Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Hi-Lo vs.Trail Manor

This was posted as a message in my inbox by Bethany, but I believe that it was to be posted on the forum.

" Hi,
My husband has been wanting a popup camper for about 10 years now. As young parents, we used to own one,, then sold it and purchased a used airstream. We loved it, but kept it in one location. After being transferred, we sold it because he hates pulling a large camper. For his 60th birthday, I would like to buy him a used camper. Looking at the Hi-Lo or Trail Manor. Does anyone know pros or cons between the two? Thanks Bethany "

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

First of all, welcome to the forum Bethany!

The HiLo is a much better built trailer IMO. I looked at both when buying mine and found the build quality of the HiLo much better. You have only to push a button and your tariler is set up with the HiLo. You will have double axles in most cases with the HiLo. If weight is an issue, you can look at a tow lite model which will be lighter than a classic.
There are members that have owned both and I'm sure that they will chime in.
Don't be afraid to ask question, you will find that the members are ready and willing to answer.

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
sam

Default HiLo vs Trailmanor

Several families in our camping club have owned Trail Manors. They reported that they were of inferior quality and leaked. Our Rv dealer refuses to take any TrailManors in on trade. Welcome to the forum. I promise you that you will not be sorry if you purchase a used HiLo. Read the forum as often as you can. We are here to answer any questions that you have. What is your tow vehicle?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

My HiLo dealer friend used to show people how easy it was to raise and lower a HiLo at the RV show. Then he would tell them to go to the Trailmanor dealer's display and have him show how easy it was to set one of them up. The guy would not do it.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

The two sticking point with trail manor for me was the re-circulating toilet and the drafts. I dry camp in dusty and windy areas and was afraid the trailmanor would fill up with dust. The Trail manors are bigger when opened up but my hi-lo is big enough. Less to clean even.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
sam

Default Trail manor vs HiLo

Rich R,got a chuckle out of your story. Something is really wrong when a salesman won't give a demo!!!! You tube has a video on the set up of a trail manor. I got tired just watching all the steps for set up.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

for me, its a deal breaker if i have no window over the sink. who wants your head in a cupboard when doing dishes. all the trailM had no window over the sinks.
all the Hi-Los had huge windows and lots of counter space where the trailM had none.
not to mention the easy set up of the hi-lo.
but the TM had more interior space and ready made beds. but thats all they had. too much work
Jthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #8

The Hi-Los have more windows than almost any brand of trailers. I love that about them.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #9

Check out this thread I wrote about a year ago. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f17/...ack-hi-lo-761/ I've owned both in the last year and I discuss the pros and cons of each. I Like Hi-Lo better overall.
boater454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
sam

Default HiLo vs Trail Manor

When I was growing up we had a tent for camping. Then my mother purchased a camper to go with my dad's 1/2 ton pickup. Three people in the truck cab and four in the back. I know the truck wasn't rated for all that weight. We went to 1000 Islands and the truck broke down. Can't remember what broke,but it got repaired. Had a slight accident as my dad pulled into a street park and the corner caught a less than straight telephone pole. Duct tape and new turn buckles. Got it home and dad parked it in the yard and let it rot. Several years later he bought a truck that was meant to have a camper and never bought one. Moral of the story,never purchase anything unless you both are in agreement and have done yourhomework and research. We had a Palamino popup for 6 yrs. and now we have owned the 25ft.Classic for 11 yrs. Didn't think about how many windows we have in our HiLo's. The counter space is very adequate for our needs. Some HiLo's even have a tip out for aditional room. Our hiLo has held up under severe wind and rain storms. I know we will get many more years out of old faithful. No matter what goes wrong it is repairable.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #11

Before we purchased our Hilo, I went to an RV dealer that had a Trailmanor and asked if the salesman could show me how to set it up. After some hesitation, he agreed to show me. In fact, he actually asked me how serious I was about the trailer. Trust me, it does not set up as smooth as the You Tube video implies. It actually took both of us to lift the front and back into place. It just felt like a really clumsy process. Once lifted into place, it did not seem that stable even after locking it down.

The internal set up included having to hang cabinets, slide beds in and out, lift walls to assemble the bathroom, move items (chair, microwave, and cabinets) out of the way, and velcro the carpet that ran completely around the trailer to cover the top and bottom seams. After the internal setup was complete, I noticed lots of places around the seam that would potentially allow wind flow. And, I did not like the recycling toilet concept at all.

