Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Smile Help with seal/roof repair

Good morning HTF.

I have been a member for a little while but have had little to post. I have been reading a lot. I am 70 years young and I work with Samoyed rescue when I can. We have two of our own that we rescued 3 years ago.
I'm a model railroader, railfan, and ex railroader too.

I have a 1994 245 TD bought used 2 years ago hoping to take a long trip with my wife and two Sammies. We did manage to get one week end just after we bought if and all was great. Then some health issues came up and the girl sat for 20 months.
I knew it needed new bulb seals but now I find I have some water damage caused by the awning filling over the winter this past year. I had planned to remove the awning so I did it, It is not something we use so why haul it around?
I have seen reference to videos and threads about blocking the roof to replace the seals, and I have found written instructions here, but I am not able to locate any you tube videos showing where to put the long 2x4's after raising the roof off the base. If some one will post a link I would be greatful.
I need to replace the right side roof lower frame too, not because of rot, but because it is bowed.
The HILO is in great shape except for these problems so I want to fix it up before we head off this October. I am a skilled mechanic as well as woodworker so I know I can do it, but I find everything is better if someone has done it and will show you how.
I also plan on resealing all the windows and roof seams too.
Thanks for any and all advise.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

This may help, check out these posts
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...down-bunk-692/
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...1998-24td-125/
also look at the attached files

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by campthewestcoast View Post
I had the same problem with my 97 towlite , I was going to do the repair but I had nowhere to work on it. I couldn't tear it apart on the city street.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, there is some great information there, and inspiration too.
I didn't expect too much responsebecause I figured everyone was on holiday.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

Charlie, would you consider selling me your old awning? The problem would be shipping as I am in Arizona and here in Arizona we NEED awnings.

Rick
480-213-6152
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
sam

Default Charlie B Seal and repairs

Welcome to the forum. This might help you as I did a photo bucket of our repairs. 6-10-2014 is the link for the photo bucket repairs. In hindsight DH wishes he used heavier material that is used to wrap house eves and windows as part of the seal replacement. He used light wt. flashing and a 3ft. section of the flashing has curled up and the seal shreaded. A do over. Order your P bulb seal from Midget RV in Ohio. Best f luck with your repairs.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Charlie, would you consider selling me your old awning? The problem would be shipping as I am in Arizona and here in Arizona we NEED awnings.

Rick
480-213-6152
Rick, I would have considered selling it, but is isn't in the greatest shape so I attached it to the side of my shed to cover the summer tools (lawn tractor, rotor tiller, etc so I didn't have to put them in my garage during the season.
For what it is worth I bought a 1979 Coachmen 6 years ago and it had a good awning on it and I only paid 500 bucks for the camper at a dealers, it also has a good working air conditioner. It had a little water damage to the front that I repaired and I use it for a guest house because we have a tiny one bedroom home. I found this camper on the way home from looking at a ridiculously overpriced camping trailer that was on Craigslist. That is a funny story in itself.
I can't imagine what shipping would be on a 16 foot awning weighing almost a hundred pounds.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Welcome to the forum. This might help you as I did a photo bucket of our repairs. 6-10-2014 is the link for the photo bucket repairs. In hindsight DH wishes he used heavier material that is used to wrap house eves and windows as part of the seal replacement. He used light wt. flashing and a 3ft. section of the flashing has curled up and the seal shreaded. A do over. Order your P bulb seal from Midget RV in Ohio. Best f luck with your repairs.
Thanks for the reply Sam, can you post a direct link or am I doing something wrong with my forum settings. I noticed I still don't get email notices so I need to go to ATT to see if the spam filter got turned back on.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
sam

Default wall repair photo bucket link 1990 25ft. Classic

3SamTLPX's Library | Photobucket
Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Sam, once again thank you. Great pictures and a great job. You are an inspiration to all of us. I ordered bulb seal and butyl rubber for all the windows and seams yesterday. Found out if you know what you are looking for Ebay can really be your friend. I plan on making the bulb seal. I will let everyone know how that works out.
For the first time in a long time I am excited about doing a project. I am not going to restore it, I think I can improve it.
Charlie
Old 07-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
sam

Default Repairing wall dammage

Charlie b,You can do this!! Take lots of pictures before you rip things out. Do measured drawings of your window treatment hardwear. Cover all your floors and counter tops with cardboard and duct tape. SP hardware. You will also need Lexel caulk or Sikaflex to do your exterior windows. You are right about improving some things. No lie we used about 400 S.S. screws in our repairs. DH is a semiretired sheet metal fabricator. That is why our repairs came out reasonably well. We are here if you have any questions.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

My Hilo appears to have one bulb seal on the upper half and none on the lower. I have read where some have a seal on both sections. Should all the Hilos have an upper and a lower seal or were different models different?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #13

My 2805C has only the one seal, and just replaced by J&R with the newer seal
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

Thanks for the reply Jim, there doesn't really look like any way to put a seal on the bottom any way, but it would be a good positive seal with two
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
Thanks for the reply Jim, there doesn't really look like any way to put a seal on the bottom any way, but it would be a good positive seal with two
You could always stuff pipe insulation or swimming noodles in between the top and bottom on the outside to create a better seal. Remember to take them out before lowering.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote