Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 05-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #1

Default Hi from New Orleans!!

Hey folks, I've been lurking the board for a while, I finally thought I would introduce myself. My name is Jack, I'm 35, and obviously from the thread title, I'm from New Orleans. I am the proud semi-new owner of a 1996 Hilo breeze. Previous to this I had (still have) a 77 holiday rambler. I never sought out specifically after a Hilo, I just wanted something that I could pull with my truck. I have an 08 Silverado, I own an auto repair shop here in the city and routinely carry enough tools with me to rebuild an engine, so the advantage of having my truck with me while I'm camping is pretty much plain to see. I ran across this breeze and at the price I couldn't pass it up. Unfortunately the previous owner neglected the routine maintenance and it will need a little TLC to be brought back to its former glory. The first and foremost problem is the dreaded roof leak. Fortunately the visible damage inside is almost nonexistent except for one small spot. I know that doesn't mean anything and the walls could be destroyed on the inside, but in this case I'm betting against it. Some trim I guess started to come off at some point and the previous owner figured more caulk = more better. Lol. At this point my first plan is really just to clean the roof and assess the damage. I don't know what kind of tree he had this thing parked under, but it was one serious tree. LOL. I have a few rolls of eternabond that I plan on taking care of the trim with and I figure I'll end up koolsealing the entire roof. Other than that, the trailer really is in fabulous condition. any thoughts or comments are very welcome. I'll be creating a thread for the work to kind of document my progress in case anyone else can benefit from it. I'm hoping for a lot of happy years in my trailer camping with my wonderful wife and my two beautiful daughters and here on the board as well. 😋
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (208.4 KB, 11 views)

deadworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #2

The inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (214.9 KB, 10 views)

Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

The rest of the inside lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (192.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Last one I promise LOL. I started with cleaning the roof today. It took quite a bit of work to get this little bit clean, unfortunately It began to rain. How can someone let the roof get like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (248.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworld View Post
Last one I promise LOL. I started with cleaning the roof today. It took quite a bit of work to get this little bit clean, unfortunately It began to rain. How can someone let the roof get like this?
Welcome to the forum Deadworld, and lots of luck with your project. I don't know anything about the Hilo Breeze, but I'm sure there will be someone that will have some sage words.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply Garry, i've been a mechanic for over 20 years so I think I've pretty much got everything figured out. I've done a lot of reading and searching on the forum and picked up quite a bit more information. My 77 Rambler is about 40% done on the restoration now. A lot of fun! I'm only 35, I'm glad I started early LOL
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #7

A picture of my rambler. 1977, Chevy 350 with 83,000 miles on it. I picked it up from A nice older guy for an extremely cheap price. He and his wife had bought it to restore and got quite a bit of work done to The undercarriage before I purchased it. Due to bad health complications it set up for a couple of years and he could never get it running. Rebuilt carburetor and a new mechanical fuel pump and she purrs like a giant kitten 😋
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (340.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
sam

Default Welcome to the forum

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum. The Breeze looks like a nice little camper. It should do fine with a little TLC. Before you know it you will be camping.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

Deadworld, thanks for posting you Breeze! We just picked up a 1996 Breeze. Interior and exterior is in great shape. Everything works. Just needs new axles, suspension is shot. Replacing with Dexter Torflex axles. Stilling looking for an owners manual.

Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote