Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #21

I would think any patients Hi-Lo had are expired so anyone can make a "Hi-Lo" just call it something else. That said about the only advantage to making a hard popup is it's aerodynamic advantage while towing. They are more complicated, heavier, more expensive, require more setup, have more potential problems as they age, etc. So the tradeoff is better gas mileage while towing but with gas at $1.65/gal who cares? That said I dig my Towlite, someday gas will be $4/gal again.

Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnottyRig View Post
I didn't notice the standard window AC before. Yea, not too excited by that. Hopefully they have plans for conventional RV AC units.
A conventional RV A/C is way overkill for such a small trailer. You can't power one with a small 2000w generator like you can that window unit, and the roof model hurts aerodynamics. The roof ones are prone to leak someday and cost more to replace. I love the standard window unit.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #23

I think the advantage is not just aerodynamics. The lower center of gravity and reduced wind profile is the big advantage in my opinion over other bumper pull trailers. I realize towing a fifth wheel is a different animal but I've watched enough bumper pull high profile rvs getting swept side to side by the wake of semis to make me thankful I'm pulling what I'm pulling. And ditto that n high wind conditions.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #24

Are HI-Lo's actually heavier than comparably-sized "conventional" trailers?

Part of me says they should weigh more, given the requirements for the lift system (hydraulics, cables, etc). But I haven't actually compared apples-to-oranges on weights.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #25

From what research I have been doing I think the Hi-Lo is no heavier than many so called lightweight travel trailers. The lift system itself doesn't really add much weight. I think the overall construction may be on the heavy side, but going down the highway the decrease in drag more than makes up the differences in weight as compared to conventional travel trailers.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #26
Site Team

And as hilltool states, that lighter load and higher stance makes for even greater impact with the wind. Total lift system, with cables, pump, piston, fluid, lines and even pulleys, doesn't even weigh 100# total. Even 5 yrs ago, they built trailers heavier. Low profile is the way to go for less drag and fuel savings. Lighter trailer, more buffeting, less peace of mind (stress) and does lighter mean fuel economy? My 2 cents.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #27

Good point Hilltool - lower center of gravity combined with less side wall means less impact from cross-wind (actual wind or pressure cause by passing vehicles).

From a fuel-efficieny standpoint, Treeclimber, it really depends on the type of driving. With short-trip or slow/stop and go (or hill climbing/elevation changes), total mass will be the biggest influence, as the tow vehicle must accelerate that mass, perhaps repeatedly.

Flat-road cruise will be more impacted by drag, since you won't be accelerating the vehicle as much - accelerating forces will be to overcome drag.

Try towing an empty box trailer, and then a similar weight trailer that's smaller (shorter/narrower) than your truck. Under about 45 mph they'll feel similar, but as your speed increases the box trailer will be more of a *drag* (haha...I couldn't resist that one!).

So for the guy that only goes to the park 20 miles away one weekend a month, a regular trailer is fine. For the more road-trekky types, reducing drag with a Hi-Lo can make a big difference.

I live in Colorado - trailer mass will be significant. I try to keep trailers under 3000lbs. Even then I'm not accelerating up mountain roads - I'll be the guy in the right lane with the trucks on I70 (I have a 1/4 ton truck with 250 hp/250lbs torque).

Just my .02, based on years of doing dumb stuff, (and a bit of college physics).
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #28

Right, the aerodynamics is really the only advantage, it has to weigh more then an identically built hard side because of the reinforced lip at the top of the lower wall, and the bottom of the upper wall plus the lift hydraulics. So the aerodynamic advantage isn't as big of a deal with gas at $1.65/gallon and the average person only towing their camper a few thousand miles a year if that.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #29

So let's say I do go 2000 miles a year and the best I've ever averaged with my Hi-Lo is 14 mpg. That's 143 gallons of gas. Say I buy a conventional box and my MPG drops to 7, that's double the gas or an additional 143 gallons. At 1.65/gal that's an extra $235 per year. Now when gas goes back up above $4, then it will start making sense to return the Hi-Lo to market again.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
Site Team

Gotta agree with all that's been said, but I like the fact that owning a Hi Lo is a LOT more impressive and gets more thumbs-up than any "box" trailer. Also the fact that three miles away is I-75 and I usually stay there till I pick up another Interstate and get where I'm going. I just pulled Moonstrucks 2703 back from Bartow County, Ga. and the "ole" Caddy averaged 14.6, even coming out of the "big hills" of Ga.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #31

I actually did get as high as 15.7 mpg for 170 miles leaving Yellowstone but that's technically downhill, then we blew a bearing but didn't know it. The best my tow rig gets on the highway (an AWD Hemi Aspen) is 18 mpg so that is pretty awesome. I really want to try with the Caravan as I know it will be above 20mpg. I also want to totally rebuild and reconstruct my upper half for light weight and even better aerodynamics. But I'm not a normal RV buyer, I'm a MPG geek.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #32

Default I spoke to a Kerola Employee at the January 2016 Pittsburg RV Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincamp View Post
Hello All
Check out the site smalltrailerenthusiast.com then in their search hi-lo. There are pictures of two proto trailers and an article on the reintroduction of Hi-Lo trailers.

Twincamp
I have owned 5 Hi-Lo's over the years. Sold my last one - a 1508T last fall and purchased a 25' Class C. I know Hi-Lo's very well, and am fairly familiar with what Bill Kerola is doing with the Hi-Lo brand, as I live close to him, and have visited his dealership.

Bill purchased all the plans and the Hi-Lo name from the Snyder family some months after they went out of business in 2010. He had a 4-motor-driven prototype last year, (a lot like the Trail Manor unit), but for whatever reason abandoned it.

The latest prototype was built by the old Hi-Lo plant Manager (his name escapes me). It looks like an old Hi-Lo 17' on the outside and mechanically, and looks like a 'Mini' on the inside. I told them at the Pittsburgh RV show that I thought they needed to abandon the old heavy expensive lift system and do something more modern and lighter/cheaper, they needed Hot Water, and at least a 1/2 bath.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #33

What makes the lift system heavy? There is the pump, hydraulic cylinder, and the cables and pulleys. Would that be even 50 pounds?
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #34

I agree. The new system on the trail manor didn't look much lighter when you include the four different vertical shafts. I didn't get to see what was driving the hydraulics, though.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
That's an excellent idea! Hi-Lo would still be in business today if it wasn't for their poor marketing habits and family owned small business management ways. It wasn't that the times were bad and there was no demand for the product. They did not keep up on the times in advertising and social media. Did you ever see an ad in Trailer Life magazine that was any bigger than a listing in the classified section of Trailer Life. Many people never knew Hi-Lo existed. How many times have you been in a campground where people would stop to see your trailer and want to know about how it worked. There is no other trailer like it.

I wonder if there are any Power Ball winners here that would be interested in giving a generous donation.
With all due respect, this is how I see it --

People may remember that Hi-Lo marketed themselves over several years as a prize package on the top rated Price is Right show with Bob Barker. There were also several full-page ads in Trailer Life as well as product tests. The last TL product test was on the 2310H in the May 2010 issue. Also the 15T in August of 2008. IMHO, If anything, for the size of the company, too much money was spent on marketing. Plenty of people were aware of the brand but many either could not or chose not to understand the advantages of the product. Their website was just as good as any of the major companies at the time. It absolutely was that times were bad and that there was little demand for a lot of big ticket items. -
ReadyToRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #36

I say sales dropped as gas prices dropped. When Obama took office gas prices were about as low as they are now. Now wouldn't be the best time to try and bring it back. Wait until gas gets back to the $3/gallon range or more.
I would bet this chart corresponds nicely with highs and lows in Hi-Lo sales (see what I did there?)
http://zfacts.com/gas-price-history-graph
Old 07-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #37

I see a lot of retro small trailers in my limited travels and I think that the Kerolas have started out right trying to tap into that market. Here's to their success.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #38

Very good read, I also have so idea's on how to improve the HI-Lo, and get more as I continue my tear out before I start reconstruction.

ltblueblzr is offline   Reply With Quote