Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Default Hello!

I randomly stumbled across this forum while searching for reno photos. Although we aren't able to start the process now, we would like to do some much needed updating and especially bathroom repairs hopefully soon! As to what year we have, well that escapes me at the moment, but I believe it is an early to mid 80's but I could be totally off. It is in livable condition as long as we don't use the plumbing, tank is cracked! So anyhoo, hello! I'm sure I'll be quite happy to show hubs around this little site as we plan our reno!

SarahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Sarah- hello back.

You'll find LOTs of renovations projects in here. Just be diligent in your searches and as you zero in a specific project ask and somebody is likely to help direct you to the appropriate thread. meanwhile, welcome!

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Hello from beautiful NE Iowa where it is still winter!
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome! Oh and here are a few photos we took two years ago when we bought it, my son is chillin on the bed for the last photo

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

Sarah ,and family welcome to the forum. Hilitool said it best. Surely someone has done the repair you need to do . Just ask. Our forum members have done everything from major to minor. Hopefully it will warm up soon so you can get your repair done and go camping. From the pictures I would say your trailer is a 80-something. Tank rips are fixable.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
gus

newer than mine,mid o late 80's, a little of remodeling and paint and it will look great
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

I do hope it warms up soon! 6-10" of snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Good old Indiana weather -_-

From what hubs has said, we will need to work on the upper walls and the weather stripping between upper and lower first. Currently we have it temporarily stuffed with foam and are unable to lower it. The previous owners (we bought it as a bank repo) did not take very good care and so when we lowered for transport I had to be outside pushing against where the fridge grate is so that it wouldn't catch and tear. In the bathroom there is a great amount of water damage from the sink all the way around to the end of the shower next to the bed. The framing, flooring, fixtures, etc. all seem to be in good order and the kitchen is in fantastic condition, just some updating to be done there. I do plan on keeping a photo diary of the progress as finances, time, and weather permits.

I would love to take my family on some great trips like I had when I was a kid and am very anxious to do so! Probably will need to get a new vehicle though if we want to go any long distances. Our Jeep Cherokee Sport had a bit of a struggle on the four hour trip it took to get it home.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
sam

Default HiLo renovations.

Sarah C. We have done all the renovations to our 1990 Classic that you need to do. If I was you I would take the noodles.pipe insulation out and lower the trailer. The other alternative is to cut 2x4's and place them at the exterior corners to take the strain off the lift cables. Pm me and my hubby can tell you how to do this. When the weather breaks the first thing I would do is seal your roof with the appropriate coating. Seal around your airconditioner and any roof vents. A combination of lap seal and maybe externa bond tape. Go under off topic and you will see my story of 1990 Classic restoration. It includes pictures and word descriptions. Tomorrow I will get my daughter to post the link for you as I am not very computer literate. You can do this renovation if you are handy.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #9

I am going to add my observations to the discussion on supporting the top half with 2x4's when in the up position for extended periods of time. My HiLo is a 2805 classic. When I first got it and supported it with 2 ea 2x4's at the front over the hitch frame and 2 over the bumper frame at the rear The gap around the door frame got wider. This is as a result of some sagging in the roof due to lack of support at the door and tilt out openings. On my HiLo the support point with the 2x4's has been moved aprox 9 ft total forward and rearward than the cable support points. HiLo, on the newer and longer trailers added up to 5 outriggers on the sides for a total of 9 support points to support the top along its length when lowered. Not sure what year this started or on what lengths it applied to. I started supporting my top with the 4 2x4's front and rear plus over each of the outriggers and there is no measurable sag at the door or tip out opening. I have read post here about cracks developing in the upper corners of the door on older HiLos. These extra supports may not be needed on shorter HiLos. If you leave your longer HiLo in the up position supported by the 2x4's front and rear in the winter where you can get heavy snows think of the tremendous weight added and the stress at the top of the door and tip out opening. One question I have: Is the top on older HiLos supported by the cables when in the lowered position or does the top rest somehow on the bottom half, top rail. Hope this post makes sense and I welcome comments and other ideas.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #10

Default Support top section

Jim FYI the older models, such as the 2509 classic we had, were supported by extensions of the frame on front and back, but they did not have any tip outs to contend with. On the 2703 we had and the present 2901 we now have I always support the top from the four outriggers. For some reason the 01 Classic didn't come with an outrigger at the front (drivers side) corner, so I fabricated and installed one. Prior to this modification the top rested on top of the refrigerator cabinet.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
sam

Default Renovation link

Sarah C. I know I promised you the photobucket link to our renovations. My daughter went to bed at midnight. I have had a temp of 102.4 by late evening. Right now my temp is 103.00 Waiting for my hubby to get up at five am nd take me the 45 minutes to the ER in Buffalo,NY. I am sure I will be admitted as I have a huge abdominal infection. Long story.This is where my surgeon is located. I'm fairy confident I will be in surgery well before April 22nd. This is the second day in a row I developed a fever later in the evening. Prayers appreciated. I've never been a pt. in this hospital before. Nurses make the neatest pts. A new set of folks to try my medical jokes on.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

Take care Sam, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers