Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Community Forums > General Hi-Lo camper discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Default How to measure trailer length? AND ROOF REPAIR?

I went to looked at what was suppose to be a 1977 16'[INSIDE) hilo. 18 ' too the tongue. Well as soon as I saw it had double axles I knew it was a longer model and to heavy for my vehicle. But I am totally confused as to what size it was, And in how to measure to see what size it was. The bottom half of the trailer did measure about 16 ft. But the upper half of the trailer from the widest or longest point was about 19 ft. And to the hitch ball connector at the front of the tongue it was a whole 24 ft. long I thought the tongue length was usually just 2 to 3 ft longer then trailer length at the most. this was 8 ft longer at the tongue top then the bottom of the trailer itself length. I was wondering if it might have even had a different longer front tow hitch part put on. Well in general to try and know what size of trailer I'm looking at should the inside trailer length be measured at the bottom to top half of the trailer. So if it was a 18 ft model should fit generally be 16 foot long at THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE TRAILER; OR THE LONGEST PART OF THE TOP HALF OF THE TAILER. IT APPEARS the Top half is several ft longer then the bottom half of the trailer. I never want to have another 6 hour totally wasted drive,it had on the front hitch a place that I think said 2181.No model number like that. The bathroom was separate at the very end of the trailer so I figured it was a 24 ft model. but the inside layout didn't fit AQNY of the 1977 floor plans. Also the whole bathroom ceiling has water damaged and totally rooted. He said he thought it was from the roof vent. I guess this is very probable but the bathroom rood seem to press own a lot easier then the rest of the roof which worry me alot. It seemed to be aluminum Or possibly fiberglass( but I didn't think hi lo EVER MADE A FIBERLASS ROOF) It was all painted or coated by a thin white coating. Any way I was considered even if the roof vent and bathroom ceiling would be replaced the roof still wouldn't be any good . Maybe the roof it self didn't seem near as strong because the trailer ceiling actually gives the roof some support? any thoughts would be appreciated,. He was selling it cheap and I was even considering getting it and having the roof fixed and then try and trade for a small hi lo I might then be able to afford. But I thought it might end up being a bad mistake.

moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #2

model 2181. From what I've read on this website that would be a 1981 21 foot Hi-lo

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
gus

I agree with Gary, my trailer is 21' from tongue to bumper, and the bottom part of the trailer is 16', the top is larger by 1' on each side, so 18' for top.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Some other people on this forum have found that the axles are no longer made and brake parts are not available.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #5

Thanks loads. I think it is the 1981 21 ft. funchaser .I found an exterior pic of one and they look the same. The weight may just be do able on the far heavy end.I may make him a offer. Now i'm worried if the roof repair is do able. Very odd he has a 1977 trailer title for it. That shouldn't be a problem for me in getting title changed in my name should it?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Be sure the serial numbers match.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
sam

Default should i purchase HiLo.

PopRichie 77 pointed out that axles and brake parts are no longer available if it is a 1977.You would have to buy different axles(very expensive). I would hate for you to have to deal with roof repairs after you just bought this unit. I vote no for purchasing this unit.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #8

thanks for feed back. the roof repair scared me off. don't know what the problem really was.