Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Red face Heater? Help! We're freezing our butts off!

I have a 1987 FunChaser. What's the trick to get the heater working?
We are at the Buellton Vintage Trailer Rally in California. It's 45 degrees and no heat! We are huddled around the oven trying to thaw out from a sleepless night.

1987 Hi-Lo FunChaser
2006 Chevy Silverado
SeaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #2

Gas on, 12 volt power thru battery or converter, turn switch on, (slide to right) on bottom of thermostat, turn thermostat up. Fan on furnace starts, click,click,click, etc (igniter fires), gas ignites you get heat.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk52 View Post
Gas on, 12 volt power thru battery or converter, turn switch on, (slide to right) on bottom of thermostat, turn thermostat up. Fan on furnace starts, click,click,click, etc (igniter fires), gas ignites you get heat.
This works if the heater has an electronic igniter. Some older RV heaters have a pilot light instead. In this case, find the access door, panel, etc. to the pilot light compartment. Open it and light the pilot the same way it's done on household appliances. Usually you need to turn the gas valve on the heater to "pilot" and push it down as you light it.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

On my 1985 funchaser all I/you need to do is turn on the lower switch on the thermostat and slide the temp lever, no pilot to light. I believe it has a glow plug type of lighter.
May take a little while before heat since it is at the end of the gas line, but works well.
Since yours is a so. calif. trlr it may have the gas line valve closed at the heater.
Have you checked function before? Do not use until you know that the 30 year old furnace is in GOOD operating condition and not leaking carbon monoxide from the heat exchanger.
If you light it and go back to sleep, you may not wake up!
I used mine both times we went out this year.
Luckily the hi-lo is not airtight or carbon monoxide from the oven would/could compromise your life!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
sam

Default Furnice trouble

1990 25ft. classic. We had furnace troubles and this is what was done. Adjusted the ignitor spacing so that the sensor rod was at the correct distance from the ignitor. Raise thermostat to a high temp and see if the furnace will turn on. Check fuses and see if any are blown. Is the thermostat shot? Is the air input motor running with the thermostat on? Look on the internet for your model and make of furnace. This should give you a lot of good information and a trouble shooting guide. Igniter-correction to spelling. I hope this helps you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #6

Laurie, I hope you got your heater working.... If you did, make certain you have a Carbon Monoxide alarm with fresh batteries.
If not, buy an electric heater and operate it as per directions....
DO NOT use the oven for heat - especially at night while you guys sleep!!!!!
If necessary, get you propane heater checked by a reliable dealer.....
Best Wishes! Bob
Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

Default I hope I don't feel your pain

We're heading out later today for an overnighter, and it's currently 61 degrees (as opposed to recent overnight lows of high 60's). I've not yet tested my heater so this may be another first for me.

I'm a real sissy when it comes to cold weather (and snakes).
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #8

Red face no heat.

I have a 1987 funchaser..make sure the gas is turned on..when you turn the thermostate on the fan should come on first for about 1 to 2 min than the furnance will come on...if not could be anything..
paulsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

Default Heater

If it's cold where you are come on down to Houston. Were still in the high 80's and low 90's. I know this doesn't help but all the other posts have all the info you should need to get your heater going again.

Bear
bearshrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #10

Be sure to check the valve that feeds the furnace, you have to open the little door in front of the furnace and turn the valve, also make sure you have a charged battery, I know I made the same mistake last year and thought it was charged, darn thing wouldn't work, I came home from work one day and the fan motor was blowing, don't know how long it was doing that for but i'm sure it was most of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsot View Post
make sure the gas is turned on..(

Proud owner of a 2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28 BHBE
dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to GiGi

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
On my 1985 funchaser all I/you need to do is turn on the lower switch on the thermostat and slide the temp lever, no pilot to light. I believe it has a glow plug type of lighter.
May take a little while before heat since it is at the end of the gas line, but works well.
Since yours is a so. calif. trlr it may have the gas line valve closed at the heater.
Have you checked function before? Do not use until you know that the 30 year old furnace is in GOOD operating condition and not leaking carbon monoxide from the heat exchanger.
If you light it and go back to sleep, you may not wake up!
I used mine both times we went out this year.
Luckily the hi-lo is not airtight or carbon monoxide from the oven would/could compromise your life!
Where might I find this at? And where is the heater unit LOL?
GiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

Smile No Heat!

On our 30 day trip out West, I purchased a small Ceramic electric heater at Wally World for 29.95 and it heated our entire 27 foot HiLo and it saved on gas and electricity is included with full hookups. You can buy them anywhere and they are a very safe. No Carbon Monoxide possibilities! Just a thought!
Joe
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #13

Default Heater

Did you resolve your heat issue?

Elaine and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote