Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #1

Default How do you ant-proof during winter storage?

We stored our 1994 Funlite for the winter near some woods. (big mistake) We put in some ant bait and made sure there was no food or anything to attract ants or bugs (except the ant bait, I guess). When we brought the camper to our house to get it ready for a trip, there were literally millions of ants! I mean they weren't visiting---they moved in with all their extended family and friends! I think the whole woods moved into the walls of our HiLo!!!!! They were so thick that you couldn't see the floor in some places!

If you even touched the weather stripping around the door they swarmed out of that carrying their babies!!!!!

My husband pulled out the ant bait we had left in the trailer and cut them open to see if they were empty. They were full, not even touched! I guess these ants didn't like it. I think it was Andro.

Anyway, we have been spraying, bug bombing, Terro liquid ant baiting, borax powdering, and putting every kind of poison you can think of in this camper for over a week now! It is now a toxic dump. However, when I look inside, I can still see some ants trooping happily over the poison powder.

I have decided when the ants are gone, I am going to scrub down the camper, replace the counter tops, paint the cabinets and walls, and hope the ants and poison don't get us.

Any tips for next year? Obviously, no parking near the woods!!!

Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

If you can find out what kind of ants they are then you may be able to find out what kind of poison is effective on them. I think that I would do something to ant proof the area the trailer is parked on. "Seven" granules sprinkled around the area, and bait that they will go for outside to keep them from wanting to go inside would help. My best guess. Hope you get them.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #3

We have never had ants in our camper- as you say, being very careful about foods that attract ants is good, but we also spray tires jacks, stabalizers and anything that touches the ground and your trailer. This has kept us ant free, in some ant infested camp grounds. I have also heard that bay leaves scattered in your trailer will keep the ants away- not sure if that works, but they smell pretty good. (-:
Pipers Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipers Family View Post
We have never had ants in our camper- as you say, being very careful about foods that attract ants is good, but we also spray tires jacks, stabalizers and anything that touches the ground and your trailer. This has kept us ant free, in some ant infested camp grounds. I have also heard that bay leaves scattered in your trailer will keep the ants away- not sure if that works, but they smell pretty good. (-:
what did you spray the jacks, tires, etcetera with?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #5

We have used some different things. None are as earth friendly as I would like, but they aren't ant friendly either. The one we have now is Ortho Home Defense Max, but we have used Orthene and liquid Sevin, both more "green" options than the Home Defense.
Pipers Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Site Team

I like the Home Defense Max myself, for our home. We have not had ant problems in the trailer yet.

- Jack
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Default Ant problem

I can sympathize with anyone with ant problems, we had a major problem with
wood (carpenter) ants getting into our towlite this year. I used several kinds of bait and bug bombs to no avail. I finally got a box of amdro bait stations which
didn't seem to do anything till I popped a couple of them open and enticed several of the ants to taste the enclosed morsels. After several minutes the bait stations were covered with ants and a few days later I could not find
any living ants inside the camper.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #8

I looked up Amdro and I see it is good for spiders as well.
AMDRO - Kills Ants Stakes & Bait Stations
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #9

Dry instant grits, they expand when the ants eat them, killing the ant. Used to spread them on my lawn in Fl to keep the fire ants at bay, works pretty well.
ducatidom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #10

Default i used cornmeal for ant's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidom View Post
Dry instant grits, they expand when the ants eat them, killing the ant. Used to spread them on my lawn in Fl to keep the fire ants at bay, works pretty well.
ant's just love it
they eat it
go back to their nest
the cornmeal makes them fart
the gas kills the queen
ants go away
bluewindsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #11

Well, the update is I think the ants are gone now. (let's hope) I am now in the process of priming and getting ready to paint. We are planning on going to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN in a couple of weeks. Woo hoo! (we've never been). Thanks for the tips on ant control! I looked on the internet and I couldn't decide what kind of ants they are other than teeny black ones. I'm going to try the bay leaves.

Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote