Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Chit Chat > General Hi-Lo camper discussion

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Hi-Lo vs.Trail Manor

This was posted as a message in my inbox by Bethany, but I believe that it was to be posted on the forum.

" Hi,
My husband has been wanting a popup camper for about 10 years now. As young parents, we used to own one,, then sold it and purchased a used airstream. We loved it, but kept it in one location. After being transferred, we sold it because he hates pulling a large camper. For his 60th birthday, I would like to buy him a used camper. Looking at the Hi-Lo or Trail Manor. Does anyone know pros or cons between the two? Thanks Bethany "
Luke 1:49

Last edited by vannooch; 01-17-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

First of all, welcome to the forum Bethany!

The HiLo is a much better built trailer IMO. I looked at both when buying mine and found the build quality of the HiLo much better. You have only to push a button and your tariler is set up with the HiLo. You will have double axles in most cases with the HiLo. If weight is an issue, you can look at a tow lite model which will be lighter than a classic.
There are members that have owned both and I'm sure that they will chime in.
Don't be afraid to ask question, you will find that the members are ready and willing to answer.
Luke 1:49
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Default HiLo vs Trailmanor

Several families in our camping club have owned Trail Manors. They reported that they were of inferior quality and leaked. Our Rv dealer refuses to take any TrailManors in on trade. Welcome to the forum. I promise you that you will not be sorry if you purchase a used HiLo. Read the forum as often as you can. We are here to answer any questions that you have. What is your tow vehicle?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM

My HiLo dealer friend used to show people how easy it was to raise and lower a HiLo at the RV show. Then he would tell them to go to the Trailmanor dealer's display and have him show how easy it was to set one of them up. The guy would not do it.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM

The two sticking point with trail manor for me was the re-circulating toilet and the drafts. I dry camp in dusty and windy areas and was afraid the trailmanor would fill up with dust. The Trail manors are bigger when opened up but my hi-lo is big enough. Less to clean even.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Trail manor vs HiLo

Rich R,got a chuckle out of your story. Something is really wrong when a salesman won't give a demo!!!! You tube has a video on the set up of a trail manor. I got tired just watching all the steps for set up.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM

for me, its a deal breaker if i have no window over the sink. who wants your head in a cupboard when doing dishes. all the trailM had no window over the sinks.
all the Hi-Los had huge windows and lots of counter space where the trailM had none.
not to mention the easy set up of the hi-lo.
but the TM had more interior space and ready made beds. but thats all they had. too much work
Old 01-19-2012, 02:52 PM

The Hi-Los have more windows than almost any brand of trailers. I love that about them.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM

Check out this thread I wrote about a year ago. Coming back to Hi-Lo I've owned both in the last year and I discuss the pros and cons of each. I Like Hi-Lo better overall.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Default HiLo vs Trail Manor

When I was growing up we had a tent for camping. Then my mother purchased a camper to go with my dad's 1/2 ton pickup. Three people in the truck cab and four in the back. I know the truck wasn't rated for all that weight. We went to 1000 Islands and the truck broke down. Can't remember what broke,but it got repaired. Had a slight accident as my dad pulled into a street park and the corner caught a less than straight telephone pole. Duct tape and new turn buckles. Got it home and dad parked it in the yard and let it rot. Several years later he bought a truck that was meant to have a camper and never bought one. Moral of the story,never purchase anything unless you both are in agreement and have done yourhomework and research. We had a Palamino popup for 6 yrs. and now we have owned the 25ft.Classic for 11 yrs. Didn't think about how many windows we have in our HiLo's. The counter space is very adequate for our needs. Some HiLo's even have a tip out for aditional room. Our hiLo has held up under severe wind and rain storms. I know we will get many more years out of old faithful. No matter what goes wrong it is repairable.