Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Hi-Lo camper discussion The perfect place to discuss your Hi-Lo camper

Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #1

Default Kinda moot point now

-Poor workmanship
-Floor plan
-That stupid front lexan window
-Your Quality Control department sucks
-Ridicules plastic propane tank cover, screws up the ridicules lexan window
-No rock guard on poorly designed front window 2311H
-MaxxAir or some other vent cover should be standard
-Lack of storage, interior and exterior
-Make the dinette bunk at least 80"
-Take a lesson from trailmanor on the entry door design
-Your factory exhaust fans are useless, Hengs Vortex or Fantastic should be standard on a $30,000 camper
-Your top half to bottom half seals let bugs in
-Wasp/bug screens on furnace and range hood should be standard
-You went bankrupt because you don't listen and could not change & would not accept consumer input on product design

btgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #2

I assume you've gotten rid of your Hi-Lo "piece of Junk" already. A few of your complaints are generic to almost all TT's.

Concerning the floor plan, if it stunk why did you buy it?

Concerning the lack of storage inside and outside, unless you bought it sight unseen, that didn't change. If the lack of storage is a problem, why not buy a different TT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgorman View Post
-Poor workmanship
-Floor plan
-That stupid front lexan window
-Your Quality Control department sucks
-Ridicules plastic propane tank cover, screws up the ridicules lexan window
-No rock guard on poorly designed front window 2311H
-MaxxAir or some other vent cover should be standard
-Lack of storage, interior and exterior
-Make the dinette bunk at least 80"
-Take a lesson from trailmanor on the entry door design
-Your factory exhaust fans are useless, Hengs Vortex or Fantastic should be standard on a $30,000 camper
-Your top half to bottom half seals let bugs in
-Wasp/bug screens on furnace and range hood should be standard
-You went bankrupt because you don't listen and could not change & would not accept consumer input on product design

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #3

Quote:
"Originally Posted by btgorman View Post"
"Hi Everybody! We tent camped and canoe/boat camped for 20 years. Loved it then. We moved on to renting, and tried out travel trailers, tent trailers and cabins. That was not quite "it". After that we went through 2 truck campers. found it fun but that was not "it" either. Then I found a telescoping trailer called a Tow-Low. We bought it used. It towed like a dream. No more semi-truck coming up panic. We could pull into any camp site, any-where! The weather made no difference. Bring on the thunder storms, wind and let er rip. This was "it". No more "what if it's ok rubber roof? No more "whats the weather and wind forecast"? Well the Tow-Low has some years on it now. And they are out of business. I went for a demo on a Trailmanor. I was so dissapointed that we started using hotels. Then I started shopping for a Hi-Lo. As usual I go look at a new unit and walk away waiting for a better unit or better deal. We have shopped for a new camper for a year now. Then Hi-Lo goes out of business. It's now or never. I found a 2011 Hi-Lo, 2311H. This time I didn't walk away. I bought a Hi-Lo for a price I still don't believe. I have drooled over the Hi-Lo trailers at the camp-sites. Talked to the owners and walked away from a sale so many times. So, Hi Everybody I'm now a Hi-Lo owner."

Why have you become so negative about your HiLo? Judging from your initial post you seemed quite satisfied with your shopping experience and final purchase and what you paid. I think the HiLo is a unique design and has as much put into them as can be expected considering that it is a telescoping type trailer. There are some tradeoffs you have to live with. You can always add a Fantastic Fan, MaxAir vent covers, and bug screens without great expense. I agree that the front window was not an award winning idea along with the poor choice of tank cover. But over two years of camping and quite a few miles on the road we have not had any problems with our 2310H that would not have been generic to any other travel trailer. I have been very happy with the HiLo when at the gas pump and the ease towing down the road, those are two of the biggest advantages HiLo has.

Hang in there, It will grow on you.

Added note: About the bugs getting past the seal, it sounds like you need to do a cable adjustment to get the top a little higher to get the two seals to meet.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
gus

who knows why they went bankrupt, but with the way the economy has been for the last 5 years there are hundreds if not thousands of companies that went bankrupt, and it wasn't their fault, most companies were too small to get government bailout. As far as the design of the Hi-Lo, its brilliant engineering, so sometimes a choice for exhaust fan might not be the best one, that's no big deal, and as far as exterior storage, just the fact that the top overlaps the bottom limits the storage on the outside, on the inside I see plenty of storage in mine.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #5

I very much enjoy my Hi-Lo. I had a bad day and my camper was the target after something minor went wrong on our last trip. I was kinda looking at it as if the "New Hi-LO" does get produced things I would like to see. However, I had a phone conversation with Joel the former plant manager. Talked about the Lexan window and a couple other things. One of which he new had been a problem was his assembly crew going staple happy on the build. Which looks bad in some areas. And that triggered the quality department statement. And the bug thing was actually yours truly leaving the door ajar, which I did not know at the time
btgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #6

Default Storage

Just a storage observation. Before Hi Lo life for the wife and me we owned a 5th wheel. We find that we have more storage now than we did in the 5th wheel. Normally travewl with a couple of the upper storage cabinets empty.
Thanks for allowing my 2 cents worth.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
who knows why they went bankrupt, but with the way the economy has been for the last 5 years there are hundreds if not thousands of companies that went bankrupt, and it wasn't their fault, most companies were too small to get government bailout. As far as the design of the Hi-Lo, its brilliant engineering, so sometimes a choice for exhaust fan might not be the best one, that's no big deal, and as far as exterior storage, just the fact that the top overlaps the bottom limits the storage on the outside, on the inside I see plenty of storage in mine.
I'm told that the original owner of HiLo retired, sold the business to his son.
'Sonny boy' had other interests, lost interest in HiLo and closed the business.
I hadn't heard that it went 'bankrupt'.
As for the design of the HiLo, no complaints after owning a 2308C for six years now.
Exhaust Fan? I have a Maxxaire on both outlets. My mate complained about the Fantastic fan noise, so I installed two 10 Ohm resistors in parallel, to the power cord, sitting in the airflow, and slowed the fans down. They still work good without excessive noise. A Fantastic Fan went in the bathroom vent to replace that OEM 'cheezy' noise maker.
The Maint. Mgr. at Campkins told me NOT to run the fans fast, or they will overheat due to lack of airflow going through the 'no-see-um' screens. I replaced those screens in the Maxxaires, with larger screen (5/32" mesh.)
I t works, and still keeps the bugs out..
Storage? Yah, could be better; live with it!
"Someone" above had bugs coming in? Adjust the cables to level the top better. It's not hard to do. "Someone" also didn't like the propane bottle covers. Mine work just fine.
For what it is, the HiLo is a great little mobile home; my only minor complaint being the fact that I have to use the sofa as a bed. Not the easiest to make up, and the wife has to crawl over me to get to the biffy.
FYI: I tow it with a 6-cyl. 4-Runner, no sweat, and do Not need a sway control. (I pump my tires up to 40 PSI. to control it.)
Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

Surprisingly, I'm going to come to BT's defense. He came back on here and came clean about having a bad day.....how many of the rest of us would show up a day later and admit that we were just "blowing off a little steam?"

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote