Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #1

Default Is Hi Lo really back?

Has anyone else seen this?

Camping Trailers | Hi-Lo Trailers

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #2

Yea, that came up a while back (maybe last year some time?). IIRC, those guys worked for/with HiLo at one time, and purchased all the IP (Intellectual Property) of the company (diagrams, designs, construction methods, etc).

These new units are essentially the old 17', but with a queen bed, a windwo air conditioner (which is typically quieter and MUCH cheaper than an RV unit), but get this - NO BATHROOM.

I was excited to hear of the comback (albeit different owners), but was really disappointed that for $17k you don't get a bathroom. Yeeouch...that's one pricey Coleman camper!

Seems they simplified as much as they could to get to a price point where they could maximise profits (or just make a go of it). Not sure who this would sell to. You essentially need a camp ground with showers and toilets for it to be useful.

Hopefully they did their market research and this is just a stepping stone to more features.

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #3

That pretty much makes it a pop up with hard sides, in fact the one we had at least had two beds.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #4

Wow, Richard, you're right - I missed that there's no bunk bed either. Really makes me wonder what kind of market research they did, since the A-frame style campers provide as much as these new Hi-Lo's do at a significantly lower price. Some even have a toilet/shower (albeit nowhere near as nice as an original Hi-Lo).

I do hope they can make a go of it and continue producing models with more features.

It would be interesting to see their market research to understand why they're producing this model/features (or lack of).
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote