lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0260.jpg (91.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0261.jpg (87.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0262.jpg (88.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0263.jpg (96.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0264.jpg (85.9 KB, 56 views)

vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

WD 40 doesnt prevent rust, if you are going to coat your metal with something, go get some spray chain oil, like we use on motorcycles and farm equipment... Just sayin..

Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the post. I will keep an eye on these .
lpmincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Yikes! That WAS pretty severe wear on the links. Looks to me like a major failure waiting to happen.

The torsion axles like my trailer uses don't have anything like that in the suspension system. At the moment, I can't see that this is a curse or a blessing. Everything in the torsion axle is pretty much hidden, and not serviceable.

- Jack
Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

This is a 93 trailer so newer models probably don't have to worry about it. All I know is that anyone with an older trailer should eyeball them, I wouldn't want to hear of anyone having them fail while in tow.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
WD 40 doesnt prevent rust, if you are going to coat your metal with something, go get some spray chain oil, like we use on motorcycles and farm equipment... Just sayin..
Sting32,

I disagree, though WD40 may not have the exterior element resistance that a bar oil or chain oil has, it does have a rust preventative that will do the job for a shorter period of time. It also has a penetrating ingredient that will loosen rusted components of of the suspension as well as free rust from the metal. I usually keep on top of these components coating a couple of times a year. One thing I like about a light weight oil is that the dirt doesn't seem to stick as much. In my motocross days I used a Kawasaki or Bel-Ray chain lube, granted it did the trick in sticking to the chain of a KX80, 125 or 250 but so did dust, turning it into a paste that had to be wire brushed off in between motos for a new coat of oil. I would rather re-spray it with WD40 than wire brush off the grime and re oil. Of course I suppose you could power wash it off......hmm....decisions, decisions....;-)