Based on this, I decided against spending the money they were asking for this trailer. Then, I went to see the Hilo at another dealer. When I asked the salesman if he would show me how it set up, he was glad to do it. In fact, he thought it was really fun to just push the button and watch it raise and lower. So did I. In my opinion, the Hilo wins hands down when compared to a Trailmanor based on set up and much higher quality.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

Default Hi-Lo vs Trailmanor

I own a 1998 2518 Trailmanor for the last 5 years. I have just purchased a 2806C HiLo. Have not used the HiLo yet so will focus on the Trailmanor. The 2815 has a slide out double bed at each end and they are very comfortable. Set up takes about 5 minutes for my wife and I or 10 minutes by myself. This doesn't count water,sewer and jacks which are common to both. Bath set up takes about two minutes of this set up time and is very simple. A hard wall bath room is actually an advantage over the HiLo IMO. The recirculating toilet is doable but not as nice as a flush toilet and black water tank. We get about 3 days on out recirculating toilet before dumping. The smell is minimumn until this time with proper chemicials and it flushes good. Please remember while reading this that I stand 6'3" and weigh 210#. The bathroom is small but they are all small to me even the one in my 2806C. I prefer to use the camp ground facilities for comfort. Can't stand completly straight in TM and I feel like I am wearing helment in HiLo but I can stand straight.
Our TM has an AC in the side wall not on the roof. Also keep in mind we are in Texas and camp in summer when temps usally avg 100 deg. I am really looking forward to the ducted AC as it should help air flow. Our TM has lots of windows but with no slide out seems cramped. We normally camp with two adults and two teenagers.
The trailer is well constructed for something with its weight. It weighs a fraction of the HiLo and pulls like it is not even there with our 2007 tundra. I definatly new the HiLo was there even with WDH and sway control but it pulled good on our 2.5 hour trip home. Our TM has never had a leak of any sort and is left outside uncovered. The HiLo seals seem to be tighter and looks like an advantage but it is also 8 years newer. We have never had a bug issue due to the TM seals but I am sure we have some air infiltration and probably the HiLo will also. The back bed on the TM is less convenient to get out of at night for the person in the back and would probably not consider for someone who is not flexiable.
All in all we have enjoyed out TM very much over the last 5 years and will enjoy the HILo into the future. I look at them as two different types of campers. The TM is a very hi class popup and has many advantages over most most other popups that I have seen. The HiLo is a full size travel trailer that lowers for travel to make wind resistance lower.
What is right for you might not be right for me and these items may change over time.
Brad Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default Hi Lo vs Trail Manor

Welcome to our forum Brad. I'm sure you will enjoy your 2806 [Classic?]. We have a 2406 T and have used it just three times and getting ready to hit the road next weekend. I have several posts on this forum for I ran into a pretty big problem with the roof and have just completed placing elastomeric paint over the aluminum roof. I would suggest you check your roof as I found [45] holes, pin size up to almost 1/2". We discovered our problem when we were tearing it down for the winter and found a sagging ceiling in the cabinet over the slide out.

Also check your end caps. If your 2006 model is like ours, they will be plastic rather than fiberglass. I had splits in the front and back end caps both stemming from the screws from the top and going down about 12" and have just completed repairs to both.

I also just changed all the butyl tape around every window and caulked them as well.

It was a lot of work but I feel confident that the Hi Lo will withstand a heavy downpour now without worrying about the roof leaking.

You will find a lot of helpful suggestions here on the forum. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
sam

Default New HiLo owner

Welcome to the forum. Besure to spend some time reading back posts for preventive maintenance and other good advice. I enjoyed your narative on the TM vs HiLo. You will find our forum members very helpful and good with answering questions. Will you be selling your TM?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #15

Default 2806C maint

I spent a lot of time reading the forum before purchase of 2806c. It is absolutly a great place for info and helped me check over the trailer for purchase. The trailer had some mold and tree sap which I cleaned with Jomax and bleach and a scrub brush and pump up sprayer. Jomax is a great soap and can be found in lots of places that sell paint. I operate a True Value hardware store and we have sold the product for years and I highly recommend it. The trailer looks great.
I had a soft spot around the rear passenger side window. We removed the window as per info found on forum. Replaced with new butyl tape and Lexal clear caulk. Lexal is also as good as everyone claims. The caulk used at the factory is pure trash and I was shocked to see what the condition of it was after 6 years. I have witnessed the Lexal to be as good as new 15 years later. My Mama always said "If a job is worth doing is worth doing it right the first time". We probably replaced 50% of the caulk on the trailer. We will definatly keep an eye on the roof. I have no penetration yet but saw some areas to keep an eye on.
On another note. We have a solar panel and corasponding switch in side. I assume the unit is charging the battery only if the switch is on. Should it be left on all the time even when traveling?
Brad Moss
Taylor, Tx
Brad Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #16

Welcome to the Forum, Brad! It sounds like you have things well under control there. You should be envied for having a "True Value", things that you have access to can put Home Depot and Lowes to shame. It is too bad that so many people have lost contact with what a hardware store can do that the big boxes can't, and that is "Provide Service". My best friend had a True Value and I went to "work" for him after I retired. All the items that were available in the catalog were assume. We special ordered all the time. If it wasn't hanging on a hook in the other store it didn't exist.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
sam

Default Just got a HiLo

Bradd, Welcome to the forum. So glad to hear you have benefited from reading back posts on the forum. When you have to remove and reseal a window you have a chance to see the condition of the interior wall. Was your interior wall wet? What roof do you have alum or rubber? I just love our local Ace True valu hardwear store. It is across town and a little out of the way. I get my Lexell caulk there. They also ordered in the Georgia pacific paneling i needed for my 90 HiLo Classic restoration. They have or can get things you need. Many happy camping trips.